Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
Factions.jpg

Don’t they still do that at the end of every season, and any members are invited to attend and ask questions ?

For me, I don’t need all the other fluff pieces etc and feel like I need to know the inner workings, I’m sure Trent Robinson doesn’t send out all their strategies going on at the club to their members either

Personally I feel the modern day fan is subjected to more and more media tabloid stuff that can slant views massively with whatever agenda they want to run, look at Ricky Stuart, he avoids any scrutiny to the level we are receiving at the moment, because his best mate runs the cutter for him on 3 times a week on his TV show

The modern day fans are more likely to throw their toys out of the cot whenever things aren’t going their way as well, you should see what the All Blacks coach is copping over here at the moment !

We fans do contribute to the financial upkeep of the club so we are minor shareholders and deserve some solid and inspirational vision for the future, not puff pieces from players.
The NRL might think they are doing a great job by insisting every club must nominate three players from each club to give weekly media interviews, but if others are like me I rarely listen to them. They tell me nothing. It's not the player's fault; they are expected to divulge as little factual information as possible. It's just dross.
I'm hoping our new CEO will deliver an uplifting address to we members at some stage soon which will give us some hope that the club is not the basket case it appears to be. They need to or else a member such as me (60-years supporter) will not sign up for another year of mediocracy.

If they don't add value to the club then get rid of them. And this goes for everyone

P.S. the scouting was done by Bob Fulton. If you look at what players were scouted and when they were scouted it miraculously went from nearly 100% Bob to 100% Scott Fulton as soon as Bob had to step away from the club.

If it truely is a results based business and Dessie is accountable here are the Fultons 2022 results:
Pathways Results 2022
Harold Matts - finished 9th out of 15 (missed semis)
SG Ball - finished 8th out of 15(missed the semis)
Jersey Flegg - finished 10th out of 12(missed semis)
NSW Cup - 12th out of 12 (wooden spoon)

Think in comparison with most other clubs and with a limited junior nursey . Manly recruiting has been very effective the past 3 or 4 seasons in the junior or emerging player department . That Lampkin guy [ junior coach ] can tale some credit in acquiring some good junior talent , probably in conjunction with the Fultons but has also been a steady stream of good talent acquired after that period of 2017 or so . Garrick Schuster , Koula , Saab , Weekes and lower grades still doing well in general . Haumole and Manise Fainu i Paseka and even Keppie good additions in that Lampkin period . Harper , Tui and Davey, Lawton , Veaga , Bullemor have had their moments , even Sipley . Alioia when he is fit , can be up there with the better props . And again having to contend with 3 mil having to be allocated to 3 high profile players . Again , really can not see a problem with the caliber of junior or general recruiting in recent seasons . That side or function of the club is going quite well whether it primarily revolves around the Fulton influence or associated personal .

Any YART without DCE I can't take seriously. He recently signed an extension so he is going no where. Interviewed by Wierdler (with Turbo front and centre) and said he still had the players support and a lot to offer as captain. Whether you agree with this or not he will start 2023 as half and captain.
As long as that is the case Manly will never make another GF. Contracts are made to be broken if both parties agree to terms.

No , in all honesty this is what could happen.

New coach
New Captains
Half back remains ( no one will want him at 1.2 million a year )
Obviously we would pick up a chunk of it, and still be better off. E.g. Bennett's Dolphins would be very happy to give a 3×year $800k contract for the captain of qld in their inaugural seasons. We would foot the remaining $400k for 23 only. With the extra $800k we could say bring back Cust, as well as a hard arse English forward with him. Cust and Schu very successful partnership previously, Cust on the rise and would unleash Gaucs potential as they also were very successful together. Humphreys would be Cust's understudy/back up. And Latu would be the same for Schu. Plus from 2024 we would have an additional $400k. Not to mention the well respected Turbo brothers assuming captaincy and establishing proper leadership, something we haven't had since Killer retired

Last edited:
If it truely is a results based business and Dessie is accountable here are the Fultons 2022 results:
Pathways Results 2022
Wasn 't aware of those lower grade outcome for 2022 , excluding Black Town . Still in not a bad place with junior talent and a still quite reasonable junior path ways system and where ever the players are sourced from

Pathways Results 2022
Won Matthews last year and finished second in SG Ball before falling a game short of the GF. Plenty of talent through the grades.

A lot of those kids have been mismanaged this year bouncing between Flegg and NSW cup or missing out all together in the NRL extended squad.

One of my big gripes this year.

Bring reserve grade but under the Manly umbrella and make it a true reserve grade. If Tuitavake, Weekes, Latu, Humphries, Gordie atc are our next best options play em in reserve grade and play them every single week. Let them build confidence, fitness, combinations and develop as a squad

We fans do contribute to the financial upkeep of the club so we are minor shareholders and deserve some solid and inspirational vision for the future, not puff pieces from players.
The NRL might think they are doing a great job by insisting every club must nominate three players from each club to give weekly media interviews, but if others are like me I rarely listen to them. They tell me nothing. It's not the player's fault; they are expected to divulge as little factual information as possible. It's just dross.
I'm hoping our new CEO will deliver an uplifting address to we members at some stage soon which will give us some hope that the club is not the basket case it appears to be. They need to or else a member such as me (60-years supporter) will not sign up for another year of mediocracy.

