Pre-Game Manly v Tigers [Round 19, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

44 24
Suncorp Stadium
24 Jul 2021 05:30 PM

Team Lists

We were blessed as a club when Arthurson signed Fulton. Arthurson and Fulton are the two primary reasons Manly have been so successful and I've said before I've been most impressed by the Fulton family recruitment process in lower grades. Glad we have them.

The Nthn Beagles aside, it is amazing the stability that Manly has had in coaches. Put it down the foundation work of Arko & Bozo. Since Bozo became Manly coach in 1983 how many coaches have Manly had in the near 40 years since? While every other clubs has gone through a plethora, Manly has had just SIX men plus Bozo:
Alan Thompson
Graham Lowe
Peter Sharp
Des Hasler
Geoff Toovey
TBarrett

The Nthn Beagles aside, it is amazing the stability that Manly has had in coaches. Put it down the foundation work of Arko & Bozo. Since Bozo became Manly coach in 1983 how many coaches have Manly had in the near 40 years since? While every other clubs has gone through a plethora, Manly has had just SIX men plus Bozo:
Alan Thompson
Graham Lowe
Peter Sharp
Des Hasler
Geoff Toovey
TBarrett
Sorry, let me edit that slightly:

Alan Thompson
Graham Lowe
Peter Sharp
Silvertails numbnuts
Des Hasler
Silvertails nufties
Geoff Toovey
Silvertails sausage roll eaters
TBarrett
Silvertails ironstines
Hasler

Now now, only eleven who actually played in round one are in the seventeen. Six positions have changed which is around the number of changes people were calling for at the time. Not all the same changes to be fair, but numbers only tell some of the story and are easily manipulated, which you well know. That spoon just keeps a stirring...;-)
You're all over it champ.

Alan Thompson
Graham Lowe
Peter Sharp
Des Hasler
Geoff Toovey
TBarrett
Five men, plus Bozo, and one imposter is more like it.

Its funny isnt it. When Hamilton came into F1 in an championship winning car he was a prat. Didnt like him at all. A few lean years later and a **** car made him grow up fast. Then of course hes been given the 'Melbourne storm' car when everyone else was driving a newtown jets 3 wheeler.
Fast forwad to now and Max Verpantieshead is a total spoilt prat in a very fast car. Bump away Hamilton bump away.
Verpantieshead

First, no need to insult fellow Silvertailers by calling them 'no-nothing nufties'!
Second, which specific young players are you referring to? The article didn't name any.

And yes I know there was reserve grade at the start of this year, I was referring to the lack of the lower tier comps last year.

As we know, Haumole played only one reserve game in which he was injured, and was brought into NRL as soon as he recovered. Schu also had only one reserve game before being used in NRL. As I recall, the specific players getting disparaged by your no-nothing nufties in the early rounds included the likes of Parker, Croker and Garrick, each are now mainstays. (are you sure you don't mean 'know-nothing nufties'?)

I've no doubt Bozo was aghast at our opening months of results, as we all were. But Harper wasn't exactly setting the reserves on fire. Or are you suggesting Bozo wanted Suli sacked? Maybe he did. But then why does Kent make a point of mentioning how Bozo preferred players fast and big? as opposed to nippy players who rush up in defence?

Anyway all good, the only one who really knows what was in Des's head back then is the man himself, and maybe he doesn't even know, or remember, if the dementia theories are correct. I am pleased that you find some solace in a Paul Kent article, and while I don't doubt he has some solid sources in the game, its bit of a stretch to think he got this stuff direct from 'the other side'. So I take it as Kent recounting someone else's second hand version. Not to say its wrong, more that it doesn't really throw much light on anything, so far as I can see. All our views as fans are valid and none of them ever really influence what happens, but I'm still comfortable with my theory despite Kent's article :)

edit - I only just saw the full article in the other thread, was just going by the part you initially posted above
Well I certainly agree that we are all no nothing nufties on here. I certainly no nothing....

