Manly vs Rooster trial Saturday.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Homer Simpson.....

Smiling politely.

Edit: Music thread:
https://silvertails.net/threads/the-music-clip-thread.44836/page-107#post-874813

(Warning, it's scary in there.)

And go Footy go!
Yes Mr Glooobaaal
giphy.gif

So who takes his position?
Sironen is also a utility player who can cover for the backs and the forwards , so I would have the giant Shaun lane , or Tom Amone the prop from our NSW cup team. When they are fit to play I would have Parrett and Lussick ahead of our weakest link . Hasting can play fullback , centre , hooker , and lock , so if he proves his potential in our cup side I would also have him ahead of Brown .

The roosters have a big pack and a bench with impact players like Napa , Evans, Carter , and the brilliant utility Connor Watson so we have to match them fire with fire
Sea Eagles: 1 Tom Trbojevic 2 Jorge Taufua 3 Dylan Walker 4 Jono Wright 5 Akuila Uate 6 Blake Green 7 Daly Cherry-Evans (c) 8 Brenton Lawrence 9 Api Koroisau 10 Martin Taupau 11 Frank Winterstein 12 Curtis Sironen 13 Jake Trbojevic 14 Lewis Brown 15 Addin Fonua-Blake 16 Jarrad Kennedy 17 Nate Myles

I think Marty at prop is more because both Darcy and Perrett are injured. I wouldn't read much into it though, I think Barrett is just seeing how others (Winterstein, Kennedy etc) shape up in the back row. I'd expect once Darcy is back that Kapow will be in the back row with Sironen. A bit surprising that Barrett doesn't use AFB at prop with Kapow in the back row though. I think it points to AFB's main role in the team this year.

Jono Wright at centre is a worry though. The thought that he is in front of Brian Kelly while both are behind Matty Wright is a scary one IMO.

It will be interesting to see if Pearce and Keary target Jorge and Uate with bombs on Saturday night.
I think AFB on bench is more for balance for this match,otherwise Winterstein,Myles and Kennedy would be a pretty low key bench.

My view is based more on his effect on the game than any statistics. I would argue that in the later part of the year when interchanged at prop his efforts had a more direct impact on events.
I agree,I would rather have him kicking bxxx for 50 mins. than pacing himself for 70-80.

So, 13 reserves named against Souths and only 4 against the Roosters. As @maxta and @Woodsie have mentioned, I take it players from the Blacktown game might jump into the main trial in the 2nd half. No way they play with just 17, so I'm assuming Kelly, Bainbridge, Hastings, Cullen, Amone and Lane will be the likely candidates that will come up.

Do we think that any of these have a realistic shot of round 1 if no further injuries occur?

So, 13 reserves named against Souths and only 4 against the Roosters. As @maxta and @Woodsie have mentioned, I take it players from the Blacktown game might jump into the main trial in the 2nd half. No way they play with just 17, so I'm assuming Kelly, Bainbridge, Hastings, Cullen, Amone and Lane will be the likely candidates that will come up.

Do we think that any of these have a realistic shot of round 1 if no further injuries occur?
Denying any player who plays well a shot at the top 17 would work against the competitive spirit of the team . I would like to think that the coach helps the players who help them selves by putting is a good effort
I was at the trial match against the NSW Souths cup side and have not seen anything that Brown did that justifies him starting in our 17 .

I thought Baz would play Kelly in the team. He must have JWRight above Kelly.

Is it only 17 players in the team? Are we allowed to take more? Normally trials have 20+ players.

I thought Baz would play Kelly in the team. He must have JWRight above Kelly.

Is it only 17 players in the team? Are we allowed to take more? Normally trials have 20+ players.
Players that perfom well and are are fit to play from the Blacktown Workers match will be used

Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles team

1 Pita Godinet

2 Peter Schuster

3 Pat Mataele

4 Brian Kelly

5 Omar Slaimankhel

6 Cameron Cullen

7 Jackson Hastings

8 Tom Amone

9 Joey Lussick

10 Jake Samoa

11 Shaun Lane

12 Brendan Attwood (c)

13 Billy Bainbridge

Interchange

14 Kyle Eather

15 Jamil Hopoate

16 Tyler Cassel

17 Viliame Kaveinga

19 Jerry Key

20 Nick Kassis

23 George Tskirikas

24 Andy Fiagatusa

Last edited:
Sironen is also a utility player who can cover for the backs and the forwards , so I would have the giant Shaun lane , or Tom Amone the prop from our NSW cup team. When they are fit to play I would have Parrett and Lussick ahead of our weakest link . Hasting can play fullback , centre , hooker , and lock , so if he proves his potential in our cup side I would also have him ahead of Brown .

