Pre-Game Manly v Roosters [Round 20, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

10 20
4 Pines Park
28 Jul 2022 07:50 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not as downhearted about tonight’s game as some. Sure, down on troops and best to have the default position that they will lose. But you never know.

There is still a considerable amount of experience in the Manly side.

We’re stronger in the halves.
I think Croker is a better player than Verrills, with Segeyaro on the bench.
Paseka goes ok;
De Luis has never let us down;
Davey plays like a 200 game veteran, not a 20 game veteran;
Bullemor is a good edge forward;
Jake is locking the scrum;
Walker is back in his preferred spot;
Harper to hold up his side of the three quarter line;
Garrick loses little in comparison with any other fullback out there;
If Marty avoids the brain explosions, he can be damaging (to the opposition:));
Boyle is another Mark Bryant type - underrated; and
We have two or three enthusiastic debutants. I bet they can’t wait to get out there.9
Having three new players in the backline looks to be our Achilles heel.
Sure Walker was a bloody good centre but how long ago was it, and defensively was never his strong suit?
Two debutants that weren't exactly next cab off the rank and a centre that hasn't played there for years.
I sure hope our wingers are good under the high ball as the Chooks have shown their hand over the past few weeks.
Alioai has been our best front rower by some way so time for Marty and Paseka to really step up.

I's so angry right now I don't want the 7 boycotters back in our side. Whilst I am not gay this really gets under my skin. I don't care how good they are at football they are selfish, insensitive, self abscessed and have embarrassed our football club and it's supporters. The religion excuse is nonsense as no one has asked them to abandon their faith or to make any public declaration of any kind. I was raised as catholic but I haven't allowed myself to judge others. These players thank the club and their supporters for all of the support they have received on and off the football field by sitting out a season defining game because of a few extra colors on the jersey. Its BS.

I's so angry right now I don't want the 7 boycotters back in our side. Whilst I am not gay this really gets under my skin. I don't care how good they are at football they are selfish, insensitive, self abscessed and have embarrassed our football club and it's supporters. The religion excuse is nonsense as no one has asked them to abandon their faith or to make any public declaration of any kind. I was raised as catholic but I haven't allowed myself to judge others. These players thank the club and their supporters for all of the support they have received on and off the football field by sitting out a season defining game because of a few extra colors on the jersey. Its BS.
Look there's alot of things I don't understand in today's world but I have to respect it. Why should they not have the same if they believe it?

Just file it under the I don't understand but that's the world we live in.

Religiously justified homophobia. It is shameful behavior in my book. You don't abandon your faith playing in a jumper with a few extra colors. No one is asking them to change their sexuality. The dumbest thing I have every seen in Rugby League. There's got to be more to this.
Really don 't think there is. Very different subject but the anti vax issue could have got out of hand last season as well in terms of some players availability for instance . Josh Alioia has just extended his time with Manly and sure that there is or will be no ill feeling in the squad now or in the future , Some short term disappointment inevitable , including final "s prospects but they all still have a job to do collectively for the club once all of this blows over quite soon . As do the the Manly players representing the club tonight and naturally hope that they can all play out of their skins

I
Look there's alot of things I don't understand in today's world but I have to respect it. Why should they not have the same if they believe it?

Just file it under the I don't understand but that's the world we live in.
I think this is the view we all must take ,we don't have to understand everyone's beliefs or lifestyles we just have to show tolerance and respect and expect the same in return, Manly management should have started talking to players months ago

Which reminds me of an oldie but a goodie and don't we need it,
The old guy on the factory line, a Greek/Italian/Macedonian/Lebanese/Turk (I am trying to be inclusive, just select one), was arguing with his boss and yells out, "you always say I know f*ckn nothing but I tell you mister, I know f*ck all.
That could be a blond joke aswell

THIS IS NOW ON THE NRL! Goes from one disaster to another!​

Manly Sea Eagles’ boycotting pride jersey to skip Roosters clash after NSW police warning​

The Manly Sea Eagles have told the seven stars boycotting the club’s pride jerseys to stay away 4 Pines Park, after a warning from NSW Police.

NRL

Don't miss out on the headlines from NRL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Manly has sensationally banned their seven dissenting players from attending Thursday night’s big match at 4 Pines Park after being warned off by NSW Police.
Police sergeant Damon Flakelar spoke with Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler and interim club chief executive Gary Wolman on Wednesday before the exiled players were contacted and told to stay away for “safety and welfare” reasons.
It comes as one of the players who stood down from the match, prop Josh Aloiai, fronted Manly administration staff - who have been vilified this week from some angry fans - to explain why he boycotted the game on religious grounds.
And The Daily Telegraph can also reveal at least one of the seven players has been subjected to threatening messages through social media.
Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >
The seven Manly stars boycotting the Pride jersey will not attend their teams Round 20 match at Four Pines Park on Thursday. Picture: NCA Newswire / Gaye Gerard

The seven Manly stars boycotting the Pride jersey will not attend their teams Round 20 match at Four Pines Park on Thursday. Picture: NCA Newswire / Gaye Gerard
Manly and police agreed there would be “heightened concern” should the players attend Brookvale Oval in what will be a heaving atmosphere.
“For the safety and wellbeing of the players, the club has decided that it’s best that they don’t attend the game,” Wolman said.
Manly has been decimated after Aloiai, Jason Saab, Christian Tuipulotu, Josh Schuster, Haumole Olakau’atu, Josh Aloiai, Tolutau Koula and Toafofoa Sipley withdrew from game in protest at the club’s controversial decision to wear a rainbow jumper.
Some of the potential back-up players also declined to play for the club.
The players were initially going to watch the match from the safety of a gymnasium in the Bob Fulton Stand’s Centre of Excellence because the player dug-out, located near the players’ tunnel, was deemed too close to fans and unsafe.
There were even fears protesters angry at the players’ stance could attempt to enter the ground and harass the seven stars.
Flakelar spoke with Manly head of operations and event Shelley O’Malley, expressing safety concerns before Hasler and Wolman were brought into the conversation.
It was unanimously agreed the players would be told to stay at home.
The players boycotting the pride jersey were told to stay away from the game after NSW Police spoke with Manly over concerns for their safety. Picture: Manly Digital.

