Manly Signings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If you forgot to read the first time.

Once we are over our 2nd rower injuries, Lawton will be fine to move to hooker.

Not sure how Croker has gone from terrible, hopeless to we need to sign him. Most here have been saying from the beginning to play Cust instead of Croker.
Croker was never terrible and I would question people calling for his head earlier in the season. Its just smart recruitment to retain him on a cheaper deal. Its that simple!

If ever a player personified my picture of what a "Manly" player represents .. it is Croker.

3 serious knee reconstructions before his 10th 1st grade game, dropped, recalled, dropped, bagged mercilessly by the "fans" .. but still turned up and refused to quit .. what, you want me to play hooker OK ... again his form is less than stellar, again comes the relentless bagging ... and again comes the character and the no quit attitude ... and again the kid shows the grit ..

He will never be a star, but he is turning into a damn good !st grader ... and one that I am proud to see wear the Manly jersey ... all clubs need their Crokers ...

I admitted surprise when one of the first things Dessie did in 2019 was to re-signed him, even though he was still injured. .. and I suspect that if Dessie wasn't going to let him go when he was a busted nobody ... he will be very unlikely to let him go now ...

L
Agree, If Fainu goes to jail, Croker should be signed.

If Fainu is set free Croker is surplus.
Lawton's versatility makes him the perfect 14. Even if Fainu is cleared then he starts and Lawton 14. That means Croker and Cust are back ups. That's the sort of depth in the spine that wins premierships. Look at Panthers, they have Burton and May not getting starts in the spine. Lucky Panthers didn't see Burton as "surplus"

Again this will sound harsh but here I go......Croker is doing an admirable job, but he'd rank somewhere around 15-20 if you were rating the best hookers in the game.

If we get caught in a pickle with the Fainu situation I'd be fine with extending him for a season but I cant see any rush and if someone else snapped him up we can find a comparable option.

Yep your right mate. No he isn't but a very good chance he will be released, and end up with the Warriors for 2022. Particularly if his contract isn't upgraded and extended beyond 2022.
Only if they see him as a hooker. SJ and CHT will be Warriors halves next year.

Again this will sound harsh but here I go......Croker is doing an admirable job, but he'd rank somewhere around 15-20 if you were rating the best hookers in the game.

If we get caught in a pickle with the Fainu situation I'd be fine with extending him for a season but I cant see any rush and if someone else snapped him up we can find a comparable option.
So you believe a squad only needs 2 hookers? Rorters have used 5 this season so far.

So you believe a squad only needs 2 hookers? Rorters have used 5 this season so far.
I believe Cust is contracted and able to operate as a third string option whilst Birt or Chan Kum Tong can nab a development contract.

I'm also not against Crocker resigning but think we can wait to till after the season as there are many options around that offer the same or better output.

Edited : I think your right on Siro, and also believe that Croker plus Boyle, Gosiewski and Taufua will not be given new contracts, and Cust's contract will not be extended either. Out of those players Croker would be the one to keep, but will end up spending a lot of time in Blacktown. (Fainu situation dependent of course)
Yes agreed - I hope Fainu is back.....but gee Police are dragging the chain if they are supposedly dropping the charges because someone else allegedly fessed up. Lots of ifs and buts and allegations with that case and mistaken identity but the charges are still there at the moment....... Croker though is worth keeping in my books. I was one of those fools after 4 rounds that wanted him gone with Garrick as well as those you named but he has really been damn good and is a great defender.

People assuming Fainu will pick up where he left off might be disappointed too. He has had a bad injury and such a long time out of the game.
He'll be nursed along. He is a huge talent and hopefully he leaps out of the gates, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if that happens.
Correct…. Everyone said the same thing about Hoppa

just sayin’

Correct…. Everyone said the same thing about Hoppa

just sayin’
Critical difference is Fainu has been training and in the system the entire time (rehab for portions).........very different from completely being removed from the game.

But yes he will take time to come back and may never return to where he was at

I put Croker in the category of players like Cotter, Clark, Liddle, Boyd, Rein, Kenny, Egan, Granville, Marshall-King, F Lussick, Randall etc etc.
Except it's not the case that players of similar ability can just be seamlessly swapped between clubs.
An NRL squad is not just a list of players. They are also people. What price do you put on the trust and friendship and club loyalty built up over several seasons?
“Stability is an important ingredient of success at the elite level", said Sea Eagles CEO Stephen Humphreys. He's right!

Fair enough you see it that way. Do you think there is a better defender in that lot...or even equal? I think he is top 3 9 defender in the comp.

I believe Croker is a necessary retention.

If you are talking tackle efficiency in the NRL in 2021 then Marshall King, J Lussick, F Lussick, Clark, Cotter are rated higher whilst Egan is the same at 91%

If you are talking tackles per game Egan and Kenny are higher whilst Liddle is equal at 35 per game

Though if missed tackles is your thing than J Lussick, F Lussick, Clark are rated higher whilst and Rein is the same.

No doubt Croker has been a good clog defensively but he is no Matt Ballin whilst offering little in attack.

Basically I think peoples views on Croker are too tied to the teams form. When we are losing he has to go, when we are winning he has to stay.....I think things are a little more nuanced than that.

Sure he has improved since the first for rounds but not as significantly as many make out, he is still not the guy who will impact the result of the game. He is the guy that will fill a role and I think we can aspire to higher in a key position.

Buuuut as said, that doesn't mean he has to go, just that we investigate if we can upgrade, see what happens with Fainu then make a decision in the off season.

Except it's not the case that players of similar ability can just be seamlessly swapped between clubs.
An NRL squad is not just a list of players. They are also people. What price do you put on the trust and friendship and club loyalty built up over several seasons?
“Stability is an important ingredient of success at the elite level", said Sea Eagles CEO Stephen Humphreys. He's right!
Agreed

Stability is important.
Balance of the roster is important.
Some new faces to keep things fresh is important.
Price is important.
Potential is important.
Progression is important

Many factors to consider thus no need for us to rush into locking Croker down right now. Wait till the off season, he is not in high demand

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4