Matt Parcell

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
I don't understand why people blame the coach when players get moved on when said players then play less than a handful of NRL games for the rest of their career.

Tom Symonds - 0 NRL games and 12 Super League games, then retired
Blake Leary - 3 NRL games for the Cowboys, then went to England/USA
Matt Parcell - 0 NRL games and then went to Super League

As for Nicho Hynes, after being in our 2015 Holden Cup side he spent 3 full years in reserve grade elsewhere before his NRL debut at the Storm, and has only played 26 career games in 3 years since. In hindsight it's easy to say we should have kept him on the books until he came good, but in practice it's a bit trickier.

Some players certainly were near the end of their careers. But look at some of the players Manly let go after Gutherson was encouraged to leave and now captains the Eels.
Matt Parcell. Released from Manly went to Leeds Warriors and assisted them to win the grand final
Jackson Hastings. Released from Manly went to Salford Devils who were cellar dwellers. Saved them from relegation and helped them the next year to play the grand final. Then to Wigan and also helped them to the grand final 2020. Was given Man of Steel Award for 2019
Joey Lussick. Junior Manly let go, played in same team as Hastings and now the Eels hooker
Koroisau. Let go from Manly now going great guns with Penrith
Tom Wright. Not wanted went to Brumbies and played for the Australian RU test side 2020.

Like I said there was a five year period when Manly's first grade selection policy, despite the restrictions, was poor. Junior recruitment has been top class and Des now has some good players coming through. All this is no reflection on Des or the Fultons junior recruitment policy. This was pre 2020

I'm convinced that if Des had never left we would have picked up an extra 2-3 premierships and our squad would be in much better shape.

Some players certainly were near the end of their careers. But look at some of the players Manly let go after Gutherson was encouraged to leave and now captains the Eels.
Matt Parcell. Released from Manly went to Leeds Warriors and assisted them to win the grand final
Jackson Hastings. Released from Manly went to Salford Devils who were cellar dwellers. Saved them from relegation and helped them the next year to play the grand final. Then to Wigan and also helped them to the grand final 2020. Was given Man of Steel Award for 2019
Joey Lussick. Junior Manly let go, played in same team as Hastings and now the Eels hooker
Tom Wright. Not wanted went to Brumbies and played for the Australian RU test side 2020.

Like I said there was a five year period when Manly's first grade selection policy, despite the restrictions, was poor. Junior recruitment has been top class and Des now has some good players coming through. All this is no reflection on Des or the Fultons junior recruitment policy. This was pre 2020

Parcell was extremely ordinary, people got excited by his pace, Ben barely ran the ball. Havent heard of any NRL club that has tried to get him back

Hastings, punted by 3 NRL clubs, had talent, Will be interesting to see how he goes upon return. Leuluai smashed it for Wigan for many years, came back to the NRL and was average

Lussick, getting a game or 2 on the back of injuries

Api, going great guns, a Chrystal ball with Fainu would have been an interesting decision

Wright, didn’t have what it took to do the hard yards, becoming a wallaby not exactly a tough achievement at the moment

Parcell was extremely ordinary, people got excited by his pace, Ben barely ran the ball. Havent heard of any NRL club that has tried to get him back

Hastings, punted by 3 NRL clubs, had talent, Will be interesting to see how he goes upon return. Leuluai smashed it for Wigan for many years, came back to the NRL and was average

Api, going great guns, a Chrystal ball with Fainu would have been an interesting decision

Wright, didn’t have what it took to do the hard yards, becoming a wallaby not exactly a tough achievement at the moment
I had a call from Dave Rennie the other day wanting to know if I wanted to lace on the boots again. I said I was too busy as I had to mow the lawns. :rolleyes:

I accept your opinion as you see it, but I didn't see Parcell that way and considered him superior to Api from what I saw. Mind you Api improved after Parcell had left but that still doesn't justify letting Parcell go. But I recall many on here being amazed we kept Api and let Parcell go, Api got the guernsey more often than not probably because Barrett had brought him across from Penrith.