Alan Thompson
Graham Lowe
Peter Sharp
Des Hasler
Geoff Toovey
TBarrett
Barrett a coach? FMD ..... is that what he did? I just thought he was the furniture man. Barrett a coach, now that is very funny.

For what its worth, this seems to echo the frustration of a lot of complaints on the kennel re Des's selections.

Its a tricky call. I also share frustrations with how Des holds back player. Perhaps I've got a good case, perhaps not. Its an opinion. However I saw an item recently abbot bringing players in too early. Bradman Best and Suaali were mentioned and both suffered bad injuries shortly after their debuts. Both had been selected early, Suaali was still under the agreed age of the NRL. The question was ' had they been selected too early?'

Maybe I'm wrong. I look at the ages Des introduces player to first grade and he does so often start them on the bench and then only for a few games much of the time. What age have the recent players at Manly been given a shot at first grade . Schuster 19, Ben Trbojevic 19, Funa 22, Cust 20, Olakau'atu 20. Very few at 18 like Foran and Tom Trbojevic many years past and that was when they were well into 18. Even DCE was just turning 22 when he first got the nod. They all seemed to benefit, so as I say maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Des is thinking of the player's welfare more than I am and more than many coaches and club owners are.

Des is conservative and I still think he takes too long to select a young player. But I far prefer his conservatism to Robinson giving q 17 year old a permanent spot immediately

Its a tricky call. I also share frustrations with how Des holds back player. Perhaps I've got a good case, perhaps not. Its an opinion. However I saw an item recently abbot bringing players in too early. Bradman Best and Suaali were mentioned and both suffered bad injuries shortly after their debuts. Both had been selected early, Suaali was still under the agreed age of the NRL. The question was ' had they been selected too early?'

Maybe I'm wrong. I look at the ages Des introduces player to first grade and he does so often start them on the bench and then only for a few games much of the time. What age have the recent players at Manly been given a shot at first grade . Schuster 19, Ben Trbojevic 19, Funa 22, Cust 20, Olakau'atu 20. Very few at 18 like Foran and Tom Trbojevic many years past and that was when they were well into 18. Even DCE was just turning 22 when he first got the nod. They all seemed to benefit, so as I say maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Des is thinking of the player's welfare more than I am and more than many coaches and club owners are.

Des is conservative and I still think he takes too long to select a young player. But I far prefer his conservatism to Robinson giving q 17 year old a permanent spot immediately
Walker will be lucky to survive and not end up with a long term injury. He is so so slim and small and his body just not mature enough for first grade footy. I would take Des' approach any day of the week. Look at his approach with young Hoppa - he wasn't convinced he was a genuine first grader despite everyone complaining. Looks like he might have been right!

The team looks that good on paper, it must be giving the refs nightmares about how many 6 agains they'll need to gift the tigers.

perhaps something like 10 6 agains to the Tigers on average tackle 4 for an extra 40 tackles

and 20 6 agains to the Sea Eagles on average tackle 1 for an extra 20 tackles

and keep an eye out for the 'analysis' in the Sunday Tele, on how 6 agains are meaningless and have no effect on end results 😂😃😜 (whoops left out the important data)

Note: how would have 20 7th tackles gone down in the 80's or 90's ???

Last edited:
I am truly excited at the prospect of seeing our full strength team.

BUT

I’m also worried about the team just thinking they’ve got the game sown up already.

They need to be hungry , not complacent!!
Excited for sure

and I would be thinking the whole playing group would be too, they would be eager to find out how it all fits together.....

so complacent NO
but holding off to give the other guys a chance YES

but may end up looking the same!

SmartSelect_20210721-204921_Twitter.jpg

How do you explain Groca playing one game last year and getting man of the match and schuster playing one game and benji calling it the best debut he has ever seen. Both looked like they belonged in 1st grad yet they couldn't get a start 6 months later, and since have been killing it, in fact both look ins for SOS
Seriously, I think Des didn't think the fan base deserved to see more of him until at least 60% of us made a serious effort to spell his name.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4