Pre-Game Manly v Tigers [Round 19, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

44 24
Suncorp Stadium
24 Jul 2021 05:30 PM

Team Lists

So, if Jurbo and Al play it means we now "only" have six injured or unavailable for selection. Six is still more than most other clubs. Illawarra has just one squad member injured. Their remaining 'outs' are from self-inflicted stupidity.
Yeah but which of those six even make the bench? Does started with an inferior side at the start of the season.

This side has now won three out of four without turbo.

It's not JUST turbo. The likes of Shuster Keppie Guacamole Harper Sipley have made a massive difference. You throw in turbo as well who has just lifted the likes of Parker and Croker Saab Garrick etc. Suddenly we find ourselves with our best 17..

Unfortunately besides Lawton.. they don't stand a chance if fully fit.

Fair play for Desmond for finally putting it together and we have a real footy team. Best side we've had in ages.

Yeah but which of those six even make the bench? Does started with an inferior side at the start of the season.

This side has now won three out of four without turbo.

It's not JUST turbo. The likes of Shuster Keppie Guacamole Harper Sipley have made a massive difference. You throw in turbo as well who has just lifted the likes of Parker and Croker Saab Garrick etc. Suddenly we find ourselves with our best 17..

Unfortunately besides Lawton.. they don't stand a chance if fully fit.

Fair play for Desmond for finally putting it together and we have a real footy team. Best side we've had in ages.
Fair play to Desmond for finally having the players to name such a strong side you mean.

Far too much positivity in here. Always scares me when everyone is pumping us up with 50 point expectations. We have a habit of blowing it when expectations are high and I see the same coming. We'll be way too overconfident and will try to play expansive instead of doing the tough hard yards up the middle.Tigpies are an unpredictable commodity and I'll guarantee that we'll get arse raped with set restarts and penalties. I can see a boilover coming here. Tigpies x 2 on the back of whistle and bunkerclowns.

Far too much positivity in here. Always scares me when everyone is pumping us up with 50 point expectations. We have a habit of blowing it when expectations are high and I see the same coming. We'll be way too overconfident and will try to play expansive instead of doing the tough hard yards up the middle.Tigpies are an unpredictable commodity and I'll guarantee that we'll get arse raped with set restarts and penalties. I can see a boilover coming here. Tigpies x 2 on the back of whistle and bunkerclowns.
The broncos ran right through them.. we will kill them

I feel like the physio was directing that comment at a few of us on here haha
I got that feeling too but we deserved an explanation after weeks of Siro silence.

Wasn't surprised about Aloiai being named. After last week's physio's report, I knew he'd be back early, either this week or next, and I was right!

Awesome team list this week...nearly at full strength, about time! Just hope it lasts.

Fair play to Desmond for finally having the players to name such a strong side you mean.
Nope. Had them available in round one. But he thought siro. Boyle. Suli. Funa
Jetski. Were better options.

Round one team. Guacamole playing reserves. 18-21 got cut. Yes he picked funa on the bench. Anyways we been through it and we disagree. The side below is awful on so many levels. But I'm glad we got there in the end.

1. Dylan Walker 2. Jason Saab 3. Brad Parker 4. Moses Suli 5. Reuben Garrick 6. Kieran Foran 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Josh Aloiai 9. Lachlan Croker 10. Martin Taupau 11. Jack Gosiewski 12. Curtis Sironen 13. Jake Trbojevic 14. Tevita Funa 15. Andrew Davey 16. Morgan Boyle 17. Taniela Paseka

Got cut from match.

18. Josh Schuster 19. Sean Keppie 20. Toafofoa Sipley 21. Morgan Harper

Last edited:

Round one team. Guacamole playing reserves. 18-21 got cut. Yes he picked funa on the bench. Anyways we been through it and we disagree. The side below is awful on so many levels. But I'm glad we got there in the end.

1. Dylan Walker 2. Jason Saab 3. Brad Parker 4. Moses Suli 5. Reuben Garrick 6. Kieran Foran 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Josh Aloiai 9. Lachlan Croker 10. Martin Taupau 11. Jack Gosiewski 12. Curtis Sironen 13. Jake Trbojevic 14. Tevita Funa 15. Andrew Davey 16. Morgan Boyle 17. Taniela Paseka

Got cut from match.

