Post-Game Discussion Manly v Eels [Round 21, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Eels
20 4 Pines Park
05 Aug 2022 19:55
76th minute

Match Stats

The Eels knew our biggest threats were on our RHS attack, DCE gave early ball to Koula several times but the Eels had stacked defence on that side and neither he nor Haumole could make much impression.
They did that at the cost of the other side which is why every time we sent the ball left we made a lot of ground.
Defense was our downfall, obviously as they scored 7 tries. Massive disruption of our team in the last 2 weeks hindered us badly in that but looking at the whole season Manly's priority #1 is to get the defence in order. Better to win games 14-12 than to lose 36-20.
defence did fall right off but Eels got above average luck as well with some of their tries . i st half bright attack from Manly can mainly be attributed to Walker adding another dimension and Foz just being so skillful and both exiting which again is going to need some serious attention but then Turbo will be a key improvement returning and if he can stay on the paddock . Haumole was well contained as Lane should have been but Manly just do so much better in attack with that bit more spread and again just like Lane , having a guy like Haumole or positioning him hitting the line a bit wider with the right set up play and against any type of structured opposing defence . Koula can be used better also but just that type of game last night . . .

Brad wouldn’t have let those tries/breaks being made if he was there last night. We need defense at the moment we are conceding far too many points.
That is debateable as his defensive capabilities were exposed against dominant opposition in the highlights

Also Brad this season produced no try assist and minimum line breaks

To be a dominant force we need more dominant players

Does anyone else feel the 38-0 magic round drubbing was the writing on the wall for this year? I knew there and then that we were long odds to play finals this year. That was the low point of the year for sure.
The writing on the wall was our consistent defeats against top quality opposition all season

We had all season to step up but sadly we never had it in us

Haumole was well contained as Lane should have been
Simple, Eels got numbers in front of Haumole (and Koula) but Manly did not get numbers in front of Lane. One on one Lane will poke his head through every time - and he can offload. Our middle defense should have given more cover to stop him.
Having said that the Eels also have a similar threat on the other side with Papalii, and add to that the giant props denting the middle, when on song they are hard to contain.

What’s with Saab refusing to take on the fullback ? Two or three times he was put away and he went with the kick inside. Someone with his pace should feel confident that he would be a good chance of beating the last line.
Saab has poor self awareness. He doesn't seem to know what talent and potential he has. So many times I've seen him baulk at taking on defenders when he should back himself. Sure, he's not as robust and powerful as a Tafua, but he has height and speed. That alone will generate some of the power he lacks and make him very difficult to tackle... but alas, he never uses it in attack. He is starting to show that more in returning the ball.

Saab has poor self awareness. He doesn't seem to know what talent and potential he has. So many times I've seen him baulk at taking on defenders when he should back himself. Sure, he's not as robust and powerful as a Tafua, but he has height and speed. That alone will generate some of the power he lacks and make him very difficult to tackle... but alas, he never uses it in attack. He is starting to show that more in returning the ball.
Saab Hmmmm I don't know maybe it's a confidence thing but he doesn't back his speed. I've noticed a few times thinking here we go Saab in the open then just doesn't put the foot down or it takes him a while to get going , He needs to back himself be a bit selfish I think he will get better though

What was the go with paseka... commentators said he was back on bench and good to go and then never returned?!
Personally I just don't think Hasler has it anymore, we watch the same crap week in week out and nothing ever changes, the bench is poorly used, how many times have we seen players either not used at all or brought on with a few minutes to go and as you say why wasn't Paseka used after his return? It's just so frustrating, I've got nothing against Hasler but I just don't think he's up to modern era football and it shows in our results

If you can afford please follow my lead.

I just placed $20 on the Eels to win the comp at $12.

