Post-Game Discussion Manly v Eels [Round 21, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Eels
20 4 Pines Park
05 Aug 2022 19:55
76th minute

Match Stats

Saab Hmmmm I don't know maybe it's a confidence thing but he doesn't back his speed. I've noticed a few times thinking here we go Saab in the open then just doesn't put the foot down or it takes him a while to get going , He needs to back himself be a bit selfish I think he will get better though
He needs to develop an in and away…he’s too lanky to step a fullback but he should be fast enough to feign running in one direction before gradually changing to the other. Gutho did it to Garrick last night and he is nowhere near Saab’s speed.

Does anyone else feel the 38-0 magic round drubbing was the writing on the wall for this year? I knew there and then that we were long odds to play finals this year. That was the low point of the year for sure.
Wasn’t the best of games that one, the lowest point for me was definitely last week, tough for a lot of the players to get back into that work for each other mode.

Personally I just don't think Hasler has it anymore, we watch the same crap week in week out and nothing ever changes, the bench is poorly used, how many times have we seen players either not used at all or brought on with a few minutes to go and as you say why wasn't Paseka used after his return? It's just so frustrating, I've got nothing against Hasler but I just don't think he's up to modern era football and it shows in our results
I agree with you, I think Des is definitely needed at the club but in a football management role, similar to Gould or Sheens.

The structures this year in attack have been very ordinary with two experienced halves, the middle lacks intensity and aggression.

The players look more relaxed under Des than what the Des coached teams 14 season’s ago looked.

I would put an offer in for Ciraldo as head coach if I was the Penns, something different is needed sub-par results are not acceptable.

Avoided ST last night.
We shot ourselves in the foot with some unforgivable errors and didn't deserve the win.
One curious observation though, WTF with the Morgan Harper decision. Agree it was a no try but he was pulled off the ball by the eel. Should have been 10 in the bin imo.
Bunker wnkers!

As with niccipops, I avoided ST last night also. Just the realization it's now all over for 22, and the final 30min of last night, was just in a subdued state of mind tbh. The two ex Manly boys Lane and Gutho and with Brown ran riot and showed us what a good power game can bring. Alioi being out was a huge loss to us, having 3 front rowers out injured and Paseka not lasting long also was our final nail in the coffin.

Do you have any negative points you would like to raise?
Let's look at the points I raised @Terry Zarsoff
The team is divided and will probably stay divided for some time. There is no magic wand that will repair a split of the magnitude that we saw leading up to the previous round. i.e Rainbowgate
The administration of the club has been dysfunctional for years. It is also extremely unlikely this will change any time soon with the Penns as club owners. They simply will not allow Mestrov or the next CEO to have the necessary autonomy to make the systemic changes needed for club administration to move from dysfunctional to functional.
Our future as a club in the short term is pretty bleak due to the above two points.
There is no quick fix to Rainbowgate, and this situation was caused entirely by incompetent club management at multiple levels. We have to accept that the situation derailed this season and that if significant changes are not made to how the club functions, it may well derail the next season as well.

I couldn’t understand why we kicked penalties instead of playing for the try. Those two penalties didn’t give us a real buffer. Just took us 6 ahead. When teams take the two it seems to me to show a lack of confidence.

The team is divided and will probably stay divided for some time. There is no magic wand that will repair a split of the magnitude that we saw leading up to the previous round. i.e Rainbowgate
The administration of the club has been dysfunctional for years. It is also extremely unlikely this will change any time soon with the Penns as club owners. They simply will not allow Mestrov or the next CEO to have the necessary autonomy to make the systemic changes needed for club administration to move from dysfunctional to functional.
Our future as a club in the short term is pretty bleak due to the above two points.
There is no quick fix to Rainbowgate, and this situation was caused entirely by incompetent club management at multiple levels. We have to accept that the situation derailed this season and that if significant changes are not made to how the club functions, it may well derail the next season as well.
I think the football part of it ie; Training, how Des manages the team, recruitment and retention, and managing the salary cap are the bigger problems facing us rather than Rainbowgate imo.

As with niccipops, I avoided ST last night also. Just the realization it's now all over for 22, and the final 30min of last night, was just in a subdued state of mind tbh. The two ex Manly boys Lane and Gutho and with Brown ran riot and showed us what a good power game can bring. Alioi being out was a huge loss to us, having 3 front rowers out injured and Paseka not lasting long also was our final nail in the coffin.
Lane and Gutho last night...
Nicho Hines in a couple of weeks (crying emoji face - which isn't currently working)

They didn't strike me as divided last night...
Just outplayed, outcoached & outlucked

I couldn’t understand why we kicked penalties instead of playing for the try. Those two penalties didn’t give us a real buffer. Just took us 6 ahead. When teams take the two it seems to me to show a lack of confidence.
at the time, i thought it was the right decision

Serious question.....

If our season is effectively over to the point where we will be very lucky to play Finals, what does that mean for Turbo's World Cup hopes if he is declared fit to play? Will Mal Meninga pick him for the Kangaroos squad with zero games under his belt since the end of May

I think the last game demonstrates that again Manly is going through a crisis issue. Its been through them before and will be resolved, but quite frankly the players Manly has should have been able to defeat the Eels. I note again the whipping boy is DCE. Sorry but that is a cop out. DCE is easily one of our two best players, one presently in repair.

There is something not working at Manly at the moment. It doesnt mean the players arent trying. It doesnt mean they dont have commitment. It doesnt mean Des is not trying. Often such issues are quite simple. It could be structural, it could be players not playing in the right positions, it could be loss of confidence. But the players Manly have are capable of Top 4 standing. Something functional isnt working. And I'm afraid it often starts with the coach and his strategies.

We've seen this in other teams. Look at Brisbane this year, the Cows, the Dogs since Barrett has left. Des is a good coach, but he's not a great coach like Bellamy or Cleary. We've often said it on this forum. He has a certain blindness to certain elements. One issue is his tendency to compress his defense. And Manly have got to used to star performers like Turbo, and Snake before him to get them out of rough patches. There's a certain toughness missing which only Jake, Croker and DCE display.

I seriously think Des has to rethink his game. He can do it. He's a better than average first grade coach. At present, unless DCE does his magic, they look pedestrian, competent but predictable.

I was trying to be lighthearted. You picked up on that?

As Phil G. might say, enjoy your football.

To be any chance next year we need to have Singe condition the players much better than he did this year !!

Losing Walker and Foran is massive we need to buy some replacements.

If we get improve our defence and conditioning we score enough points to win any game.

Going against the grain of many here but I would like des to move to a Gould like role at the club and someone like a Flanagan as head coach... or at worst an Ennis as an assistant to des!
As long as Ennis doesn't get to talk at the pressers

Serious question.....

If our season is effectively over to the point where we will be very lucky to play Finals, what does that mean for Turbo's World Cup hopes if he is declared fit to play? Will Mal Meninga pick him for the Kangaroos squad with zero games under his belt since the end of May
I will be furious if he plays representative football this year. The Manly club must insist he is unavailable.

Just a question... I haven't watched the second half yet - I went to bed very satisfied with a quality first half but I did see the Harper no try on the News.... maybe my eyes are maroon and white but gee that looked a deadset try for me. I couldn't see any knock on and his hand stayed on the ball. I will watch the second half tomorrow but anyone else have a view if that was a try?
From where I was sitting (in the stand above) it looked like Harper scored and no knock-on. I thought at the time if Atkins (say no more) rules a no try, then we should at least get a penalty for the eels player stopping him from scoring. We got no try or a penalty and this was the turning point of the game imo - our heads went down and we never recovered.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4