Post-Game Discussion Manly v Eels [Round 21, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Eels
20 4 Pines Park
05 Aug 2022 19:55
76th minute

Match Stats

Im really concerned about how much the loss of Walker and Foz will impact us next season.

DCE lost on points to Jacob Arthur tonight...yes Jacob Arthur, the guy everyone said could not play. I dont think we will win a comp while he's our captain. I really like Cherry, but hes too rocks and diamonds to be our leader.

Shaun Lane destroyed us and gave young Koula a bit of a lesson.

Reuben looks busted. He's been so good for us but a long run at fullback has taken its toll. He was caught out of position several times tonight. He's been great for us this year. But Gutho won the battle easily tonight.

I know hes young, but Burbo has a lot of work to do to be a serious first grader.When Koula went off for HIA, we lost a lot of momentum. Burbo offers very little in attack.

Anyway, Parra smoked us, too big too strong too fast. I hate saying it, but I've watched them two weeks in a row. I think they can contend...yes, give me the dislikes, but their pack is big and mobile and Dylan Brown is really good.

What was the go with paseka... commentators said he was back on bench and good to go and then never returned?!
Yep. Poor bloke Paseka....His knee is stuffed. Get him the surgery and regroup and stop flogging the dead horse. Parker needs operation too.

Cues in the rack. Titans next week we'll get pumped sadly. Make yourselves some.cash.

22 unanswered points in a must win wow. Would have been a different game if we defended the short 10 better. We stop that and keep the momentum somethings may have been different.

22 unanswered points in a must win wow. Would have been a different game if we defended the short 10 better. We stop that and keep the momentum somethings may have been different.
For years now, including last year when Tom managed almost a whole season and played like Superman, we have been unable to defend. Yes, it's particularly obvious down Cherry's side of the field, but it's really all over the park and it doesn't seem to change no matter who we have on the field. We can't stop offloads in the middle and we can't make the right reads or tackle out wide. If we do not have the ball, we are f***ed. Which makes it all the more baffling that we show such little respect for the ball when we do have it.

And don't get me started on our reaction to any kind of adversity. Long story short: it's not good.

No idea where we go from here.

No one should take this team seriously as contenders when DCE is in this team & he’s paid a grotesque amount, an amount of money which severely undermines the teams ability to be surrounded by better players.
An essential game to win & DCE is not even in the top 12 players on the pitch - Embarrassing. Another DCE failure against a good team. How many times ???

Finally Saab has a good game. He really needs to build on this.

Foran is far & away the better halve & he’s leaving & DCE is staying. Utter madness.
Manly’s Left side attack has 2 reserve graders playing there in Davey & Harper, but that side looks far more dangerous mostly because of Foran’s superior ball playing.

PS. Turbo knew that he should spend most of his time on Foran’s side earlier this season, and now we see Garrick learning the same lesson. A lesson that Des & the club doesn’t recognise.

1st photo. DCE ignores a wide open Winger who would have scored.
2nd photo. DCE can’t even keep up with Turtle Gutherson.
3rd photo. DCE looking directly at the play the ball and not realising he has to be the dummy half.

Attachments

• EA24F146-20C8-490D-B855-34D10DB40233.jpeg
    EA24F146-20C8-490D-B855-34D10DB40233.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 67472866-9DD6-4E40-A914-2A3BF826A5AC.jpeg
    67472866-9DD6-4E40-A914-2A3BF826A5AC.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 45
  • 6DA22A36-4E8F-4F3E-81F2-6779B4303547.jpeg
    6DA22A36-4E8F-4F3E-81F2-6779B4303547.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 45
Des has his work cut out in 2023

Unless we improve dramatically we are again a middle of the table side next year.
I don't even see that. We've just got the same duds that we had this year, a team that is split over a ****en rainbow jersey and making things worse is that we are losing players (Foran, Walker, Tapau, Davey etc) and not gaining much quality. Yep, this season we missed Turbo but we all know he won't get through a season without a season ending injury by round 10. Next season bottom 4.

