Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
As a long time Manly supporter of 60 odd years, I hate seeing what is happening to the club, I now live in Thailand so getting the latest happenings is not always possible. I dont see Siebold as a first grade coach after his last unsuccessful stint, Im biased towards Steve Hales as I share the same last name and the Hales name has connections to the area when Alan Hales(now deceased) had a bike shop in the area. Hope to see a more united team next year with no more stupid promotions.

Im biased towards Steve Hales as I share the same last name and the Hales name has connections to the area when Alan Hales(now deceased) had a bike shop in the area.
1665019904890.png

Maybe we'd be better off with Gilligan?
Just kidding. And welcome aboard ThaiEagle

Be careful what you wish for with changes of owners. Yes Penn has been far from ideal but you can always get stuck with some number cruncher who will sell even more games to Homebush or Outer Mongolia for a quick buck at the expense of our real home games. It's been anything but ideal BUT it can get far worse. There isn't a truckload of multi millionaires around happy to invest in a non money making football team.

Not sure it's realistic to hope for new owners.

The place has been a basket case since 2015...believe what u like feathered friend, but he ain't the man to take us forward....IMO
Now that is a great point... this club was and is a basket case since before 2015 with all the infighting. Penn was part of the revolution to own Manly outright and those years before 2015 resulted in ongoing fighting between Max and Penn.... that lasted a number of years. Since 2015 we have been a basket case with 100 CEO's... Barrett, Toovey sacked, Penn fighting with Des.... Des has lead us deep into the finals in 2019 AND 2021... 20 AND 22 coincided with Turbo being out! Now lets just assess who is the common denominator with us being a basket case with the infighting... PENN! Hired and lost the following - Kelly, Cleary, Gorman, Perry (signed by Max and Penn), Humphreys, Toovey (endorsed by Max and Penn initially when signed given they were the owners when he signed on), Barrett. What an effing fiasco under this moron!

I think one thing we all hope for out of this week (@Mark from Brisbane #THISweek) haha, is some certainty and direction EITHER way - Des, his assistants, a new coach - whatever - but the members, fans, recruiters, everyone at the club need some stability and certainty now, for everyone's sakes.
I agree

Certainity also of the club's plan to get us out of this mess.

it’s embarrassing right now being a manly supporter and I hate it.

Also - FWIW:

I would be happy with a change here. Something HAS to change. The owner is the owner - unless you have the $$$ to buy the club, we will not see a change. So we are stuck with him (which for me, isn't ideal, but isn't the end of the world)

Des is clearly past it. Still good? yes. Still a legend of our club? yes. But a future premiership winning coach or state of the art tactician? .... No.

So either;
1. bring in a successor to be his assistant and transation at end of next year
or
2. make him DoF and have a new head coach
or
3. move him on 100%

I like the idea of Siebold. Coaches go through ups and downs..... hes currently working under a leading international rugby coach and expanding his repetoire. He's got experience and success. He's worked for manly and knows our big players. FFS - we all say we want Manly Men - there are only 3 out there with big time experience: Cleary, Siebold and Arthur. And I can't see us getting the other two!

Worse than the years after the failed merger?
Worse than the year we finished second last only to south’s?
Again I am not saying we are going to win the comp but if you put turbo in that team we make the 8 which is about the best we can hope to achieve with the current ownership structure
Without doubt the worst year in our history, when you consider we have a seasoned premiership-winning coach, captain, and halfback, the world's best brother pairing, and a few more internationals and premiership winners.

The years after the failed merger were a necessary re-building after the near removal of our club, and we were very lucky to come out of that. But it didn't take long. The club atm is in a perpetual neverland, with no more fight left in the joint (except with each other). Financially, culturally, and performance on all levels undoubtedly at an all time low.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8