Manly Premiership 2022 - 2023 or not happening ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
This Manly squad has youth, experience, skill, speed and though lacked that extra resolve in the finals series - maybe this 2021 season has been the platform to hit that next level in the next few seasons.
I also note a few other dominant sides in recent years, are losing a few valuable players and look weakened and if anything, I expect an improved Manly side next season, keep in mind this was a side with basically "new" with Saab, Harper, Foran, Aloiai, Schu, Guoc, Lawton all really only coming together in 2021 making it an even better result for a team many were calling wooden spooners by Round 4....
Not to be a party pooper but I have a feel we are ripe to take the 2023 Premiership, but give 2022 a real shake.
Interested to hear predictions of our "Next" Premiership Win and why ??

Hate to say it but probably lost a real opportunity to win a title in 2019 so certainly hope that the next couple of seasons definitely offers another serious opportunity . Have to think that if Turbo and Joel Thommo were available in that 2019 final "s Souths narrow loss , would have gotten the better of them , already had the edge on the Raiders who were definitely unlucky against premiers Roosters . And Manly seemed to be playing much more consistent and mistake free footy then . Just relating this in suggesting that the next couple of season 's prospects are going to have to have the squad playing at least close or preferably better to that level and with Tom in the mix this time also naturally . Still do not think that the side has compensated well from the departure of A F B , Olakau - atu has boosted the forward line up , Jake still good , Schuster up there but current props just have lacked the required consistency and authority. Walker , Suli and Parker at 6 and centres respectively probably better in the big games then the present grouping there . With Saab , wingers better now but Api and Manase a better 9 arrangement . Think that some definite improvement is needed in the centres and prop department and just that better ball control more prevalent in 2019. Healthy final's roster was not generally in Manly 's favor in 2019 and of course, vitally need it for a serious threat in the next couple of seasons

What we need is another centre of excellence.
5CC919E3-244B-46D4-9F08-138D05B36898.jpeg

I still don’t see us as potentially better than this years top 3, although what happens to South’s sans Bennett / Reynolds is an unknown.

So at least we aren’t better than 2 of this years top 3, and our roster isn’t radically improved from this year so I think 2022 is a real stretch.

As to 2023, we’ll that’ll depend on how the Panthers get broken apart with the cap , we could well jump into the top 2 then.

I’m however more pessimistic than many on here so as to winning a Premiership in the next two years I personally can’t see it.

I still don’t see us as potentially better than this years top 3, although what happens to South’s sans Bennett / Reynolds is an unknown.

So at least we aren’t better than 2 of this years top 3, and our roster isn’t radically improved from this year so I think 2022 is a real stretch.

As to 2023, we’ll that’ll depend on how the Panthers get broken apart with the cap , we could well jump into the top 2 then.

I’m however more pessimistic than many on here so as to winning a Premiership in the next two years I personally can’t see it.
I can't see it with Croker , Foran , Parker , Harper in those positions as well as our lack of forward muscle. Taupau isn't the leader who the other forwards can follow anymore. Unless we get some major improvement in defense structure then we will continue to get the same results and struggle against the top defensive sides.

still don’t see us as potentially better than this years top 3, although what happens to South’s sans Bennett / Reynolds is an unknown.

This year - Croker's first year as full-time dummy half, Schuster and Haumole first year of NRL, Saab and Harper 1st year of NRL.
The roster may not be radically improved (though Bullemor is a quality in) but a number of individuals should certainly be stronger, and so should the teamwork because we had such a lot of new faces in the side this year.
Improved enough to beat the top 3? Maybe!

New players is one thing, maturity off the back of the experience of this year is another. We need to dabble a little in the former (which we started with Bullemor) and can expect the latter from a number of our players. This can only speak to improvement provided injuries do not fall outside reasonable margins.

I don't see Penrith or Melbourne improving to any discernable degree, and I would expect Souths to dip without Bennett, Reynolds and even Gagai. I also don't see anyone overtaking us. The Roosters will probably improve at a similar rate to us (remembering they will need to rely on a number of youngsters next year). Parramatta will be about the same again, while the Sharks could well improve to make the bottom half of the eight.