I figure if enough of us do it their slim chances will be reduced to zero. And if the worst happens you collect.
You made me recall something similar, 95 GF, I went with a mate, a mad gambler and Eagles supporter, spent the week with him in the lead up to the game, Dogs were no chance and paying $7.50 earlier in the week, my mate convinced me to put a $1k on the Dogs, sounds stupid and seemed even more stupid to me at the time, until he explained the following, said if the Mutts pull off the unthinkable it‘ll fuk our day, followed by what’s a thousand if we win, who gives a sh!t, we can have a good day either way, the rest is history.

Personally I just don't think Hasler has it anymore, we watch the same crap week in week out and nothing ever changes, the bench is poorly used, how many times have we seen players either not used at all or brought on with a few minutes to go and as you say why wasn't Paseka used after his return? It's just so frustrating, I've got nothing against Hasler but I just don't think he's up to modern era football and it shows in our results
Tent was strong for the 18 minutes he was on the field. He needed to be there when Doesn'tmatta brought back their two big boppers for the final 20 minutes, and we saw how they added energy to their team. At that stage Manly lead 20-14.
Granted, Tent may have a serious injury so that would be the reason he didn't reappear.
I said pre-match that picking Burbo over The Shoe was a mistake, and it proved correct. We'll never know if The Shoe would have put on some magic, but we always knew that Burbo was never going to make an impression at this stage of his career.
Leaving The Shoe out of our 17 is a waste of massive talent, and he adds another dimension to our attack.

Simple, Eels got numbers in front of Haumole (and Koula) but Manly did not get numbers in front of Lane. One on one Lane will poke his head through every time - and he can offload. Our middle defense should have given more cover to stop him.
Having said that the Eels also have a similar threat on the other side with Papalii, and add to that the giant props denting the middle, when on song they are hard to contain.
yes something I think has been lost from the game with the need to play positional defence and never move out of your "lane" is someone taking it upon themselves to nullify someone in the opposition. Maybe with the defensive structures these days and the decoy runners you can't just decide to try and always attack one man in defence but gee with Lane running rampant out there we needed Haumole to decide wherever Lane went he was going to nail him... if that meant him and Koula swapping spots - so be it. But yes the current belief that defenders have to stay in their position to me leaves continually attacking one defender a pretty easy ask. Sometimes you have to just take a chance, get up out of the line and put a huge shot on....most players no matter how good will get a bit gun shy if they think/know they are going to or might be going to get absolutely pole axed when they touch the footy. Haumole maybe needed to take a bit of initiative and started whacking Lane?

Going against the grain of many here but I would like des to move to a Gould like role at the club and someone like a Flanagan as head coach... or at worst an Ennis as an assistant to des!

Just a question... I haven't watched the second half yet - I went to bed very satisfied with a quality first half but I did see the Harper no try on the News.... maybe my eyes are maroon and white but gee that looked a deadset try for me. I couldn't see any knock on and his hand stayed on the ball. I will watch the second half tomorrow but anyone else have a view if that was a try?

Just a question... I haven't watched the second half yet - I went to bed very satisfied with a quality first half but I did see the Harper no try on the News.... maybe my eyes are maroon and white but gee that looked a deadset try for me. I couldn't see any knock on and his hand stayed on the ball. I will watch the second half tomorrow but anyone else have a view if that was a try?
I think it was a try , The bunker said Harper was backing into the Parra defender but he had his hands all over him , So many times before I have seen players put there hands on a player restricting him from getting the ball and it’s a penalty all day but not last night

I think it was a try , The bunker said Harper was backing into the Parra defender but he had his hands all over him , So many times before I have seen players put there hands on a player restricting him from getting the ball and it’s a penalty all day but not last night
Yes thanks - I thought there was interference for sure but also though his hand was on the ball and that didn't move.

I thought that he was actually a tad short of the line when he touched the ball, regardless of knock on or not. I didn't get many clear views to confirm that, so not 100% sure. Nevertheless, I thought Harper blew what should have been an easy try by over-playing it and focusing on the opposition player instead of the ball.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4