If these guys were so poor how is it they were so successful elsewhere. As far as the issue with Hastings as I understand it, I agree that he probably had personality issues, but then I would get frustrated with what was on offer . He came over to Manly to get a chance at first grade. Only played 8 games in 2017 (selected in nine) and didnt pay more than not one more than half a game, in fact generally about a quarter of a game as well as not getting game time in one and averaging a little over 17 minutes on the field per game. In 2018 he played three games for a total of 67 minutes. Not exactly a good way to determine a player's ability wouldn't you say. Tom Wright played only four games, one for 9 minutes in first grade at Manly, two of his introductions were against the grand finalists Sydney City and Melbourne, yet he's been adjudged no good. Two players who can make things happen and Barrett for differing reasons ignored them for most of the season almost sending Manly to the spoon.

As is reported, Hastings was not punted from St George or Sydney City. He left St George after being an Australian School boy rep and never played first grade there. SC offered him a three year contract so he took up the offer. He left SC because he could see he wasnt going to get game time and Manly offered to buy out his contract. Only at Manly was he shown the door. Since then he has gone from strength to strength. From what I read he only left his starring roles in UK where he played four tests in 2019 and a Combined Nations All Star match in 2021, because he wanted to come back home and I dont think McGuire is a stupid coach in getting him on a 2 year contract with the Tigers.

I respect your opinion, but I stand by what I said.

Api the only one who starts in our current team in their respective position from that lot

Api the only one who starts in our current team in their respective position from that lot

Based on what?

It's a completely different sport compared to when these blokes where at Manly.

Based on what?

It's a completely different sport compared to when these blokes where at Manly.
You'd start Gutho over Turbo?

Hastings over Foran or DCE?

Tom Wright over Garrick or Saab?

Just my opinion but I feel a lot of our moved on players get severely overrated. Only a few slipped through the fingers (JWH, Api, Gutho, Hynes) and that is true of every club.

As for the hyperbole of it being a completely different sport....please, it is a sped up version of the same sport. It isn't suddenly ice skating

No question he's improved out of sight since 2016. But in 2016 he stalled the attack and if you look back at what was written from this site then, you'll see a general consensus in that regard.

You'd start Gutho over Turbo?

Hastings over Foran or DCE?

Tom Wright over Garrick or Saab?

Just my opinion but I feel a lot of our moved on players get severely overrated. Only a few slipped through the fingers (JWH, Api, Gutho, Hynes) and that is true of every club.

As for the hyperbole of it being a completely different sport....please, it is a sped up version of the same sport. It isn't suddenly ice skating

Its not an either and or about Turbo and Gutherson. We had them both and would have found ways to utilise them. Hastings was never going to replace DCE. His role was hooker at Manly and would have been an excellent foil for Fainu. Tom Wright in my opinion is more skilful than either Garrett or Saab. He could create things on his own. Not as fast as Saab, but easily as fast as Garrett. Not sorry to have those guys with us, but I think Wright would have been an outstandingly creative wing or centre, given the chance to develop. Des would have made a champion player out of him.

Give it a week or two, the bulldogs will throw some cash at him, after all they are trying to buy every player they can. That war chest they have must be a deep one

Its not an either and or about Turbo and Gutherson. We had them both and would have found ways to utilise them. Hastings was never going to replace DCE. His role was hooker at Manly and would have been an excellent foil for Fainu. Tom Wright in my opinion is more skilful than either Garrett or Saab. He could create things on his own. Not as fast as Saab, but easily as fast as Garrett. Not sorry to have those guys with us, but I think Wright would have been an outstandingly creative wing or centre, given the chance to develop. Des would have made a champion player out of him.
Each to their own I guess.

I saw Wright as a highlight real player who couldn't defend.

Hastings as a solid halves option for a bottom 8 team

Parcell as quick but no real game intelligence and poor service.

Gutho I was at the time dissapointed we let him go for Walker and I stand by that.

Api agreed with at the time but you could have never forseen the Fainu situation.

