Manly vs Rooster trial Saturday.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I haven't seen enough of Jono Wright to dislike as much as some ..... he is a Manly player now and I am happy to give him a chance, then ......we'll burn him.

I haven't seen enough of Jono Wright to dislike as much as some ..... he is a Manly player now and I am happy to give him a chance, then ......we'll burn him.
Solid and unspectacular,doesn't make a lot of mistakes,but doesn't wow you with a lot of skill.Will probably go ok but the sort of guy you look to always replace with someone better(a journeyman)

I also think Kennedy adds more value as a starter who can do high workload in defense then let Winterstein run at tired opposition where his strength lies.

Also disappointed with J Wright over Kelly.

Hastings hasn't had a run and needs to earn his place and Brown on the bench is his best position, I am comfortable with that for now.

Geez. I know it's a trial but it's hard to get excited when it's confirmed Jono Wright is our first back up centre. More disappointed that Wright is the first choice.

Kelly and Schuster already have shown more.

Marty at prop is interesting.

Allows another 2nd row to come in but I would have preferred Kennedy to start. He's a real workhorse, has experience and is a Hoffman style of player.
Winterstein hasn't really showed enough to be FG material in my opinion. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Brown in the team is disappointing but hope he finds some form.
Agree marty at prop interesting. Lock or backrow for him . If he is going to be used as a battering ram he will not be as affective say as a roaming or edge running back rower. His power seems to come running angles using his massive arms as a fend .

I think Marty at prop is more because both Darcy and Perrett are injured. I wouldn't read much into it though, I think Barrett is just seeing how others (Winterstein, Kennedy etc) shape up in the back row. I'd expect once Darcy is back that Kapow will be in the back row with Sironen. A bit surprising that Barrett doesn't use AFB at prop with Kapow in the back row though. I think it points to AFB's main role in the team this year.

Jono Wright at centre is a worry though. The thought that he is in front of Brian Kelly while both are behind Matty Wright is a scary one IMO.

It will be interesting to see if Pearce and Keary target Jorge and Uate with bombs on Saturday night.

Agree marty at prop interesting. Lock or backrow for him . If he is going to be used as a battering ram he will not be as affective say as a roaming or edge running back rower. His power seems to come running angles using his massive arms as a fend .

Big fan of Marty at prop. In my opinion he was ineffective at 2nd row at the beginning of the season when asked to play 8o mins. He became a different player late in the season when he went to prop and was interchanged. When he is at 2nd row our front row rotation suffers also, with him in we are always at strength and lose little during rotations..

I have said often I believe the plan is to have a kickarse front row, and hence the search for two big, mobile and skilful 2nd rowers.

Either 2 of Sironen, Winterstein, Kennedy and lane.

I remember the calls of how bad Marty was going when playing 80 minutes and only making 120m and 30 tackles last year.

Another coach can't win situation

I remember the calls of how bad Marty was going when playing 80 minutes and only making 120m and 30 tackles last year.

Another coach can't win situation

My view is based more on his effect on the game than any statistics. I would argue that in the later part of the year when interchanged at prop his efforts had a more direct impact on events.

Wow its conservative can't see how this gets us out of cellar.
Brian Kelly give kid a crack, scratching head at back row. Brown should not be picked ahead of Hastings.
Frank winenstein not nrl first grade what I have seen

Well that is our round one team with Matt Wright hopefully coming in for Jono Wright if he is fit (as Kelly seems Blacktown bound and Parker is injured).

Darcy coming back in will strengthen the side. It's left me kinda flat and disappointed TBH.

I think Jono will be fine, and Matt to replace him if he can? I'm confident of a solid roster by main season kick off.

I think our centres depth is sorting itself out, the Wrights might just be Right!

Big fan of Marty at prop. In my opinion he was ineffective at 2nd row at the beginning of the season when asked to play 8o mins. He became a different player late in the season when he went to prop and was interchanged. When he is at 2nd row our front row rotation suffers also, with him in we are always at strength and lose little during rotations..

I have said often I believe the plan is to have a kickarse front row, and hence the search for two big, mobile and skilful 2nd rowers.

Either 2 of Sironen, Winterstein, Kennedy and lane.
couldnt agree more, he's a power athlete not an endurance one. Get him on for 50-60 mins a game with an impact. 2nd row is not his best position IMO

My view is based more on his effect on the game than any statistics. I would argue that in the later part of the year when interchanged at prop his efforts had a more direct impact on events.
Also think his lateral movement in defence is a problem at 2nd row...can be exposed, simply cos he is too big. Yes he can run some great lines and shove defenders aside at will, but the workload and 'tough stuff' at prop suits him better IMO.

giphy.gif

Bees!

Ok I'll stop now. There is an all important trial on this weekend...

Ah, Ed the drummer.

I'll drag myself out of the 90's one day.

Go Manly!!!

Being "fine" just about sums up our approach to this trial.

Why be fine when you could at least give a record breaking Origin Jnr a crack....? Or an X-Australian rugby 7's player? Trials are for encouraging emerging talent.

Don't get the decision myself. Being safe won't win a premiership.

Just hope that this isn't the team come round 1....that's my hope.

I think you will find Matt is injured, but should be fine for round 1. He's also a good goal kicker. Jono, on the other hand seems popular with 20, so may be a handy replacement in the event of injury.

I also think Kennedy adds more value as a starter who can do high workload in defense then let Winterstein run at tired opposition where his strength lies.

Also disappointed with J Wright over Kelly.

Hastings hasn't had a run and needs to earn his place and Brown on the bench is his best position, I am comfortable with that for now.
Brown on the bench is his best position ?
He will be used as a utility to cover for the backs and the forwards as he did without affect last season

Brown on the bench is his best position ?
He will be used as a utility to cover for the backs and the forwards as he did without affect last season

I am a little confused, are you suggesting his best position is in the starting side?

Last year Brown spent far too many games starting, especially at centre. His best spot is bench imo.

On the bench he can still give hooker a break for 20 and 20 minutes in the back row or play back row off the bench, if there are no injuries. If there are injuries between api and himself we have 1-13 covered.

Playing Hastings on the bench means you are playing 2 hookers - an injury to a forward and you are 1 forward short, no injuries and you waste a bench spot on a hooker.

I am a little confused, are you suggesting his best position is in the starting side?

Last year Brown spent far too many games starting, especially at centre. His best spot is bench imo.

On the bench he can still give hooker a break for 20 and 20 minutes in the back row or play back row off the bench, if there are no injuries. If there are injuries between api and himself we have 1-13 covered.

Playing Hastings on the bench means you are playing 2 hookers - an injury to a forward and you are 1 forward short, no injuries and you waste a bench spot on a hooker.
I am not suggesting Brown should be in the staring side . All I was saying is that Brown is a utility player and master of no positions as he offers no impact .
Brown is our teams weakest link
imagesF5WXA851.jpg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8