Game Day: Manly v Titans [Round 5, 2018]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We were in a pretty tough spot today with Parker pulling out and not having TT.

Sirro's absence leaves a HUGE hole in our team.
While Gojetski goes good and i'm happy with him, Thommo is quite disappointing in his single-faceted game.
A great defender is an asset but I hoped Thommo would be able to run the ball and offload. He complimented Sirro well but our second row is down a LOT without Sirro beside him.

While Uate was better today he wouldn't be in my team if Horge wasn't hurt.

Jake was the flattest I can remember seeing him.

So it was a tough day for many reasons and some things need to be be addressed...or it will be a long season coz we haven't even played one of the GOOD teams yet.

New centre new winger new full back and 2 new forwards from last week's winning side. So early in the season, and with our very inexperienced 6, after such disruption the result shouldn't have been too much of a surprise. Yet we still could easily have won that game. Patience (I keep telling myself).

New centre new winger new full back and 2 new forwards from last week's winning side. So early in the season, and with our very inexperienced 6, after such disruption the result shouldn't have been too much of a surprise. Yet we still could easily have won that game. Patience (I keep telling myself).

Really similar to my thoughts on the game. Without Tom I wasn’t confident at all of a win, unfortunately Matt Wright has no speed to add to any of our backline movements and it was always going to have a decent effect on our attack. We were definitely ‘off’ with our middle forwards as well who were outplayed.

Strange thing is with Tom back next week for a Sunday afternoon at Brookie, I’m more confident of a win against the Tigers who have only lost one game than I was yesterday.

He was our best player and you bag him. He outplayed the Titans' pair who are supposed superstars.
He was the only one trying to conjure something for the first 60 minutes - until Hastings came on.
Geeze. There were so many Manly players you could criticise and you pick on our best. It's astounding!
Mate, I didn't question DCE's effort or his commitment in defence. I agree that he tried hard - he always does, to the point where he sometimes tries too hard - and he'll tackle anything that moves. I love that about his game. But his fifth-tackle options (and that kick on the first after a turnover) weren't up to scratch.
I guess the reason I picked on Cherry is because he is our best so I expect better from him. I certainly didn't expect Jono Wright to win us the game.

Complete opposite actually. HIA is not a replacement and if they pass then the 15 minutes swap has to occur. If Croker was to stay off (after passing) then that is a replacement.

This is why Parra have had so many HIA's for their forwards, gets them a 15 minute rest without using a replacement.
That’s what I said.The person I replied to asked why Croker was put back out there and as I said,it was to save a replacement(interchange)

Still seems to be an attitude and game management issue for Manly in these type of games where the game is there for the taking and winnable and they are certainly not being outplayed . Poor options and ineffectual finishes to sets especially in the opposition"s twenty and just being too predictable are problems that just have to be improved on for the team to play to their potential . Certainly missed Tom Turbo but really need a better option then Matt Wright at the back in attack if Tom is not available . Would not be overly critical of Uate [ still a little hesitant in defence ] but still tried hard and of course a few other players were also off their game . Can "t really continue to put it down to an inexperience factor as a regular excuse now for some of the inconsistency , probably individual attitudes and concentration is more of the problem .

Mate, I didn't question DCE's effort or his commitment in defence. I agree that he tried hard - he always does, to the point where he sometimes tries too hard - and he'll tackle anything that moves. I love that about his game. But his fifth-tackle options (and that kick on the first after a turnover) weren't up to scratch.
I guess the reason I picked on Cherry is because he is our best so I expect better from him. I certainly didn't expect Jono Wright to win us the game.

IMO that kick into their in-goal was on because there was no fullback at home. The problem was the same one Cherry had for 80 minutes, he had no support runners, which is where we definitely missed Tommy yesterday.

IMO that kick into their in-goal was on because there was no fullback at home. The problem was the same one Cherry had for 80 minutes, he had no support runners, which is where we definitely missed Tommy yesterday.
That just seemed totally impulsive on D C E "s part as no one else seemed to be expecting it . Tackle one with the Titans on the back foot and the game in the balance . Dumb [ 101 ] territory .

The problem is that its Groundhog Day 2016. DCE is playing his guts out trying to compensate for having a halves partner who is not up to scratch and sometimes when he does that he tries a bit too hard.

I still think the kick was the right option and it would have come off if he had any support, but he was playing a lone hand with little to no help out there.

Regardless of who we have in the number 6 jersey, DCE needs to do better than he did today. He's our captain, our leader, a gifted and experienced player, and his poor options at critical moments killed us. I kept hoping he'd step up and win us the game. He didn't.
This is why DCE won't be considered again for SOO.

No question that D C E is a great all round half back and always puts in but not just in this season that he has and does take the occasional and crucial wrong option . Maybe and hopefully Hastings with his apparent capable kicking and organizing ability will be able to take a bit of pressure off him .

Okay ... after a suitable time out, and being in possession of an acute football mind and 50 years of experience ... I am now prepared to give my considered opinion of yesterdays game ...

Brilliant ... WTF! .. outstanding .. WTF! .. good work .. WTF! ...

Just repeat for 80 mins ...

The forward pass call was a tough 50/50 against us. Would of put us ahead 26-22 with 5 to go. Dare say we win
Well last night I thought that pass was well forward and Api's reaction gave it away.
Looking at it today in the highlights package I agree it was a 50/50 call. I think it looked worse because Api's progress was halted suddenly just as he released (some pics below). And if we get that converted try the momentum was strong with us.
apipass2.JPG
apipass1.JPG
Api Pass.JPG

The game changer was when Dce got caught on the 5th tackle and Api kicked it dead . 7 tackle set to tits and game over . Attention to detail boys.

Well last night I thought that pass was well forward and Api's reaction gave it away.
Looking at it today in the highlights package I agree it was a 50/50 call. I think it looked worse because Api's progress was halted suddenly just as he released (some pics below).
View attachment 8009
View attachment 8010
View attachment 8011

I think the refs fall for that every time. If the player continues to run he seems in front of the ball. If halted suddenly it looks forward and gets called, even though we're told it's all about how the ball comes out of the hand...the refs don't really use that (I don't know if they have the capacity either) so players...try to keep running!

Must be his dad passing on a few inside tips.
NYEagle

I agree with NY Eagle that Manly looked like one of the poorer teams this weekend and, sad to say, if we were playing the eels this round they would have beat us.
Starts with the forwards. I thought that Uate took the ball up with the most aggression. Once the forwards go forward then Chez, Croker, and everyone else will look better and do more.

John Cartwright is Bryce's uncle. I have my doubts about John Cartwright as an assistant coach.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8