Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
Ritchie will report it as soon as Zorba says the word.
Its happened....

For the first time, Manly’s front office has revealed the club cannot guarantee Des Hasler will remain head coach next season.
Despite having a contact for 2023, Manly is issuing emails to members stating the club “cannot confirm” Hasler will remain in charge next year.

The Daily Telegraph has secured a sequence of emails between fans and the club which cast considerable doubt over Hasler’s immediate future at Brookvale.

A Manly board meeting, scheduled for early next week, is expected to finalise the club’s position on Hasler.

A lifelong Manly fan, Cam Smith, told the club he will cancel his membership if coach Des Hasler is forced out of Brookvale – and reckons another 1000 fans with follow.

Smith emailed Manly asking that his “repayments do not commence until it’s confirmed Des Hasler is remaining as coach for 2023 as I plan on not renewing my membership if Des is moved on or resigns as coach.”

It read: “As we cannot confirm this I am happy to remove you from the automatic rollover until the situation is confirmed. Looking forward to hearing from you.”

Other Manly members received the same email, expressing equal surprise.

There appears an increasingly likelihood that Hasler, who has a contract for next season, won’t be re-signed for 2024.

Manly kick-started their membership drive for 2023 last week but were met with some early resistance.

A fan revolt seems to be growing on Sydney’s northern beaches over Hasler’s future.

“The club sent out an email regarding next year’s membership. I’ve been a member since 2002. I know I’m not the only one planning on doing this if Des is sacked or forced out,” Smith said.

“Why is there such an urgent need for a succession plan when Hasler - who is in his early 60s - still has a lot to offer? I think easily up to 1000 members won’t renewing if Des is moved on.

Management’s treatment of Des is totally disrespectful. Before the (pride) jersey drama, and without our best player (injured Tom Trbojevic), we were tracking towards the top eight.

“With the exception of Penrith every other side in the top eight would struggle without their best player.

“After getting email back from the club, I think Des is gone and that makes me very sad. I don’t flip-slop. I have supported Manly for 40-odd years. But I would think about changing teams. That would be unthinkable for me.

“I actually have a Manly tattoo on my shoulder. They have been a big part of my life.”

Anthony Seibold and Josh Hannay are two front-runners for the top job with Shane Flanagan also being mentioned.

Long-time Manly fan Peter Khoury took to social media to post: “Emailing members asking us to renew for 2023 on the same day the club leaks ‘we’re looking at Anthony Seibold or Shane Flanagan to replace Des.’ Pure sadism.”
Management’s treatment of Des is totally disrespectful. Before the (pride) jersey drama, and without our best player (injured Tom Trbojevic), we were tracking towards the top eight.

“With the exception of Penrith every other side in the top eight would struggle without their best player.

“After getting email back from the club, I think Des is gone and that makes me very sad. I don’t flip-slop. I have supported Manly for 40-odd years. But I would think about changing teams. That would be unthinkable for me.

“I actually have a Manly tattoo on my shoulder. They have been a big part of my life.”

Anthony Seibold and Josh Hannay are two front-runners for the top job with Shane Flanagan also being mentioned.

Long-time Manly fan Peter Khoury took to social media to post: “Emailing members asking us to renew for 2023 on the same day the club leaks ‘we’re looking at Anthony Seibold or Shane Flanagan to replace Des.’ Pure sadism.”

Other Manly fans took to social media in support of Hasler.

One wrote: “Des is the only coach that can help Manly be in the top eight. He is a great coach who cares for his players.”

And another posted: “Manly collapsing this year was not Des’ fault.”

Manly chairman and co-owner Scott Penn said his club continued to deliberate over Hasler’s future.

“The reality is we need to make some changes (to football department) and we are going through a process with Des. We are looking for a clear succession plan,” Penn said.

“We’ve had a couple of meetings and there will be more to come. The process is still moving. We have been pretty clear what we’re looking for. He is on contract for 2023.”

Asked whether Hasler would be offered an extension for 2024, Penn said: “That’s too early to call.”

Our coach seems to think he owns the club and should be entitled to do run the joint from admin, coaching and recruiting. We should be moving on from this ****.

I copped heaps of flak from other posters when I posted negative stuff about him and not wanting him back (which is fine). I love this club and was hoping to be proved wrong. That didn't happen so here we are again. Ground hog day when every off-season turns into a ****-fight and a media circus.

