Post-Game Discussion Manly v Bulldogs [Round 1, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Bulldogs
31 4 Pines Park
04 Mar 2023 15:00
80:00 minute

Match Stats

I wasn't all that impressed by DCE today or the attack in general, it was very poor to watch and a yawn.

In fairness hot exhausting conditions and first game nerves played its part but the only impressive element out of the game was the unity and starch in the defence that kept at it all game(shows good attitude and fitness levels) even in the heat, but it really wasn't tested by a very weak predictable opposition.

Manly look good when playing short, flat, direct first man plays and using the second man depth plays as the option play. Playing more off the front foot and rolling forward is when we look good, i thought Croker(attacking wise) was disappointing also which didn't help with the sharpness out of the ruck. You can get away with steady play from the ruck when you have the likes of Foran and Walker offering attacking penetration and variety but today his limitations got showed up and made it more difficult for the lack of penetration style attack Cooper and DCE offer.

Having both Cooper and DCE who don't take the line on often will be showed up against quality opposition and the points wont flow unless we win the battle in the middle with the points coming off the back of winning the grind.

Was a boring game to watch and a struggle to stay interested throughout but i did love the effort on display which is good to see.
You sure know how to spoil a party but I can't disagree with anything you said. That win was built off defensive resolve and making less mistakes than the doggies. TBF we improved in the areas that let us down last year and if we continue that the attack will click.

Hopefully Schuster back against the Eels, Weekes has been very good in the trial games though for me if Gordy can play he would be should be the 14 IMO.

A few unlucky ones not to be in the 17 which is what we want, Fifita if fit maybe in for Ben T.

Looking forward too round 3 after today the team will only get better in attack.

You sure know how to spoil a party but I can't disagree with anything you said. That win was built off defensive resolve and making less mistakes than the doggies. TBF we improved in the areas that let us down last year and if we continue that the attack will click.
If the attack doesn't click, evolve and improve it's output efficiency the defence will lose it's steal eventually from lacking a reward for their efforts.

Today against a weak opposition the good starch in our defensive efforts was enough to come over the top, when Manly get punished points wise after failing in attack ourselves that is when we will see if the mental defensive toughness is real or not.

Hopefully Schuster back against the Eels, Weekes has been very good in the trial games though for me if Gordy can play he would be should be the 14 IMO.

A few unlucky ones not to be in the 17 which is what we want, Fifita if fit maybe in for Ben T.

Looking forward too round 3 after today the team will only get better in attack.
Hopefully Schuster shows more than stuck on the left edge playing heavy and overloading with second man plays or lacking sharpness drifting to the right side(merely for variety)and not contributing an effective high quality sharp play.

I mentioned it was hot and first game nerves but the attacking structures in general were very poor to watch and not worth paying money for.
Yep, I thought I was agreeing with you but I just wouldn't say it was boring. I enjoyed having a full house, I enjoyed that the forwards really aimed up, I enjoyed watching Parker do his hard work and I thought the Paseka, Turbo, DCE try was pretty good. So I'll take that as good Saturday arvo entertainment for sure.

Hopefully Schuster shows more than stuck on the left edge playing heavy and overloading with second man plays or lacking sharpness drifting to the right side(merely for variety)and not contributing an effective high quality sharp play.
Schuster has a decent left foot step and a freakish ability to pass in every direction from any body position. I can't wait to see our LHS with him as the playmaker.

The main benefit of Schuster over Cooper on the left is at least Schuster has size and power to hold the defensive line on him which will lead to more effective second man plays and defensive mistakes to his left, so the attacking output will improve.

How effective Schuster remains when he fatigues during poor periods of play or high tempo games is the big question mark.

Dogs looked like they had no idea, ciraldo is the new Barrett.

Not sure how burton and Kikau could’ve been any worse.
Yeah, the dogs were very ordinary. Aside from Mahoney, who gave it everything, they had nothing else to offer. Burton was anonymous and the loss of two of their best middle forwards obviously did them no favours. Still exciting to get the win though, and to know how much room there is for improvement.

If the attack doesn't click, evolve and improve it's output efficiency the defence will lose it's steal eventually from lacking a reward for their efforts.

Today against a weak opposition the good starch in our defensive efforts was enough to come over the top, when Manly get punished points wise after failing in attack ourselves that is when we will see if the mental defensive toughness is real or not.
Bit harsh TC, to only concede one try and a dodgy one at that, in very hot conditions was a real stand out for me. But I see your point about our attack, Koala didn't get positioned to take the ball through a gap today, but instead was around Kikau's legs bringing him down all afternoon, which kinda made up for it.

From Post #1

FULL TIME SCORE

Manly: 31
Bulldogs: 6

333665848_1263425597912592_4350791597303296489_n.jpg

Pic: Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Facebook Page

Team Victory Song:

Pressers:

Post Match Interviews:

Match Report:

Sea Eagles Stats Review: TBA

Match Highlights:

Extended Match Highlights: TBA

Full Match Replay Link:

Manly Tries:

Game Pics & Video Clips:

Press Print & Video Articles:
Dogs rebuild far from finished after Manly dust-up

‘Ridiculous’ call leaves great in disbelief

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, the dogs were very ordinary. Aside from Mahoney, who gave it everything, they had nothing else to offer. Burton was anonymous and the loss of two of their best middle forwards obviously did them no favours. Still exciting to get the win though, and to know how much room there is for improvement.
Reed Mahoney shone out like a beacon in that doggies team . He’s a seriously good player.

Anyone else on the hill today? The pyrotechnics were not pleasant. It was hot as a mofo and the flames added to the discomfort. Save the flames for late July. You can feel the heat at the back of the hill. A water fountain or dry ice cannons would be preferable on a day like today.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8