Game Day: Manly v Raiders [Round 13, 2016]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think we will all find out Friday whether the Manly spirit still exists or is for once and for all dead and buried and this is just a squad of individuals playing in Manly jumpers.

* You would think that Barrett and team would be ashamed to see Manly at 13th spot on the ladder (yes it is if you take away the bye).
* You would think that two whole weeks to prepare with close to a full squad should take away the fatigue excuse and the training excuse.
* You would think that Canberra playing on 5 days rest should be beaten, otherwise you negate all excuses for 5 day losses by Manly this year.
* You would think with a major injury to Edrick Lee - they would struggle a bit.
* And to acknowledge a great point above - Canberra have not played any of the big three, and have been tamed by the less than mighty Dragons, Titans and Knights.

If we can't overcome and respond to the above reality, the Manly spirit is dead and buried and it will be confirmation that Barrett cannot coach. It will also prove he is happy running 13th just like he has been used to with loser clubs St George and Penrith and Cronulla. I don't want to hear it is cold down there. No more ****ing excuses. It's been cold up here. If Manly comes out in the first 20 minutes and tries to dominate Canberra and gives away silly penalties and pushes for dropped ball I'll be mighty pissed. The first 20 minutes should be focussed to getting into the grind (thats what fresh teams need to do) - and just like Hasler did successfully with a severely weakened bulldogs team. We will bury them late if we start with 10 clean sets and an even or favourable scoreboard after 20 minutes.

Ohh but sorry!. I'm not paid to be coach! - who am I to tell Barrett what to do.

NYEagle

Last edited:
Mate, I'll throw a BBQ down there and offer a free sausage sanga to everyone who attends. It'd be another one of those, build up, for a crap shoot attendance things though.

The only time people really got behind something like this, was when I started that petition that ended up getting 10k odd sigantures, that Grant Mayer gave to Morris Iemma for the upgrade of Brooky Oval.
If you are doing sausage sangas I do have an expectation for chili sauce.
NYEagle

I like Jake at lock but agree about mobility. My full strength pack and bench is a no brainer in my eyes but seems Barrett isn't convinced

Lawrence, Parcell,AFB,Buhrer,Tapau,Jake

Vave,Symonds/Brown,Mateo,Myles

We need to be aggressive early,not conservative.AFB will be a star,Myles is lucky to get a game and I could easily go with 4 props including Jake and play both Symonds and Brown on the bench.

Perfect, as always @susan I don't think I've ever seen you post something not correct, or going to be correct down the track. Glad someone also sees the ruck speed/mobility (defense & attack) as a problem.

I was a harsh critic of AFB at first, because I thought, "oh no, another Vave, Myles, Lussick lumberer type". But he makes good to great post contact metres, and that royally screws the defensive line, and creates penalties against the opposition.

Yep, love the line-up you posted. Unsure how Barrett has seen that having Myles + one other has worked up front? I hope he doesn't become a stubborn coach - but then again, Des was a highly stubborn and set in his ways coach, and look how he ended up.

Hopefully Trentmallow will find it too cold for pocket billiards on Friday night.

I'm not holding my breath(;)) that the 'snot suck-back' will not get a run however.

Memo: Trentin Barrentino, invest in handkerchiefs, or at least a travellers' pack of tissues.

I think we will all find out Friday whether the Manly spirit still exists or is for once and for all dead and buried and this is just a squad of individuals playing in Manly jumpers.

* You would think that Barrett and team would be ashamed to see Manly at 13th spot on the ladder (yes it is if you take away the bye).
* You would think that two whole weeks to prepare with close to a full squad should take away the fatigue excuse and the training excuse.
* You would think that Canberra playing on 5 days rest should be beaten, otherwise you negate all excuses for 5 day losses by Manly this year.
* You would think with a major injury to Edrick Lee - they would struggle a bit.
* And to acknowledge a great point above - Canberra have not played any of the big three, and have been tamed by the less than mighty Dragons, Titans and Knights.

If we can't overcome and respond to the above reality, the Manly spirit is dead and buried and it will be confirmation that Barrett cannot coach. It will also prove he is happy running 13th just like he has been used to with loser clubs St George and Penrith and Cronulla. I don't want to hear it is cold down there. No more ****ing excuses. It's been cold up here. If Manly comes out in the first 20 minutes and tries to dominate Canberra and gives away silly penalties and pushes for dropped ball I'll be mighty pissed. The first 20 minutes should be focussed to getting into the grind (thats what fresh teams need to do) - and just like Hasler did successfully with a severely weakened bulldogs team. We will bury them late if we start with 10 clean sets and an even or favourable scoreboard after 20 minutes.

Ohh but sorry!. I'm not paid to be coach! - who am I to tell Barrett what to do.

NYEagle

Everything can't be laid at the feet of Barrett, oh sure plenty can but Barrett doesn't make tackles ( or miss them), Barrett doesn't give away stupid penalties , Barrett doesn't take a hit up, slow down, turn his back to the tacklers and die in the tackle, he also doesn't drop the ball or take really dumb 5th tackle options.

And unlike some I've never seen him laughing after a loss.

Our players have been largely playing like pussies, not all but many.

Where Barrett has failed dismally is in selections BUT are they his decisions or is he just told what to do?

Our culture is shot, ripped apart and trashed but that's not Barrett's fault either.

I don't buy the total blame on the coach , oh sure all of last years woe's were caused by 2V ( if you believe some) but we know that's total bull****.