That's where I'm at and I think a lot of other people as well.

Here’s a couple for you in the reasonable price range.

St Hallets “ Faith “ Shiraz

Under $20 , excellent wine

If you want to lash out their “ Old Block Shiraz” is sensational , around $70 a bottle.

Also Jacobs Creek ( don’t laugh )

It’s called their “ Reserve “ , it has a greenish label and mentions “ aged in whiskey barrels “, you can go the Shiraz or the Cab Sav , both excellent , around $23.

Budget line , look for Grant Burge “ Ink Shiraz “ you can get it for about $15 at BWS maybe $17, but for the money it’s very good.
Thanks Mark I like your style. Shiraz guy!. I'll try some of these.

I'll send through some of my recommendations back to you later today. As we know its off-topic, but the way Manly are going its the best place to be.

NYEagle

Obviously we would pick up a chunk of it, and still be better off. E.g. Bennett's Dolphins would be very happy to give a 3×year $800k contract for the captain of qld in their inaugural seasons. We would foot the remaining $400k for 23 only. With the extra $800k we could say bring back Cust, as well as a hard arse English forward with him. Cust and Schu very successful partnership previously, Cust on the rise and would unleash Gaucs potential as they also were very successful together. Humphreys would be Cust's understudy/back up. And Latu would be the same for Schu. Plus from 2024 we would have an additional $400k. Not to mention the well respected Turbo brothers assuming captaincy and establishing proper leadership, something we haven't had since Killer retired
It won’t happen but yes thst could work.

So now we're hearing that there won't be the personnel changes proposed by the CEO, that Des will be given next season and won't be interfered with in player choices, that all is sweet with the playing group. So in other words the new CEO has been shut down already and more of the same sh*t next year when we're 0 and 5 after Rd 5.

I think the club gets a pass mark on fan engagement BUT could do so much better.

We do get an “ injury update “ these days so that’s an improvement.

Members get the team lists emailed to them , that never used to happen.

We have access to a fair number of interviews ( fluff pieces usually ) , that never used to happen.

And there certainly are members days at Brookvale , and in Brisbane ( at cost ).

There’s no way any club shares game plans , or an email from the coach as to what they are doing to fix issues so no amount of whinging will see that happen.

One area they fall down on badly is signings / movements / transfers , the last major signing announcement was Marty Tapau SEVEN years ago.

Since then I don’t think they’ve even bothered updating the fans , often the only way we know is through social media sources such as Twitter.

I would expect , and will be very very dissatisfied if it doesn’t happen , to get a letter from Mestrov once all this **** settles down BUT he’s up to his armpits in crap at present so as long as that happens by Christmas I’ll be satisfied.

But unlike others , it’s a pass for me not a fail.

Just reading thru the countless stories that have been rewritten about the club, des and the players this week there seems to be new faction so to speak.

Now when all these leaks came out of the club we all thought of the usual suspects eg Zorba, bulldog ritchie, buzz and Hadley. But it has become apparent to me that the a large amount of the are leaks maybe coming from one player manager who has several players from western Sydney at our club on his books.

To spell it out the same manager manages most of the god squad 7 who are tight with Steve Hales. The same manager leaked to the Mole (tony adams) that he told his player not to complete the survey.
Now today the mole is saying that Hales could be the front runner to replace Des..... gimme a break please. How was his record at blacktown. Just because a bloke is a good schoolboys or junior coach doesn't mean he will cut it at NRL level eg Peter Sharp and Garth Brennan

The same manager who since manly brought Foz back in 2021 was leaking to the media that schuster was promised the 6 jumper and wasn't happy.

I think the club is in dangerous ground here with one, we have seen how other clubs like the broncos have had a majority of players signed to one manager and it's caused dramas.

If you want to know the managers name google Crown Sports

Here’s a couple for you in the reasonable price range.

St Hallets “ Faith “ Shiraz

Under $20 , excellent wine

If you want to lash out their “ Old Block Shiraz” is sensational , around $70 a bottle.

Also Jacobs Creek ( don’t laugh )

It’s called their “ Reserve “ , it has a greenish label and mentions “ aged in whiskey barrels “, you can go the Shiraz or the Cab Sav , both excellent , around $23.

Budget line , look for Grant Burge “ Ink Shiraz “ you can get it for about $15 at BWS maybe $17, but for the money it’s very good.
You have very good taste Mark ! I agree especially on the Jacobs Creek, it's a cracking wine that tastes like it has been aged.

That's where I'm at and I think a lot of other people as well.
Same mate….I’m seriously debating if I should renew my membership next year. It’s been a depressing year to be honest. Seems the players have zero motivation & I’m the same. I hope something positive comes out of tomorrow’s meetings!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8