The roosters have a big pack and a bench with impact players like Napa , Evans, Carter , and the brilliant utility Connor Watson so we have to match them fire with fire
Sea Eagles: 1 Tom Trbojevic 2 Jorge Taufua 3 Dylan Walker 4 Jono Wright 5 Akuila Uate 6 Blake Green 7 Daly Cherry-Evans (c) 8 Brenton Lawrence 9 Api Koroisau 10 Martin Taupau 11 Frank Winterstein 12 Curtis Sironen 13 Jake Trbojevic 14 Lewis Brown 15 Addin Fonua-Blake 16 Jarrad Kennedy 17 Nate Myles

I see Hastings as a waste on the bench - if no injuries occur he offers very little value. Do not consider him a lock. I do think he will start as hooker later on this year.

Sirro can cover 5/8 so if you dump the utility role complete that is a possible option for halves replacement but an outside back would cripple us completely, maybe Winterstein at a pinch.

The question is what roles do we want our utility to be able to cover? For me it is halves, hooker and the backline. We will have 3 other positions on the bench to rotate through the forwards.

I think Hastings is an excellent cover for the halves, will be able to cover Hooker quite well, and can cover fullback or centre if needed (has been doing some training at FB apparently). I think he covers the backline and halves better than Brown.

I agree that there is no way you can have both Brown and Hastings on the bench. Brown will start on the bench ahead of Hastings - it's just what will happen. I would like to see Hastings take that role at some point in the season.

I see Hastings as a waste on the bench - if no injuries occur he offers very little value. Do not consider him a lock. I do think he will start as hooker later on this year.

Sirro can cover 5/8 so if you dump the utility role complete that is a possible option for halves replacement but an outside back would cripple us completely, maybe Winterstein at a pinch.
There is no bigger waste on the bench than Brown IMO

Sea Eagles: 1 Tom Trbojevic, 2 Jorge Taufua, 3 Dylan Walker, 4 Jono Wright, 5 Akuila Uate, 6 Blake Green, 7 Daly Cherry-Evans (c), 8 Brenton Lawrence, 9 Api Koroisau, 10 Martin Taupau, 11 Frank Winterstein, 12 Curtis Sironen, 13 Jake Trbojevic. Interchange: 14 Lewis Brown, 15 Addin Fonua-Blake, 16 Jarrad Kennedy, 17 Nate Myles.

Strong side no Hasting Brown on the bench I think this is closer to how they will run out round 1. Sadness for me is no Kelly or Hastings who would need the game time to be considered for round 1 imho.

Strongly considering heading up, anytime else going?

Denying any player who plays well a shot at the top 17 would work against the competitive spirit of the team . I would like to think that the coach helps the players who help them selves by putting is a good effort
I was at the trial match against the NSW Souths cup side and have not seen anything that Brown did that justifies him starting in our 17 .
@BOZO In the trial Did Brown get moved around or just played at hooker? I actually thought (Poo) played reasonably well at hooker for the kiwis in the World Cup. His delivery was spot on. He's a solid body and defended without any major weakness. He Didn't run or create. That kind of isn't Ballins strength either. I could handle that type of stability at Hooker for the first 20 mins and then Hastings coming in and carve up.

Brown would be too small to be a favourite of the immortal in the back row wouldn't he?

@BOZO In the trial Did Brown get moved around or just played at hooker? I actually thought (Poo) played reasonably well at hooker for the kiwis in the World Cup. His delivery was spot on. He's a solid body and defended without any major weakness. He Didn't run or create. That kind of isn't Ballins strength either. I could handle that type of stability at Hooker for the first 20 mins and then Hastings coming in and carve up.

Brown would be too small to be a favourite of the immortal in the back row wouldn't he?
In the trial against a South team which was made up mostly of NSW cup players Brown played the first half at hooker and in the second half Lussick played in the no 9 where he showed more spark than Brown who played similar to what he did last year and that was very ordinary .
Brown has to do more than what he did last year to impress me .
You think he had a good game in the last test match for New Zealand but I agree with the fox players ratings and this is what they though of his game
14. Lewis Brown. Tried his best to start something but just isn’t in Luke’s class 5
A rating of 5 is ordinary and that is what Brown produced for us last year and that is what he displayed at hooker against a Souths NSW cup side

We will agree to disagree feathered friend

In the trial against a South team which was made up mostly of NSW cup players Brown played the first half at hooker and in the second half Lussick played in the no 9 where he showed more spark than Brown who played similar to what he did last year and that was very ordinary .
Brown has to do more than what he did last year to impress me .
You think he had a good game in the last test match for New Zealand but I agree with the fox players ratings and this is what they though of his game
14. Lewis Brown. Tried his best to start something but just isn’t in Luke’s class 5
A rating of 5 is ordinary and that is what Brown produced for us last year and that is what he displayed at hooker against a Souths NSW cup side

We will agree to disagree feathered friend
I was at the trial thought brown did well his defence in my opinion was very good. He was far better than lussick who definitely has no spark and defence is very ordinary at best.

I was at the trial thought brown did well his defence in my opinion was very good. He was far better than lussick who definitely has no spark and defence is very ordinary at best.
We will agree to disagree

Observation about the lower grades this weekend.... Charlie Faingaa was being touted as a 'potential' only a month ago, but is now lining up for Blacktown's Massey Cup side. Anyone have insights here into what has gone wrong, if anything? He was training with FG not that long ago...

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10