Am I happy with Barrett at coach , no, do I think our current dilemma is all his fault, no!!

Yes Ryan we need points in us.

Sometimes you have to wear a few errors from guys like Mateo and Symonds and use them correctly when the match situation suits. Symonds can run through a hole and Mateo can pull something out of nothing. When we get behind it just seems we can get back into the game but cant quite find that touch of something different to win it. Our backline looks stiff due to lack of combinations and ageing warriors so some second phase creativity could do wonders.

I just cannot fathom picking guys like Starling and Lussick who try hard but add nothing in terms of injections from the bench.We have tough guys starting who defend well for long periods so the bench should be something that makes a difference in short bursts.It isn't rocket science.

Completions aren't everything in our game. With structured tight defences it is the unusual that can make the difference. The Knights tries against the Eels were a classic example.Our coaches all seem to play from the same playlist with the quality of the soldiers the only difference. The Coaching Walker boys are treated like a passing joke and the style of footy in the Samoa game is pooh poohed as being unprofessional BUT fans love it.

To be frank Rugby League has become boring if you do not care about the result.

Last edited:
I'm not holding my breath(;)) that the 'snot suck-back' will not get a run however.

Memo: Trentin Barrentino, invest in handkerchiefs, or at least a travellers' pack of tissues.
One of my pet peeves! I have a mate who does this and even though I offer him tissues, he declines and continues to snort one back.

A win is on the cards friday night and ill be more confident when the players run out wearing there "Extreme Cold Weather Thermal Underwear"
It gets bloody cold down there

Great side, Manly by 22.

Agree I don't have a problem with the side. Obviously blake has been sent back to reggies to work on a few things. Symonds & Mateo are average at best which is why they are being moved on. Bring on Friday. Some of the ramblings on here are disgraceful!

As I said a couple of pages ago, I seriously can't figure out why people here are talking up Canberra so much.

Yes they won 32-20 last Sunday. But fact is that until about the 50th minute they were down what, 20-8 and it was only because the Dogs actually ran out of gas with about half an hour to go (which was rather surprising for a Des coached team) that Canberra even looked like they were in the game. The Dogs had nothing left to give in that last 20 or 30 minutes and were simply overrun, not by a better team but simply by a fitter team.

And as we have seen so many times already this season, don't expect the Manly team named on Tuesday to be the Manly team that runs out on the weekend. All clubs are required to release a team sheet for the media on the Tuesday and we've proven more often than not that its just an exercise to fill a section of the papers. Hell, we could name Kermit, Fozzy, Gonzo and Beaker on Tuesday and they still wouldn't be playing come Friday.

We may not have beaten the Sharks almost 2 weeks ago, but I think we turned the corner in that game. We can and I think will win on Friday night,

As I said a couple of pages ago, I seriously can't figure out why people here are talking up Canberra so much.

Yes they won 32-20 last Sunday. But fact is that until about the 50th minute they were down what, 20-8 and it was only because the Dogs actually ran out of gas with about half an hour to go (which was rather surprising for a Des coached team) that Canberra even looked like they were in the game. The Dogs had nothing left to give in that last 20 or 30 minutes and were simply overrun, not by a better team but simply by a fitter team.

And as we have seen so many times already this season, don't expect the Manly team named on Tuesday to be the Manly team that runs out on the weekend. All clubs are required to release a team sheet for the media on the Tuesday and we've proven more often than not that its just an exercise to fill a section of the papers. Hell, we could name Kermit, Fozzy, Gonzo and Beaker on Tuesday and they still wouldn't be playing come Friday.

We may not have beaten the Sharks almost 2 weeks ago, but I think we turned the corner in that game. We can and I think will win on Friday night,

I liked that but was tempted to hit the optimistic button also!!

Hope you are right.

The Dogs forwards ran out of gas because Kasiano came off injured early and never returned.

Maybe I'm just dreaming but I suspect this could be when Manly start to turn around their season. If they play as they are capable they can win this one.

Yes Ryan we need points in us.

Sometimes you have to wear a few errors from guys like Mateo and Symonds and use them correctly when the match situation suits. Symonds can run through a hole and Mateo can pull something out of nothing. When we get behind it just seems we can get back into the game but cant quite find that touch of something different to win it. Our backline looks stiff due to lack of combinations and ageing warriors so some second phase creativity could do wonders.

I just cannot fathom picking guys like Starling and Lussick who try hard but add nothing in terms of injections from the bench.We have tough guys starting who defend well for long periods so the bench should be something that makes a difference in short bursts.It isn't rocket science.

Completions aren't everything in our game. With structured tight defences it is the unusual that can make the difference. The Knights tries against the Eels were a classic example.Our coaches all seem to play from the same playlist with the quality of the soldiers the only difference. The Coaching Walker boys are treated like a passing joke and the style of footy in the Samoa game is pooh poohed as being unprofessional BUT fans love it.

To be frank Rugby League has become boring if you do not care about the result.
I say sign up the Walkers Brothers, at least one of them is ex Manly and I would enjoy the excitement if nothing else.

Yes they won 32-20 last Sunday. But fact is that until about the 50th minute they were down what, 20-8 and it was only because the Dogs actually ran out of gas with about half an hour to go (which was rather surprising for a Des coached team) that Canberra even looked like they were in the game.

Yep, and our boys are a model of fitness and staying power for the full 80 minutes.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6