Post-Game Discussion Manly v Warriors [Round 13, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Warriors
44 4 Pines Park
04 Jun 2022 19:35
80th minute

Match Stats

I haven't read the whole thread but it was pretty cool to see Saab point to the Manly badge when he was running away (in second gear) to score his try!

I know it's always easier when winning but the team really looked to be full of camaraderie tonight (especially after tries!)

"I hate playing for these boofhead truffle snodgers"
images

"Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah!!!!!"
View attachment 21276
The emotions he showed on that run were imo for the fans, but more so, for himself. Some self-belief, some lost confidence, and just a tonne of raging natural endorphins spilling over. It could be just the tonic he needs to kick start a much better second half of the season. Sometimes it just takes a special moment. I hope for Saabs and the teams chances of making the 8 this was the moment.

Last edited:
So much for Buzz Rothfield’s bold prediction, saying the Worriers were a fair chance of upsetting Manly tonight.
Rothfield is invariably wrong. It's a given. He said this yesterday about Ray Warren....
BuzzRothfield
June 5, 2022 - 8:51AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
"Ray Warren. Great man, velvet voice, accurate, no ego, true gentleman. Will be sadly missed"

The true halfback performance I look at this season was our win against the Raiders, where DCE kicked them to death. We don’t have anyone else in our squad capable of that.
Couldn't agree more. Any reason he can't do that every week ? His bad games are woeful and his good games are few and far between. All I want is some consistency from the Captain and playmaker. Warriors are hopeless and we'll never know what the performance would have been if DCE played last night. But no surprise to me that our right edge looked light years ahead of anything we've seen this year with Foran in the 7.

I was rather surprised by some of the comments made about Manly's win, especially the usual knockers of Schuster and DCE (who didn't play)

A few facts here
1.This was Manly's biggest win of the season and it was done without our two premier players Turbo and DCE
2. The Warriors are not cellar dwellers and have only had one bad loss all season before Manly hit them (the Storm game). They've defeated Brisbane, Nth Queensland and only just lost to Souths and Roosters. They are a middle tier side and Manly thumped them.
3 Schuster has only just come back from an extended injury and had played 5/8 only twice in first grade. And remember he has only just turned 21. Not match fit but still spun his magic. Rusty naturally. But do we overlook the fact that Manly's biggest win of the season was with him at 5/8. Was that of no consequence to the win? Not yet match fit for sure. But we have some very tough critics out there. I remember this same criticism of Walker, which unsurprisingly went quiet when Walker strung some excellent games together
4 DCE is a class player, one of the best half backs we've had at Manly. But he cant do it all on his own when the team are not functioning as a unit, which it hasn't been. Bit harsh to blame it all on him. Sure he over plays when the team is faltering. He may not be a great ball player, but he has other skills such as speed, a great kicking game, great defense, and a game winning ability, which few in the side have. Yes he makes mistakes but you place him in a side like Penrith and he would go gangbusters.

This side has several players to come back. Manly have copped injury problems to key players that have thwarted their efforts this year. I also don't like Des's compressed defense style, which leaves the backs exposed. Its a good side easily capable of a top 4 position...but not this year. Just needs stability.

Mate, I had to get off here last night. Couldn’t believe the negative shiit being posted. I wasn’t about to let it wreck my celebration mode. Went and watched the Beaver interview with Jake Duke to enjoy the moment.
You're right Wombat. I'm beginning to think some Manly supporters are just never happy.
What if the result was reversed and we lost 12-44?
Yes we won't be smashing the Panthers or the Drizzle this year. But a win's a win. It was a strong win.
Hopefully, a confidence building win.
Soak up the sunshine peeps.
I'm a happy Sea Eagle today.

