Manly Spoon. The table does not lie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Whilst scoring an average of less than 10 points per game and conceding at an average of over 33.6 points per game we are contenders for the spoon. The dogs have conceded 34.8 per game and have only scored 6.8 points per game. The Raider are 8th scoring 20.6 points per games and conceding 18 per game. We are a long way of the pace. It is clear we need to maintain the defensive effort against the warriors but we need many more points per game to be seriously competitive. We have a long way to go.

I mean if you are purely basing predictions on the last 5 weeks then of course we are competing to avoid the spoon.

But the season isn't a write off yet As we have Turbo and Olakua'atu returning. Lawton in 4-5 weeks should help us at hooker. If key players like DCE, Jurbo and Marty can have an uptick in form that will help, Schuster will only improve with more game time......then you have an enigma like Saab who has blinding pace but can also look like a baby giraffe at times, if he can work on his game and improve that helps as as well.

We have the potential we just need to keep working on turning that potential into points

Last edited:
You can't really extrapolate our whole season from the first few games. We played heavyweights and we were ailing badly.
Des tends to have his sides improve as the season goes on. (Except for last year!)
Yep, I’ve heard Malcolm Blight ( ex top AFL coach) on SEN a few times say a pretty good gauge is around seven games or so.
Generally you’ve played a few top teams, a few bottom teams, home, away etc - you’d think it’d translate to NRL somewhat too.

Yep, I’ve heard Malcolm Blight ( ex top AFL coach) on SEN a few times say a pretty good gauge is around seven games or so.
Generally you’ve played a few top teams, a few bottom teams, home, away etc - you’d think it’d translate to NRL somewhat too.
Possibly, but these days injuries are playing a bigger role for teams so true form and ability can be harder to gauge. I’m not sure the afl clubs experience the same number of injuries as Nrl. Could be completely wrong tho. I usually say 10 games. 5 home 5 away (but in our case 3 home, 1 at Mudgee another in Brisbane)

Sacrilegious, I know, but I kinda think it would be best for the club if we do get the spoon. Many teams have spooned only to be in premiership contention the following year. (This of course assumes that there will be a next year, but hey, they're building the Northern Stand for something ).
Spooning will put the whole club's conciousness into the place that they cannot deny = UTTER FAILURE.
This will allow it to make the sort of ground-up / wholesale / clean out changes that are necessary.
Only new ownership / recruitment/ coaching / funding will be able to see what the necessary changes are, and implement. Best if we spoon. See?

Sacrilegious, I know, but I kinda think it would be best for the club if we do get the spoon. Many teams have spooned only to be in premiership contention the following year. (This of course assumes that there will be a next year, but hey, they're building the Northern Stand for something ).
Spooning will put the whole club's conciousness into the place that they cannot deny = UTTER FAILURE.
This will allow it to make the sort of ground-up / wholesale / clean out changes that are necessary.
Only new ownership / recruitment/ coaching / funding will be able to see what the necessary changes are, and implement. Best if we spoon. See?
NO

Agreed!
By the way, just found this summary of spoon anomalies on wikipedia:

Reversing fortunes

Western Suburbs were the only team to finish last in a season (1933) and then back up with a premiership in the following year. In season 2009 the Sydney Roosters finished last, winning just five games, however conjured a remarkable turnaround on and off the field to make the Grand final the following season.

In 2003, the Penrith Panthers won a premiership after finishing wooden spooners in 2001, and after finishing round 2 of the 2003 season in last place (15th). In the 2014 NRL season, the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks were the wooden spoon recipients. They went on to win the 2016 Premiership.

After winning the 1942 premiership, Canterbury-Bankstown then crashed to last place in season 1943. After winning the 1952 premiership, Western Suburbs finished last in the season 1953. South Sydney went from minor premiers in 1989 to wooden spooners in 1990.

In 2010 the Melbourne Storm repeated this feat, albeit in unusual circumstances. The Storm then went on to win its first official minor premiership in the 2011 season, before finishing one game short of the Grand Final.

Indeed.

And hopefully the people who instigated that sorry affair have learnt their lesson.

Don’t undermine a Manly champion only to replace him with an out-of-towner.
And yet, the out of towner with the worst coaching record in the NRL still managed to accrue a delusional fanbase on Silvertails. Go figure... cue the Twighlight Zone music.

No no no never
Give yourself a spoon.
Or spoon your $%##
Manly do not need no spoon unless its silver

Before you can solve a problem you must admit that there is a problem.
Swallow your pride and address it.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6