Roosters, Parra can never win at Brookie but we've folded like a deck of cards. I'd expect the Sharks will towel us up as well. Pretty sad state of affairs. This club has performed so poorly since 2014 it's becoming a joke. Used to expect Manly to win every game they play but now I just expect nothing and hope we at least put in effort. We've trumped the Dragon bbq gate last year with pride gate but there were obvious issues with the squad before this. Any organisation that pays 1 person so much more than the rest of the team has got to expect resentment and a feeling of well he should shoulder the responsibility. I don't see any way out until that situation changes and we assemble a squad that are all on the same page. This is a fractured club and playing group but has been for a long time now.

Just beaten in the end by a better side, we ran out of gas. Parra moved the ball around the ruck and Koula was lost out there tonight.

Turning point was Harper's no try and then next set Blake scores a lucky put down on touch line but in the end parra's off loads and strong middle were hard to contain and Dylan Edwards and Gutho took advantage
Koula has been taking lessons off DCE shooting out of the line. Does my head in.

Hard to come to terms with the 2 nd half fade out when the side did so well to recover to 20 - 14 and one unlucky bounce away from then going up another likely 6 points to really be in contention . Had such a good rhythm going in attack also for a good part that i st half recovery as well and not sure what happened to that in the 2 nd half . Even the defense fell away alarmingly , tough and physical contest and maybe that eventually took a tool for Manly along with most breaks and luck going the Eels way but again the resilience drop off quite concerning . Never that confident but were times before the Eels final convincing run that Manly could pull it off . Certainly can 't dismiss Garrick 's good value at the back [ but obviously very average last night ] but type of game where Turbo 's presence could have made a real difference particularly in attack . Shame that Oloka - atu could not have been used a bit more effectively just wide of the ruck like Lane was. Too late now but needed more attention to Lane , gave them a big advantage at critical times last night . Have to take into account that the Eels bought some good form into the game and Manly were on the cusp of getting the better of them until that 2 nd half collapse . Big positive had to be Saab going to another level , think that they missed Alioia 's aggression and determination as well .

Shame that Oloka - atu could not have been used a bit more effectively just wide of the ruck like Lane was.
The Eels knew our biggest threats were on our RHS attack, DCE gave early ball to Koula several times but the Eels had stacked defence on that side and neither he nor Haumole could make much impression.
They did that at the cost of the other side which is why every time we sent the ball left we made a lot of ground.
Defense was our downfall, obviously as they scored 7 tries. Massive disruption of our team in the last 2 weeks hindered us badly in that but looking at the whole season Manly's priority #1 is to get the defence in order. Better to win games 14-12 than to lose 36-20.

Manly forwards were dominated when Marty was on the field. Our points and momentum came when Marty was off the field. Familiar story?
And of course he had to have his one fukwit offload that travels back 15 metres on the ground. Let him go to the Eels.

Scuttled by covid in Rd 19

Not even close to round 11, but win 19 would of kept a dim flicker of hope for making the 8 but we gone the day Tom got injured.

No team can be without their best player and still win the comp.

The Eels knew our biggest threats were on our RHS attack, DCE gave early ball to Koula several times but the Eels had stacked defence on that side and neither he nor Haumole could make much impression.
They did that at the cost of the other side which is why every time we sent the ball left we made a lot of ground.
Defense was our downfall, obviously as they scored 7 tries. Massive disruption of our team in the last 2 weeks hindered us badly in that but looking at the whole season Manly's priority #1 is to get the defence in order. Better to win games 14-12 than to lose 36-20.
To be honest Ola just doesn’t run onto the ball hard enough. Indeed our whole team was guilty of going sideways. I was at the game and it was very very clear how hard and straight parra ran compared with us. We ran sideways a lot!! We actually scored a couple tries running around them but that wasn’t ever gunna win the game. But ola catches the ball standing still way more times than he catches it running hard. And Tui I’m afraid to say has got into a bad habit of running sideways in his yardage hit ups. Again, players like panasini for Parra ran so much harder and straighter coming out of yardage. It just gets the set off to such a good start. And what happened to Paseka? He was our most impactful forward and he never came back on?? Injured??

Assuming he is fit a Parker needs to comeback, looks like Foz has done his hammy so Schuster to 5/8 (time to show what he is made of).

I think Garrick has run out of puff - been great covering Tom. Maybe give Koula a run there.

Not sure about Ben T - I don’t think he is ready.

Anyway Des needs to think about the future

This is highlights of a Fit Parker being owned by quality opposition

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4