Manly Match-Fixing Investigation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is of concern is Kelly confirmed that the club has had meetings with the NRL about concerns over player associations with these identities.
That isnt what he said at all!

He said he had had conversations with the NRL and Todd G about the allegations which are at this moment just one spoken line by one single policeman and that the NRL are just as in the dark as anyone else

That isnt what he said at all!

He said he had had conversations with the NRL and Todd G about the allegations which are at this moment just one spoken line by one single policeman and that the NRL are just as in the dark as anyone else
He did say it mate. At the 7.39 mark. This took place some 18 months ago. Joke said he was only became aware of it yesterday, but has had it confirmed that the meeting did take place.

He did say it mate. At the 7.39 mark. This took place some 18 months ago. Joke said he was only became aware of it yesterday, but has had it confirmed that the meeting did take place.
I sit behind my computer corrected thanks

What is of concern is Kelly confirmed that the club has had meetings with the NRL about concerns over player associations with these identities.
It's extremely concerning. Especially when you consider this particular identity has allegedly, been familiar with the senior playing group for some time. Just seems somewhat too eloborate or too far fetched to be true.

It's extremely concerning. Especially when you consider this particular identity has allegedly, been familiar with the senior playing group for some time. Just seems somewhat too eloborate or too far fetched to be true.

What makes it even funnier is they pampered some of those players yet gave the coach the arse...go figure !

Exactly. Is anyone else concerned that our CEO was (or at least claims to have been) unaware that our Chair met with the NRL to discuss concerns about our players associating with criminals?

What exactly does he do as CEO? Was he just bought in to sign Luke Burgess?

Also how can Penn express concerns about players associating with criminals on one hand and then have a barney with the NRL about them not wanting him to coach because he associates with criminals on the other?

Something doesn't add up.

Interesting read from Andrew Webster in the SMH:

Eddie Hayson breaks silence about match-fixing allegations
Ten days ago I phoned Eddie Hayson to ask him about widespread rumours that he had been gambling thousands of dollars through Kieran Foran's TAB account.

The next day we were sitting at the back of a Grill'd burger joint in Bondi Junction and Hayson wanted to address the bigger, darker rumours about rugby league match-fixing and his alleged involvement.

"It's absolute bull****," Hayson said. "It doesn't matter what games they're talking about: match-fixing doesn't exist in rugby league, as far as I know. As for the two games they are talking about, I would be very surprised if I had put one dollar on either of those matches. I've been around betting my whole life, and I can tell you this is all bull****."

On Thursday the NSW organised crime squad revealed it was investigating match-fixing allegations concerning two NRL games from late last season: a round 16 match between South Sydney and Manly and a round 24 clash between Manly and Parramatta. The Sea Eagles lost both matches.

Hayson was right in the middle of it, with allegations he had paid six players $50,000 each in the Manly-Souths match. The police have said he is a person of interest, although he has not yet been contacted by the organised crime squad.

The dots are easy to join. Hayson is friends with Manly fullback Brett Stewart and his brother, Glenn, who played for Souths last year. He is also particularly close to Foran, who played for Manly in the two suspect matches before moving to Parramatta this season.

"There's no monkey business there," Hayson said. "Glenn was playing for Souths, so they're not on the same side … Because I owned a brothel, Stilleto, I am always going to be a good story. There's always implications and they [the media] will run with that until the last day of my life. I've known Kieran for a long time, like I've known a lot of the boys for a long time. Owning a brothel is like having a nightclub: you get to meet the good, the bad, the ugly. You have all walks of life coming through, doctors, lawyers and sometimes footballers."

Hayson also accuses a former associate of spreading lies against him.

"People can say all they want, but this is the figment of someone's imagination," Hayson said. "It's a bloke who wears a rug, we all call him 'Wiggy'. I know who it is. He's been making stuff up for six months. When he's got it in for you he's got it in for you. It's been going on for eight to 10 weeks. Chinese whispers with my name everywhere.

"It's disgusting, but I am used to it. I get the blame for everything. But I'm not worried about me. I've been friendly with the footballers for a long time, and I don't like then being dragged into the mess when they're fighting for their careers."

But while we've got you, Eddie, let's address some of the mess.

On Thursday, as news linking Hayson to the match-fixing investigation was surfacing, I specifically asked him to address the various claims being levelled against him.

Did he have a bet on either game?

"I'm telling you I never had a bet on the Manly-Parramatta game," he insisted. "No bowlers [someone betting on another person's behalf], no commission agents, not one person bet a single dollar on my behalf."

I ask him about claims he and a former jockey had invested $120,000 on the Manly-Souths game.

"I will check. If I did, it was nothing substantial. There is no rort."

Hayson was still checking his records to see if he had placed that amount on the Manly-Souths fixture. For someone who has made bets of this size his whole life, he says it's not a substantial wager.

"And I had $100,000 on a game, big deal," Hayson said. "What's $90,000 going to do? If there was a match fix on, what would that do?"

There are reports that Hayson had $500,000 on the Manly-Souths match. Another report claims he had $700,000.

"I am denying that, absolutely," he said.

Various corporate bookmakers have reported there were no suspicious betting movements on either of the suspect matches.