I think we could jag a GF next year; however, 2023 is the year I expect us to win it.

I can't see it with Croker , Foran , Parker , Harper in those positions as well as our lack of forward muscle. Taupau isn't the leader who the other forwards can follow anymore. Unless we get some major improvement in defense structure then we will continue to get the same results and struggle against the top defensive sides.
I see us much like we were in 2005/6 full of promise but short 2/3 players who can take us that extra step.

Back then the addition of Kite / Lyon and the final piece Orford changed everything.

You’ve highlighted our weaknesses above , I can’t disagree with that.

This year - Croker's first year as full-time dummy half, Schuster and Haumole first year of NRL, Saab and Harper 1st year of NRL.
The roster may not be radically improved (though Bullemor is a quality in) but a number of individuals should certainly be stronger, and so should the teamwork because we had such a lot of new faces in the side this year.
Improved enough to beat the top 3? Maybe!
Your last word says it all!!

Fingers crossed, premierships are never easy, but we have a good a chance in the next couple of years.

Wow !! theirs a lot of doubters on this thread, we came from 13th in 2020 to 4th and one win away from a GF appearance last season. We have so much up side going for us, we have a young pack apart from Marty, and bolstered with a big addition in Bullymore. A lot of our younger players were feeling the pinch coming into the finals non so evident than the Souths Prelim, it was an errorathon, but you could see even after this loss we are a side on the rise. With a good pre season ahead, and the experienced garnered from being in the finals this year, theirs more to like than not like.

Look I'd like to be able to give you a gilt-edged guarantee, but 'maybe' is still pretty good :)
Put it this way, we are quoted as 3rd favourite to win the grand final next year, they always put the premiers as early favourite but they almost never win, so really that puts us in the top 2... lol :)
I’ll grant you this , I think we’ll be top 4 again.

As to the next step , dunno.

We need to become more consistent. The difference between our best and our poor performances is huge too often, whereas Melbourne and Penrith this year were very consistent. Souths had a couple of hiccups but were otherwise consistent particularly in the back end of the season. So we need to become a disciplined side that plays smart footy and respects possession to take that next step. We need to perform like we did against Parra in round 1 week in and week out.

The three big variables for me are

1. The no 9. Crocker is a great honest player but I am not sure he has the class in attack (although we scored enough points against the lower teams)
2. Injuires...
3. How the kids bounce back from their first full season of NRL i.e. Gauc, Shoe, Harper etc.

Tick those boxes and we are a real shot

The three big variables for me are

1. The no 9. Crocker is a great honest player but I am not sure he has the class in attack (although we scored enough points against the lower teams)
2. Injuires...
3. How the kids bounce back from their first full season of NRL i.e. Gauc, Shoe, Harper etc.

Tick those boxes and we are a real shot
The 4th one to me is how we stiffen our defence.

Look back at most of the finals games and that’s how they were won.

That last 10 minutes of the GF the Panthers gave up trying to score again and just tried to protect that skinny 2 point lead.

They were like men possessed!!

There’s no way we have that ability you just know it’s a set of six repeats away from a score against us.

The 4th one to me is how we stiffen our defence.

Look back at most of the finals games and that’s how they were won.

That last 10 minutes of the GF the Panthers gave up trying to score again and just tried to protect that skinny 2 point lead.

They were like men possessed!!

There’s no way we have that ability you just know it’s a set of six repeats away from a score against us.
I honestly think this will happen with Des over the off season. We can not underestimate the impact of the it being the first full season (thanks to COVID last year) for most of the kids in our team

Last two times we made the finals we followed it up with two absolute stinkers (2018 and 2020). It's important we carry this year's form forward and start the new season strongly which we haven't done in a long time.

To move into that top group of teams I think we need our young guys (Schuster, Haumole, Saab, Harper) to take the next step and of course Tommy to play as many games as possible. I do feel however we may be capped by Parker and Croker (reliable players but offer very little in attack) and our forward pack, whilst solid it is lacking a dominant leader. I think Paseka could fill this role as he has all the attributes and has improved every season, it's a shame he got injured at the end of the season which affected his minutes in the finals.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4