Manly's survival

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Several of the previous posts have mentioned a relocation of The Mighty 'Eagles to the Central Coast; as a born and bred Gosford boy (East Gosford to be specific), I think, IMHO, relocating the team to the Coast will not work; no matter that I'd love it.

It didn't work with the ill conceived and executed North Eagles because we're hated by everybody, however loved by all of those who love Rugby League and the way we've traditional played the game, i.e. Silvertails.

The thing with the Coast, is that as we've never had our own team, people support whichever team they feel an affinity with and don't want to have another team forced down their throats by the NRL. Families often have divided loyalties (mine, Dad-the Chooks mostly, with a soft spot for the old Magpies, Mum- Saints since birth, me-The Mighty 'Eagles, brothers- Souths and Tigers); going through school, etc., everybody was the same and nobody will ever change. People moving to the Coast still follow their old team.

However much people like to think resurrecting the Bears will be a success (I'm looking at you Singo), the only way a fulltime NRL team will work, IMHO, is with a new franchise with its own colours, emblem and culture, even then it will take time, at least a generation, until all the old team loyalties have died out.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Weren't the Knights, Sharks, Titans, Tigers, Raiders , Storm all been bailed out or bankrolled by the Nrl/News ltd at various stages. We've never been bailed out or bankrolled by them so why would we have to go. Greensnot cant kick out a privately funded license unless the owners agree to relocate. Can't happen while the Penns remain in charge.

I think the bigger question here is Warringah Council! Brookie Oval is woeful and has been for more than 10 years. Whilst we can get the Centre of Excellence, do we or should we help the Council by developing the centre at Brookie or elsewhere? The council over a number of years charged the club way overs to use the ground but what have they offered in return, no spend, time restrictions, no local involvement in developing the site, offering zero guarantees moving forward for long term use of the oval after development. This council is out of control. Whom ever wins the State election on the weekend needs to be held accountable to make this work. Otherwise should we develop a viable football stadium at Narrabeen?

I think the bigger question here is Warringah Council! Brookie Oval is woeful and has been for more than 10 years. Whilst we can get the Centre of Excellence, do we or should we help the Council by developing the centre at Brookie or elsewhere? The council over a number of years charged the club way overs to use the ground but what have they offered in return, no spend, time restrictions, no local involvement in developing the site, offering zero guarantees moving forward for long term use of the oval after development. This council is out of control. Whom ever wins the State election on the weekend needs to be held accountable to make this work. Otherwise should we develop a viable football stadium at Narrabeen?

Please don’t take this comment the wrong way as I don’t live on the beaches BUT surely it must be clear to most of the locals who support the team that there’s no long term future there.

Governments aren’t going to throw hundreds of millions into it , council doesn’t want it to happen, Brookvale is doomed.

Within 2-3 years we’ll be forced out, move to 1) Gosford 2) SFS or lose your licence.

I’m not pro the idea just being realistic.

He's said that before though so nothing really new there. The next club that falls over is not getting bailed out.

True but its gonna happen, and he has said a decision could be made by the end of this season.

I'd say they already know who is going, just maybe not where.

I doubt they will start a team in Perth, way too expensive. But with the likely hood of little to no growth in $$$ with the next TV deal changes will be made before 2023. The new teams will be two from Perth, NZ and Brisbane.

Ask yourseIf one question. If you was to set up a new comp right now with 16 teams, where would you like them?

Any answer without a side on the northern side of of the harbour would be created out of bias against Manly.

Manly should be the safest of all Sydney teams.

Please don’t take this comment the wrong way as I don’t live on the beaches BUT surely it must be clear to most of the locals who support the team that there’s no long term future there.

Governments aren’t going to throw hundreds of millions into it , council doesn’t want it to happen, Brookvale is doomed.

Within 2-3 years we’ll be forced out, move to 1) Gosford 2) SFS or lose your licence.

Mate I hear what your saying but moving somewhere else (not northern suburbs) will mean the death of our club. My comments surrounded the morons that run the local council. Being we are a privately owned club, and with potential buyers, with money to spend on a centre of excellence which would not have been granted if we were being moved in the next 10 years?

Mergers would be more prevalent where there are number of Sydney clubs in close proximity ie Roosters / Souths, St George / Cronulla, St George / Bulldogs, Wests Tigers / Bulldogs.

Yes I accept that the current CEO of the NRL has shown a biased attitude to the destruction of Manly, but the thing that I find encouraging is that his tenure will only last a maximum of 3 years left. Hopefully the replacement will have a more balanced action plan to which we currently live under.

So what I am suggesting is a development at Narrabeen? Surely investors would fund the extra for a new ground being the Centre of Excellence is funded already.