"If I had one bet of $500,000, everyone would know," Hayson said. "All this talk that it could've been with an SP bookmaker or whatever ... They're dreaming. If someone can find me one SP who will take a bet of more than $20,000, please let me know. If it went to an SP, they would filter it to all the corporates. Go and get the name of an SP bookmaker who's going to take a decent bet. I haven't heard of one for 10 years. There's the TAB and six or seven corporates."

Hayson also denies that he had paid six players $50,000 each to fix one of the matches.

"I heard that one the other day, too," he said. "That I paid five Manly players and one from Souths. Why would I pay someone $50,000 to win a game? If $300,000 went to the players, you need to get $800,000 on. If that happens, everybody knows. We all know when there's a sting, because the bookies are the first to blow up and complain and demand an immediate investigation. We are now nearly a year on."

Until I phoned Hayson 10 days ago, I had never spoken to him, but his reputation, of course, precedes him: the flamboyant punter and former owner of Stilleto, the upmarket Camperdown brothel often frequented by footballers.

His relationship with high-profile sportspeople has often created suspicion in the world of footy.

"It's always been happening, all the way back to the 'Joey' Johns days," he said, referring to retired Knights star Andrew Johns. "Poor old 'Joey' didn't do anything wrong in his entire life. I just knew before most people if he was playing or not. That's all. We would find out if he was playing before the bookies. He was either in or out. That's good information. What's wrong with that?"

Please link to articles and don't post them directly

2:40 We are a Community Based Organization @:mad:

I choked on the cornflakes when I heard this and had to replay it just in case I imagined it.

The sustained, relentless ridicule and outright attacks on the Football Club are all from the majority Owners.
Now that the shyte has hit the fan, they acknowledge the community asset that they have hijacked since gaining control:cool:

The 70 year history belongs to the community organization that is the Manly Warringah District Rugby Football Club.

The Life Membership of the players who have built this Club, has now been replaced by the contrived Franchise Life Membership, according to the Owners :mad:

It was good to have the CEO take the initiative to front the Media.
But his delivery was disappointing and lacked conviction that Manly run a tight ship.
Huge oversight in not addressing the 13,000 paying Members, of Manly's concern for our support :wondering:

Club great shattered by explosive match fixing allegations at Manly Sea Eagles
June 3, 2016 4:25pm
Andrew Prentice and Jon Geddes - Manly Daily
44962b0c6b6d3d30e245ca0049798b56

Coach Ron Willey (suit) and captain Fred Jones (no jersey) after winning the 1972 grand final at the SCG in Sydney.

TWO-time Manly premiership-winning captain and club legend Fred Jones says any players found guilty of match-fixing should be named and shamed.

Jones, the tough-as-nails hooker who guided the Sea Eagles to titles in 1972 and 1973, feels tanking is the lowest act a professional sportsman can do.

“I can’t understand how someone could stoop so low in a team environment,” he told the Manly Daily.

“The current accusations are a slur on the club’s character. If proven to be true, with concrete evidence, they all need to go for life.”

When asked if the players reportedly under investigation are found guilty should be named and shamed, Jones said: “Absolutely”.

A former first-grader from the club, who asked not to be named, pointed to the damaging of the Manly brand.
v1

“If the NSW Organised Crime Squad are looking into the matter, it is obviously serious,” he said.

“Those blokes don’t mess around.”

Yesterday the Sea Eagles fired back at allegations involving the club.

In a statement they revealed they had had no contact from the NSW Police or NSW Organised Crime Squad with respect to alleged match-fixing in two NRL games last season.

And they will continue to support their players 100 per cent and give them the presumption of innocence.

The strong words follow revelations detectives from the NSW Organised Crime Squad are investigating two Manly losses to Parramatta and South Sydney last season.

“We will continue to support our players 100 per cent and give them the presumption of innocence – particularly against unfair main-stream and social media innuendo,” Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn and chief executive Joe Kelly said.

They said the club fully supported the strong stance by NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg that any player found guilty of match-fixing be banned for life.

The club “emphatically” stated that it valued the integrity of rugby league above all else and would ensure full co-operation was provided to any investigation.

“It is bitterly disappointed the club’s hard-earned, 70-year reputation for fair play has been unfairly tarnished by imputations raised by some media outlets involving two Sea Eagles matches last season, albeit there is presently no formal investigation,” the statement said.

Coach Trent Barrett told his players to ignore the furore.

“They are professionals and we have a job to do.

“Where we sit on the competition table, this is an extremely important game. It is not ideal; we’d rather it not be around the whole game.

“But the one thing we can control is to block it out, stick together and win for the Manly football club.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...s/news-story/9fbee161ab3ac436810a6f785a4a05a4

Piece by piece the media will try and dismantle this club, they've been wanting to do it for years.

Expect a continued avalanche of bull**** stories this weekend, but if nothing firmer comes up and just like most news cycles things will slow down a bit UNTIL players are named, and then watch them tear at us like rabbid dogs.

Going to be a very difficult time to run a football club, sponsors could jump ship, membership could tumble and it will be interesting if this galvanises fans to attend games or the reverse.

You have got to love the Australian underworld, only here would you be enthralled with the exploits of characters with names like "Wiggy".

If none of this match fixing is true,then no one at the club has anything to hide or worry about.So why is there such a black cloud hanging over the club,other than the pathetic performance.One suspects where there's smoke there's fire

For those that get the pay wall - Google news search the headline below

NRL match fixing scandal is Todd greenbergs worst nightmare and the government needs to step up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4