Matty Johns Podcast

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon64

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
For those of you with Foxtel, the most recent edition of the Matty Johns Podcast focuses entirely on the Super League War.

For those of you younger that 35, ask your dads. @:D

Fascinating stuff and some great stories about what went on.

Ch 500 at 3:30 today or Ch 502 at 1:30 or 5:30. Maybe IQ it and watch it later.

Yeah it was a good one last night. Interesting the info about how hard they went after Newcastle. I think in arkos book it actually mentioned the key club in the war being the bulldogs. If the bulldogs never went, SL would never have happened. I think that was due to SL needing that big Sydney club at the time. (Penrith and Cronulla didn’t really count). I think that’s how I recall the story.

Really interesting.
Super League V ARL, with so much BS coming at them, it would’ve been hard to know what to do.
The yarn about the projector breaking down was amusing. :)

Yep, watched it last night and my 14yo daughter came in halfway through so tried to explain it to her as best as I could.

As an aside. a mate of mine's best mate was playing 1st Grade for Manly at the time - couldn't believe the amount of money his contract went up by for staying where he was going to stay, he was never on the SL radar so that part of the story with players rocking up in new BMW's etc rings true.
To think players like Steve Edmed at the Tigers become $500k players just for staying loyal, unbelievable timing.

When they started talking about the save Souffs march, I had to tell my daughter that her mother was a part of it - she worked for a promo company at the time and they were paid to wear red and green and sing the song.
I still bag my wife about it, it was dirty money, she would have more fun and respect being a hooker.

For those of you with Foxtel, the most recent edition of the Matty Johns Podcast focuses entirely on the Super League War.

You can also catch it up on Spotify or here

Also available free on podcast apps for those that don't have fox. Fascinating listening about players on 15k per season getting offered multi million dollar, multi year deals.

Yep, watched it last night and my 14yo daughter came in halfway through so tried to explain it to her as best as I could.

As an aside. a mate of mine's best mate was playing 1st Grade for Manly at the time - couldn't believe the amount of money his contract went up by for staying where he was going to stay, he was never on the SL radar so that part of the story with players rocking up in new BMW's etc rings true.
To think players like Steve Edmed at the Tigers become $500k players just for staying loyal, unbelievable timing.

When they started talking about the save Souffs march, I had to tell my daughter that her mother was a part of it - she worked for a promo company at the time and they were paid to wear red and green and sing the song.
I still bag my wife about it, it was dirty money, she would have more fun and respect being a hooker.
To be honest, took part in that walk myself. Did not agree that a company could take ownership of the game and go against the credos that ultimately it is the volunteers that make clubs. Can remember getting to Sydney town hall and looking back to Central station and still seeing people coming up George Street. Must have been 100,000 people there. The Telegraph reported it as 10-15 thousand. Go figure !!!!

Propably the most interesting podcast so far.I have a mate since 1996 hasn’t forgiven manly for not joining super league his theory back then was take the money plus we wouldn’t have to merge with norths.He knew it wasn’t going to last & the club would still have money.

It’s amazing how that period just obliterated rugby league. Seriously how good was the Winfield cup in the early mid 90s. I remember in nz at the time it felt bigger than Union. Not sure how it compared to afl here at the time. The super league came and in that 96/97 period union became professional and super 14 just grew.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4