The players boycotting the pride jersey were told to stay away from the game after NSW Police spoke with Manly over concerns for their safety. Picture: Manly Digital.
Hasler and Manly general manager of football John Bonasera contacted the seven players on Wednesday afternoon to reveal the club’s decision.
It is understood the players wanted to attend the game but accepted the decision of Manly and police.
Flakelar initially asked Wolman and Hasler where the players would sit at the ground as part of plans to increase security at Brookvale to protect the players.
Aloiai has told friends he has been targeted on social media while player managers have told the seven players to immediately report any threats to police.
Aware of the abuse some Manly administration staff had encountered from fans supporting the rainbow jersey, Aloiai attended the club’s Narrabeen headquarters to explain why he reached his decision.
He spoke to administration staff for an hour.
Before the decision to prohibit players from attending the match against the Sydney Roosters, police and Manly spoke about contingency plans for possible crowd misbehaviour.
Manly now face another significant challenge – integrating the seven players back into the side for next Friday night’s big match against Parramatta at 4 Pines Park.
Sea Eagles chairman and co-owner Scott Penn will arrive home from New York on Thursday and plans to attend the Manly-Roosters game.
The NRL did approve the controversial Manly jumper while multiple employees at the club were aware of the jumper and when it would be worn.
NRLW STAR ENRAGED BY MANLY PLAYERS’ PRIDE JERSEY BOYCOTT
NRLW player Karina Brown says she felt “enraged and frustrated” by the Manly Sea Eagles’ players’ refusal to wear a pride jersey. The World Cup winner, who was also the focus of a photograph that went viral in 2018 of her kissing then girlfriend Vanessa Foliaki, after a State of Origin match in Sydney, says she is astounded the players have taken their stance.
Karina Brown (R) kisses her then partner Vanessa Foliaki after a State of Origin game. Picture: Adam Head

Karina Brown (R) kisses her then partner Vanessa Foliaki after a State of Origin game. Picture: Adam Head
Speaking to Sam Squiers on the ‘On Her Game’ podcast, Brown revealed she felt “enraged” by the incident, going on to say: “It did trigger me, if I’m honest. I felt enraged and frustrated and then I decided to dig a bit deeper and find out the whole story … when I dug deeper I realised it’s not even a pride jersey which makes it even worse.
“This jersey is for everyone in league … whether you love someone of the same sex or whether you love Jesus Christ it says there’s a place for you in rugby league.

The Israel Folau red flag that Manly ignoredIs this the hill Manly players want to die on?
“It’s just constantly frustrating.
“Because yes we are becoming more of a woke society.
“And the next generation they’ve got more of an open mind and open hearts.
“People are realising that discrimination is so hurtful in society and we’re trying to do something about it.
“It’s frustrating it still exists.’’
Anybody know who the other players are, who chose not to play...think one was Las Vegas ?

I am quite glad we have reached game day. Am going to try and be there tonight - hadn't planned it and not sure I can. Hard to see any outcome but a loss. But if we were to win then those 17 players (plus honest injuries like Keppie) who wore our colours when others refused: that's our 1G squad for rest of year in my book. The other guys must all win their way back in.

The thing that $hits me about all of this is that the club didn't tell anyone connected with the team itself, not the coaching staff or the players themselves, about the Pride jumper before approving it (including NRL approval) weeks ago and then announcing it just a few days ago.

No one thought to tell Des or the players until what, Sunday or Monday???

This whole thing could have been sorted out weeks ago, quickly and quietly without disruption to our season. If only someone thought to run it past those who would have to wear the jumper before hand.....

Interesting thing I've just heard from Fittler on this weeks Freddie & The Eighth.

The Pride jumper will be the 7th different jumper we have worn in first grade just in 2022.

The thing that $hits me about all of this is that the club didn't tell anyone connected with the team itself, not the coaching staff or the players themselves, about the Pride jumper before approving it (including NRL approval) weeks ago and then announcing it just a few days ago.

No one thought to tell Des or the players until what, Sunday or Monday???

This whole thing could have been sorted out weeks ago, quickly and quietly without disruption to our season. If only someone thought to run it past those who would have to wear the jumper before hand.....
fresh take, new perspective, I like it

Religiously justified homophobia. It is shameful behavior in my book. You don't abandon your faith playing in a jumper with a few extra colors. No one is asking them to change their sexuality. The dumbest thing I have every seen in Rugby League. There's got to be more to this.
What if the jumper had a few extra lines, like a swastika for example?
Reducing a symbol to the actual appearance of it completely misses the point.

What if the jumper had a few extra lines, like a swastika for example?
Reducing a symbol to the actual appearance of it completely misses the point.
Bit dramatic.

I love how some people are so quick to throw in the Nazi comparison when it is in no way comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16