I have always believed a genuine partnership with Central Coast/consistent games at Gosford was the way to go.
But Central Coast folks on ST say it can’t work.
Then I’ve got nothing, as clearly Brookie is doomed. The mythical Centre of Excellence would be a $20 million white elephant - doesn’t even fix the ground surface. No one will be building a stadium at Narrabeen (we may not even get one at Moore Park).
Would be good to see one more winning season, but it ain’t looking hopeful.
Happy to be proved wrong, in any respect, but will I be?

If only you could generate power

Bit hard when a succession of state governments since 1992 have sold off the states assets one by one, including all operating power stations, in order to try and recover the $3.1 billion debt run up by the collapse of the State Bank of SA. Instead of working their way out of debt, they have all gone for the quick grab for cash.....unfortunately its meant that we have almost noting left to build on because its all controlled by overseas interests which has meant that, surprise surprise, the state is still in considerable debt.

We may talk sense here, but there is little sense in what Government's do.....

Several of the previous posts have mentioned a relocation of The Mighty 'Eagles to the Central Coast; as a born and bred Gosford boy (East Gosford to be specific), I think, IMHO, relocating the team to the Coast will not work; no matter that I'd love it.

It didn't work with the ill conceived and executed North Eagles because we're hated by everybody, however loved by all of those who love Rugby League and the way we've traditional played the game, i.e. Silvertails.

The thing with the Coast, is that as we've never had our own team, people support whichever team they feel an affinity with and don't want to have another team forced down their throats by the NRL. Families often have divided loyalties (mine, Dad-the Chooks mostly, with a soft spot for the old Magpies, Mum- Saints since birth, me-The Mighty 'Eagles, brothers- Souths and Tigers); going through school, etc., everybody was the same and nobody will ever change. People moving to the Coast still follow their old team.

However much people like to think resurrecting the Bears will be a success (I'm looking at you Singo), the only way a fulltime NRL team will work, IMHO, is with a new franchise with its own colours, emblem and culture, even then it will take time, at least a generation, until all the old team loyalties have died out.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Being born and raised at Empire Bay (or Empty Bay, to be more accurate), I could not agree with you more. It will take way too long for it to be a success up there and I cannot see any scenario where a business case stacks up.

True but its gonna happen, and he has said a decision could be made by the end of this season.

I'd say they already know who is going, just maybe not where.

I doubt they will start a team in Perth, way too expensive. But with the likely hood of little to no growth in $$$ with the next TV deal changes will be made before 2023. The new teams will be two from Perth, NZ and Brisbane.

Ask yourseIf one question. If you was to set up a new comp right now with 16 teams, where would you like them?

Any answer without a side on the northern side of of the harbour would be created out of bias against Manly.

Manly should be the safest of all Sydney teams.
I'd definitely try to cram at least 5 teams between Redfern and Penrith.

We don’t have the crowd numbers or junior competitors to grow. We need to expand our boundaries. The Central Ciast should be our junior nursery HTF did the rorters get a shoe in? If junior players from the CC go through our juniors into grade then this will generate interest and draw supporters but this takes time. True supporters will travel I saw plenty at Leichhardt on Saturday. We need a long term plan there is no quick fix. Insulating ourselves is a mistake.

Shoddy Greenturd has hinted that some Sydney clubs may be forced out of the NRL, or relocated. He mentioned that there would no longer be any bail-outs to clubs in financial difficulties - as the NRL had done in the past - and this to me indicated that financial stability would be the criteria used to determine if a club would be cut.
Good. I believe this strengthens Manly's position.
Because the club is privately owned - and reportedly has other suitors willing to buy in - then as long as the owners are prepared to finance the club it should mean the club is safe.
The NRL shouldn't then be able to introduce artificial markers to measure viability, such as crowd numbers, the state of the club's home oval, on field performances etc. which they had when they kicked Souffs and Norths out of the premiership.
I guess it doesn't stop the owners from deciding to move the club to another location but I have faith that the owners truly love the Sea Eagles and would never consider this.
Thoughts?
He wil have in mind which team he wants relocated and will construct criteria to expose their particular weakness.

If said team were to improve in that particular area, then a criteria change would not be far behind.

His target will be either us, the Tigers or the Sharks. I think the Tigers are most vulnerable.

For one fXck the Titans off to somewhere. The add no value and have no fans. They've never been successful. Waste of space. Move them to somewhere else in Qld that will give a **** about having a team in the NRL?

I don't think it will be us but geez I don't think he will be going into bat for us when they decide which team or teams get sent packing.
Private ownership for all Franchises is what the ARLC want.

That way they never need to bail out a Franchise as either the owners inject more funds or owner onsells the franchise licence. Then the NRL can't get blamed by that Club's fans for relocating :nerd:

Manly are safe as long as people have weight challenges or want their refuse cleaned away :nod:

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8