Differing views on players aside, hindsight is 20/20 and you can't keep them all

I accept your opinion as you see it, but I didn't see Parcell that way and considered him superior to Api from what I saw. Mind you Api improved after Parcell had left but that still doesn't justify letting Parcell go. But I recall many on here being amazed we kept Api and let Parcell go, Api got the guernsey more often than not probably because Barrett had brought him across from Penrith.

If these guys were so poor how is it they were so successful elsewhere. As far as the issue with Hastings as I understand it, I agree that he probably had personality issues, but then I would get frustrated with what was on offer . He came over to Manly to get a chance at first grade. Only played 8 games in 2017 (selected in nine) and didnt pay more than not one more than half a game, in fact generally about a quarter of a game as well as not getting game time in one and averaging a little over 17 minutes on the field per game. In 2018 he played three games for a total of 67 minutes. Not exactly a good way to determine a player's ability wouldn't you say. Tom Wright played only four games, one for 9 minutes in first grade at Manly, two of his introductions were against the grand finalists Sydney City and Melbourne, yet he's been adjudged no good. Two players who can make things happen and Barrett for differing reasons ignored them for most of the season almost sending Manly to the spoon.

As is reported, Hastings was not punted from St George or Sydney City. He left St George after being an Australian School boy rep and never played first grade there. SC offered him a three year contract so he took up the offer. He left SC because he could see he wasnt going to get game time and Manly offered to buy out his contract. Only at Manly was he shown the door. Since then he has gone from strength to strength. From what I read he only left his starring roles in UK where he played four tests in 2019 and a Combined Nations All Star match in 2021, because he wanted to come back home and I dont think McGuire is a stupid coach in getting him on a 2 year contract with the Tigers.

I respect your opinion, but I stand by what I said.

In regards to Hastings at the roosters, they let Maloney go and gave Hastings that jersey, within a few months he was in reserve grade and they were happy to let him depart not long after

Wright was adjudged not ready for first grade, which was correct at the time on what he showed, he chose not to dig in and learn in reserves

There seems to be this belief that Tom Wright couldn't defend. He was a five eighth and full back so he had to be able to tackle. I know this is mainly junior stuff but the skill in attack is awesome and there are examples that his defence was strong. I never saw the kid as a poor defender at all. Not sure where that comes from. And as can be seen in Union he is one clever player we missed

There seems to be this belief that Tom Wright couldn't defend. He was a five eighth and full back so he had to be able to tackle. I know this is mainly junior stuff but the skill in attack is awesome and there are examples that his defence was strong. I never saw the kid as a poor defender at all. Not sure where that comes from. And as can be seen in Union he is one clever player we missed

The coaches at Manly didn't think he was a great defender which was why they gave him limited opportunities. He had some absolute howlers in the lower grades at times; absolute turn style. Wright and Parcell were/are grossly overrated on this forum. I know you think otherwise and you are certainly entitled to that opinion but my for me personally, I think the staff at Manly did the right thing in releasing/not renewing both of them.

I formed my opinion on that game against the Roosters when he was rightly hooked when he missed a tackle and didn’t bother to chase

Natural talent is great and he had that, but there also has to be work put into it, he bailed before putting the work in

I formed my opinion on that game against the Roosters when he was rightly hooked when he missed a tackle and didn’t bother to chase

Natural talent is great and he had that, but there also has to be work put into it, he bailed before putting the work in

In my opinion it was a bad move. This is a kid in one of his first games. Even Turbo missed some bad tackles and was out of position in some of his early games and I remember it well. It was discussed on this very forum. To make a judgement call so early in a player's career said to me the coach had unrealistic expectations. Players need time to settle in first grade. Des would never had made that move. He sticks with players and lets them develop. Good grief I remember one of the best half backs in the game , Sterling, in his first game played full back and was dreadful. I remember watching the game. Top players take time to become top players.

By the way a little info not generally known. Sterling was in fact a Manly supporter when he was growing up. Unfortunate he never had the opportunity of playing for his boyhood favourite team.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10
10 5 5 -13 10