Manly members not renewing - Rabbitohs on the verge of new membership record

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Darren said:
Interesting how their such poor game for viewing attracts huge amounts of "live" fans (Collingwood vs Carlton get 95k) but our "greatest game of all" tips around the 10-15k range. Why can't League attract huge amounts of fans? What, Foxtel? AFL is broadcast live but they don't seem to make our excuses?

Everyone knows that NRL is a better game to watch on tv than AFL. Going to an AFL game lets the fan appreciate all that goes on off the ball, whereas league is two solid lines (or not quite solid if you are playing Manly) smashing one another.

I didn't think the afl was broadcast live to those effected teams = more people had to go to the grounds to see their team.

That's how it used to be.

swoop said:
I've been a member of the FC and the MWSE since about 2005, even though I live 6 hours away and can't get to any games. I just think supporting Manly or any other club also means financial contibutions to keep it viable. No financial members, no club!

Me too, and by 6 hours away...I mean 10,000 kilometres.

Clint said:
Brookvale said:
George Rose just called me. I feel so special.

Don't. He called me too....;)

That's it, not rejoining early anymore unless some manly player calls me!!

I get your point GE - but I dont think it has anything to do about renewing or not renewing given that I renewed before Christmas but still got a call yesterday.

I am sure your phone call is on its way mate. ;) just be patient - it's coming from hong kong.

As has been mentioned here may times before, comparing NRL and AFL is not fair, as the Melbourne teams have their heritage in the inner suburbs (ie not far from the city), and their public transport system to get to the main grounds is so much better than what we have here in Sydney.

The membership thing is historical. AFL clubs had to foster membership from early years as they didn't have any League Clubs to financially prop them up. It seems to me that membership in NRL clubs has only been encouraged in the last five years or so. Clubs didn't really care while there was a steady drip feed of money into the clubs. So, in the future children of current members will join, hopefully, and membership will organically grow, or not, depending on the influence that parents have. Mind you I know of parents who follow one team while their kids follow another. Weird and downright disgraceful.

No KE, people keep asking the same questions? It's sad we continue to struggle financially, logistically and financially we are in a bad spot.

Brookie4 Eva, I don't believe everyone lives in the city district of Melbourne. My wife has family that travel hours into the city to see games. They have lfriends that do the same. The bottom line is we are a poorly supported team, we have no Leagues club support anymore and have the worst ground in NRL, AFL and A League. Without ownership we wouldn't even have a team. We must make ourselves self sufficient and our current model won't do this.

Let's hope our owners continue to pour their dough into the club 4 ever!

I disagee that we are poorly supported. We have plenty of supporters but unfortunately many are just apathetic and do not believe in membership. Unfortunately league fans and especially ours want value for money in membership and do not see it as a financial contribution to the clubs survival.

I agree with Darren that our ground is ****. Not sure it is any worse than Leichardt or Shark Park though. And I am not sure playing out of Allianz will help our cause a great deal. Unless they throw a great wad of cash at us.

I am yet to renew, although I will, I loved the battle of the beaches, I was always promoting manly memberships to my mates, and in facebook, shame really, none the less I'll get onto it !

Why does the US and UK and many parts of the the world have fans willing to pay a fortune for a chance to watch a live game of their beloved team?

Think Chicago Bulls, NFL college football and soccer throughout the world.

What is the glaring thing we are missing here?

Is it as simple as the luxury of pay TV? Surely other codes worldwide appeal to a lower socioeconomic demographic, yet fill their grounds to to the rafters!

Darren said:
No KE, people keep asking the same questions? It's sad we continue to struggle financially, logistically and financially we are in a bad spot.

Still better off then norths financially, and a much better place logistically then Redfern.

Clint said:
I get your point GE - but I dont think it has anything to do about renewing or not renewing given that I renewed before Christmas but still got a call yesterday.

I am sure your phone call is on its way mate. ;) just be patient - it's coming from hong kong.

I had a point??

Hong Kong ..lol

C'mon 12k!

edit: need a phone too I guess!

Maybe it's because it bloody takes sooo long to receive your membership pack. I ordered mine on the 4th of February thinking that should give me heaps of time before season kickoff.
Just received an email today saying that it's been dispatched and can take 7-10 days to arrive in my hot little hands.
I get parcels delivered from overseas that take 5 days to get here.
Is this the normal delivery time cause if so its a bloody disgrace?

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6