Couldn't agree more. Any reason he can't do that every week ? His bad games are woeful and his good games are few and far between. All I want is some consistency from the Captain and playmaker. Warriors are hopeless and we'll never know what the performance would have been if DCE played last night. But no surprise to me that our right edge looked light years ahead of anything we've seen this year with Foran in the 7.
Had to laugh when Foz was being interviewed and Ennis asked him about Guac. Man Foz’ face lit up like a kid on Christmas Day. (I’m paraphrasing here), but Foz said I told him (Guac), be ready, I’m going to hit you with the ball as much as I can. Then Foz laughs and says by the 50 minute mark Guac was buggered I’d hit him so many times. Loved it.
Now, I’m not going on a DCE sink the slipper Sunday here, DCE s a smart bloke. No doubt he would’ve been watching the game, but especially the way Guac was brought onto the ball at speed.
All Des should have to say to DCE when he’s back on deck, is "that" Daly is how we play Guac into the game.

Last edited:
Guess that these type of wins are just relative in terms of a good result to get the side back on track again but to be tempered with the quality of opposition . Does seem to make a difference for Oloka - atu to get the ball just that little bit earlier in good position to be in full stride and damaging as compared to being a little flat footed regularly previously . Koula is a terrific broken field runner and hopefully will continue to be used much more . Harper still has obvious ability and improved defence lately maybe a confidence thing but will be facing better opposition again soon . Garrick such a good runner of the footy and Foz really good again . Just pleased to have Schuster back in any position to further develop his game . Pack did well despite some soft ruck opposition at times . Why the side reverted back to their previously negative attacking mode just after half time seemed less then ideal . Sure that there would be a general consensus that Manly should be a top 8 side even minus Turbo , results like last night will certainly help and players should have got a fair bit of positivity out of it .

Say what you like but the reason we won that game last night was because of the forwards.

Every one of them ( bar Lawton who only had a few minutes ) had their best games this year.

Any halves combination would have done well with the amount of possession we had and the field position we were getting.

After 20 minutes the Warriors had only 4 sets of tackles and had handed it over in almost every one of them.

Far too much emphasis is being placed on last nights halves combination as being the reason we won.

Granted they did well BUT they did well because the forwards dominated.

3rd last year in the Dally Ms and on the leaderboard again this year suggests that consistency is there

There are a lot of variables in week to week footy that effect what the halfbacks are able to produce. The true greats can overcome that, but they are the select few like Johns and co. Unfortunately our side on these variables are extremely inconsistent as well. When we were rolling up the field with ease last season, like we were last night, he was terrific as the Dally M points showed

Look around the comp now, the Raiders went out of their way to get a bog average player like Fogarty out of his contract such is the talent in the position, we are lucky to have one of the very good ones. I draw some parallels to Matt Orford who was slammed on here for years as a player who couldn’t get the job done

3rd last year in the Dally Ms and on the leaderboard again this year suggests that consistency is there

There are a lot of variables in week to week footy that effect what the halfbacks are able to produce. The true greats can overcome that, but they are the select few like Johns and co. Unfortunately our side on these variables are extremely inconsistent as well. When we were rolling up the field with ease last season, like we were last night, he was terrific as the Dally M points showed

Look around the comp now, the Raiders went out of their way to get a bog average player like Fogarty out of his contract such is the talent in the position, we are lucky to have one of the very good ones. I draw some parallels to Matt Orford who was slammed on here for years as a player who couldn’t get the job done

I would counter that with Dally Ms being extremely flawed. If judges watch a game and noone stands out, they will give it to a big name player.

It also favours highlights, so you could go missing in an unspectacular fashion for 79 minutes and slot a field goal to win the match, then you get Dally M points even if you not doing your job contributed to the opposition still being in the game in the last minute.

P.S. DCE is very good when we are rolling through teams but having a downhill skier on over a million a year is a rip off

Last edited:
The emotions he showed on that run were imo for the fans, but more so, for himself. Some self-belief, some lost confidence, and just a tonne of raging natural endorphins spilling over. It could be just the tonic he needs to kick start a much better second half of the season. Sometimes it just takes a special moment. I hope for Saabs and the teams chances of making the 8 this was the moment.
He's got to toughen up and stop getting picked up and carried backwards on hit ups. If only we could transplant that part of Jorge into him.

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10