Game Day: Manly v Titans [Round 5, 2018]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Not really the point. The point being that 60% of our backs squad aren't good enough for NRL first grade.
So given your 5 out of 7, what happens when 2 are injured and 1 is returning from injury and played accordingly.
We look and play like sh*t.
Actually it is the point. Not one NRL team has 7 blue chip players in the back line with another 7 waiting in the wings for injury to strike. Your argument has no substance.

Its easy and fun to blame everything on the NRL.
If the priorities had been set right we could have off loaded players to sign a half. The only players that should have been untouchable were DCE and T brothers. We could have shed forwards.
I would even have traded Kapow for a quality 6.
Teams can win with high quality halves but being a little light up front.
Very few teams are successful being light on halves.
"Teams can win being light on upfront", you're kidding right?
Certainly won't go deep into the finals with a light forward pack.

Well if you are reading this Marga, it was great to meet you at the game and thanks for driving out to Gladstone to support us as your company was great and hope to see you again in the future. Enjoyed it thanks and have a safe trip home.:h:

I also think it was the wrong call, but the reason why it was made was not because Barrett thinks Api is a better 5/8 than Hastings...it was to do with the rotation. Api was gassed (as was most of our team) and Baz knew he wouldn't be able to bench him so when Hastings came on, it was about giving Api a spell from defending in the ruck and moving around the play-the-ball.

I still don't think it was the right call but that was why he made it.

While I agree with the rotation part, one thing I did notice was that there were times when Api went back to dummy half and Jacko slotted in at pivot and at those times we looked a lot more likely to do something constructive. Api as a half is like a chook with its head cut off, he runs around with not much direction and often chooses the wrong options.

Api and DCE as a halves pairing is a disaster waiting to happen. Leave him at hooker.

For DCE to play his best (and we need him at his best to be top 8) he needs more from his number 6. Crocker just stays on one side of the field and doesn't kick. Is starting to miss tackles too.
Regardless of who we have in the number 6 jersey, DCE needs to do better than he did today. He's our captain, our leader, a gifted and experienced player, and his poor options at critical moments killed us. I kept hoping he'd step up and win us the game. He didn't.

While I agree with the rotation part, one thing I did notice was that there were times when Api went back to dummy half and Jacko slotted in at pivot and at those times we looked a lot more likely to do something constructive. Api as a half is like a chook with its head cut off, he runs around with not much direction and often chooses the wrong options.

Api and DCE as a halves pairing is a disaster waiting to happen. Leave him at hooker.
Yes and it's not Api's fault. He is not a half, he is a hooker. He should never be put in a position where he has to try and be something that he isn't.

Brookvale Far North Queensland
View attachment 7999

img_9888.jpg

@marga

Ladder Position 6 :pointup:

Well if you are reading this Marga, it was great to meet you at the game and thanks for driving out to Gladstone to support us as your company was great and hope to see you again in the future. Enjoyed it thanks and have a safe trip home.:h:
Nice meeting you too. Always enjoy catching up with the Manly guys and other fans, win or lose. Was a really great weekend. Never know may get to see you at another game.

If we take off our Manly hat , would our back 3 of Matt Wright : Jono Wright and Uate make any other NRL team .
I seriously think not . One (3) problem at a time .
Mate, I didn't even have to take off my Manly hat to agree with you there.

Regardless of who we have in the number 6 jersey, DCE needs to do better than he did today. He's our captain, our leader, a gifted and experienced player, and his poor options at critical moments killed us. I kept hoping he'd step up and win us the game. He didn't.
I think at times he was guilty of trying to hard. Trying to do it all himself. He missed Tommy big time. And if he was waiting for Crocker to help him out, well he's in for a long wait.

I watched all the NRL games this weekend, and sad to say it I thought Manly were the third worst team I saw - ahead of only Canberra and Canterbury.
Yep, even Parra looked better than Manly - at least they had energy.
Manly just look slow, disorganised, and I'd even rate them even poorly coached. To me they don't have the structures and/or speed to win a majority of games if they play like they did today.

Need Turbo back, it will help, but I'm starting to fear Manly look like a team that will finish 10th-12th.

Damn I want Toovey back. This teams needs some heritage in their approach to rugby league games (i.e someone to light a fire in them, and players who play like they hate everyone else).

It's just not Manly at the moment.

NYEagle

Personally I thought Brisbane was the worst followed by North Queensland.

Its easy and fun to blame everything on the NRL.
If the priorities had been set right we could have off loaded players to sign a half. The only players that should have been untouchable were DCE and T brothers. We could have shed forwards.
I would even have traded Kapow for a quality 6.
Teams can win with high quality halves but being a little light up front.
Very few teams are successful being light on halves.

Its about attitude and playing to your teams strengths.
If you would have said a month ago the tigers with Brooks and Marshall in the halves would be killing it everyone would laugh at you.

I know I can be critical of DCE options at times. Just not sure I could say that today.

The bloke tried his guts out more than anyone. The Titans even had a game plan around how little Croker would do, they just ran all there attack at DCE. The poor bloke was trying to do everything in attack. Then being forced to do everything in defence and just repeating over and over.

He played wing so many times just looking for a rest.

Even when blind Freddie could see DCE needed his halves partner to stand up and do a bit, Croker just went missing.

If he took the wrong option at the back end of today's game. We really need to be looking at the number 6, and saying Jacko Hastings, come try on the number 6 jersey.

He was our best player and you bag him. He outplayed the Titans' pair who are supposed superstars.
He was the only one trying to conjure something for the first 60 minutes - until Hastings came on.
Geeze. There were so many Manly players you could criticise and you pick on our best. It's astounding!

I also think it was the wrong call, but the reason why it was made was not because Barrett thinks Api is a better 5/8 than Hastings...it was to do with the rotation. Api was gassed (as was most of our team) and Baz knew he wouldn't be able to bench him so when Hastings came on, it was about giving Api a spell from defending in the ruck and moving around the play-the-ball.

I still don't think it was the right call but that was why he made it.
That’s fair enough too, but it appears coincidental that it was reported a couple of weeks ago, Barret was going to pull a switch, with Croker going to the bench, API to six and Hastings to nine.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
9 4 5 -16 8