Something something four premierships...

Far too many passengers in that first round team who had a long history of underperforming for most of 2020.

Our best 17 bar Fainu and Lawton. Fainu playing this year is not realistic so we are only short Lawton, although I won't be surprised if Aoli and Jake drop out. Next weeks 17 will be VERY interesting.
How many on here would have had Lawton in their top 17 or knocking on the door backnin march? Not many i would think. Great signing by whoever did the deal.
Yep close to the best side. On paper they should wallop the Tigers but we all know how reliable paper is. Easy to tear.
Exactly.
Perhaps because none of the kids had any match experience other than under 20s and the odd reggies game in 2019.

Covid was an issue. Simple.

Got cut from match.

This theory has been done to death so I may as well have a go too. To take someone's spot in first grade you should earn it by performances in reserve grade. How did the new young guys go in reserve grade? Oh that's right, there wasn't any! The development players were very hard hit by the effect of the pandemic.

Schu and Haumole were always going to be brought through this year, but to start with the incumbents sends two messages to the squad - loyalty to incumbents by giving them a chance to prove their worth, and young contenders know they have to earn a shot by performances, they won't just be gifted an opportunity 'just to see' whether they are up to it.

As it happens long term injuries to Siro, Davey Jetski Boyle Suli meant there were soon opportunities, well taken by Schu, Haumole, Harper & Sipley. None of which proves Des has no idea and was 'saved by injuries'. In my humble opinion!

Wasn"t until the 20 min mark against the Tigers in the previous clash this season that Manly started to outplay them and that was mainly from some individual strong efforts at that stage . Settled into some good team footy after that but Tigers are usually a pretty willing side at stages regardless of the opposition . This Manly side no doubt good enough to put a decent score on them but will still have to put in the hard yards , tighten up the middle defence a bit and make the most of the attacking opportunities. , Certainly on paper , Manly have got one of the best attacking sides going around when all key personal are available and firing .

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle...Des is no idiot but he can be conservative...
At the end of the day, he is still the one coaching the fresh faces that have come in and invigorated the side so he deserves credit for that regardless.
it works both ways too...there was a call to put Schu at 6 and keep Foran away from the side and what do you know? Foran has been fantastic, lead the side admirably, taken pressure of Daly and allowed Schu to play with less pressure and expectation on an edge. There are times where the conservative approach is warranted. Well done Dessie!

Any NRL side can be a pain in the neck on any given day, even dumb teams like Tigers. If we* go in with a soft mentality because 'all our stars are back we'll win easily' then could become a very tough game.

* its OK for us fans to think this way, I meant the players!

As for this match against the Tigers... With the new rules, talent seems to rein supreme. You can pick a winner on paper better than ever before. Unless we completely self capitulate, we should get the Tigers in the end. They’ll turn up and put the scares on us early but the overwhelming ability of this side should prevail.

the old wrestle could stifle talent a little and even the ledger through sheer effort. With the open and faster game, it’s impossible to stop talent for 80 minutes. You’ve only got to look at Alex Johnston’s try tally to know that something is up...25 tries by rd.18 and all but 1 or 2 of them involved catching the ball and putting it over the try line untouched. It’s borderline touch football.

This theory has been done to death so I may as well have a go too. To take someone's spot in first grade you should earn it by performances in reserve grade. How did the new young guys go in reserve grade? Oh that's right, there wasn't any! The development players were very hard hit by the effect of the pandemic.

Schu and Haumole were always going to be brought through this year, but to start with the incumbents sends two messages to the squad - loyalty to incumbents by giving them a chance to prove their worth, and young contenders know they have to earn a shot by performances, they won't just be gifted an opportunity 'just to see' whether they are up to it.

As it happens long term injuries to Siro, Davey Jetski Boyle Suli meant their were opportunities, well taken by Schu, Haumole, Harper & Sipley. None of which proves Des has no idea and was 'saved by injuries'. In my humble opinion!
Agree. It was also reported that Olakau-atu wasn't at his best at training in the pre season so fair reason not to pick him straight away. Like you say they need to earn their spot. That same loyalty that everyone complains about back then is the same loyalty shown to Harper etc and its why guys like Suli can't get a run and Walker on the bench.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8