I'm not sold on Siebold and would prefer Flanagan, but can we finally get some stability at the club whoever the coach is!

I would give Ginger more than just the Manly Licence If you know what I mean feathered friend ;)

See the source image
She is now 88 my feathered friend... looks like she is still turning heads in the nursing homes.

Tina-Louise_reupload_Getty_.jpg

Its happened....

For the first time, Manly’s front office has revealed the club cannot guarantee Des Hasler will remain head coach next season.
Despite having a contact for 2023, Manly is issuing emails to members stating the club “cannot confirm” Hasler will remain in charge next year.

The Daily Telegraph has secured a sequence of emails between fans and the club which cast considerable doubt over Hasler’s immediate future at Brookvale.

A Manly board meeting, scheduled for early next week, is expected to finalise the club’s position on Hasler.

A lifelong Manly fan, Cam Smith, told the club he will cancel his membership if coach Des Hasler is forced out of Brookvale – and reckons another 1000 fans with follow.

Smith emailed Manly asking that his “repayments do not commence until it’s confirmed Des Hasler is remaining as coach for 2023 as I plan on not renewing my membership if Des is moved on or resigns as coach.”

It read: “As we cannot confirm this I am happy to remove you from the automatic rollover until the situation is confirmed. Looking forward to hearing from you.”

Other Manly members received the same email, expressing equal surprise.

There appears an increasingly likelihood that Hasler, who has a contract for next season, won’t be re-signed for 2024.

Manly kick-started their membership drive for 2023 last week but were met with some early resistance.

A fan revolt seems to be growing on Sydney’s northern beaches over Hasler’s future.

“The club sent out an email regarding next year’s membership. I’ve been a member since 2002. I know I’m not the only one planning on doing this if Des is sacked or forced out,” Smith said.

“Why is there such an urgent need for a succession plan when Hasler - who is in his early 60s - still has a lot to offer? I think easily up to 1000 members won’t renewing if Des is moved on.

Other Manly fans took to social media in support of Hasler.

One wrote: “Des is the only coach that can help Manly be in the top eight. He is a great coach who cares for his players.”

And another posted: “Manly collapsing this year was not Des’ fault.”

Manly chairman and co-owner Scott Penn said his club continued to deliberate over Hasler’s future.

“The reality is we need to make some changes (to football department) and we are going through a process with Des. We are looking for a clear succession plan,” Penn said.

“We’ve had a couple of meetings and there will be more to come. The process is still moving. We have been pretty clear what we’re looking for. He is on contract for 2023.”

Asked whether Hasler would be offered an extension for 2024, Penn said: “That’s too early to call.”

I haven't received any email about 'not confirming Des' - has anyone else?

Smith - 1000 members would follow he reckons (or 'with' follow as the article says)

But you'd probably find let's say 1001 people claiming they won't re-new if Des is kept as the coach. (Just so the DT can print a bigger number)

I guess I'm not surprised, journos have clocked off and it's easier to cut and paste facebook comments than dig for news.

Ah hyperbole, social media and D.T is thy name.

We will get our first wooden spoon under coach cbomb.
I haven't received any email about 'not confirming Des' - has anyone else?

Smith - 1000 members would follow he reckons (or 'with' follow as the article says)

But you'd probably find enough people saying if des is kept as coach they'll not re-new and like....oh let's say 1001 other members with them. - so the DT can post that.

I guess I'm not surprised, journos have clocked off and it's easier to cut and paste facebook comments than dig for news.

Ah hyperbole, social media and D.T is thy name.
Mate you probably need to get your facts straight before you want to talk crap.

Fyi the person quoted in this story posts here on silvertails and has long before you were here champ.

The email was a reply to an email sent asking not to automatically roll over easy eagle payments until it was confirmed that des was staying on for 2023.

I think "Cam Smith" wrote to the club upon receiving the membership email. The club* replied and wouldn't confirm Des would be coach.
* Warren from The Membership Team

We will get our first wooden spoon under coach cbomb.

Mate you probably need to get your facts straight before you want to talk crap.

Fyi the person quoted in this story posts here on silvertails and has long before you were here champ.

The email was a reply to an email sent asking not to automatically roll over easy eagle payments until it was confirmed that des was staying on for 2023.
And giving that email to the daily telegraph has probably caused a Manly intern to get fired.

Deleted original post.

Can't say that leaking club emails is particularly helpful to anyone, in fact it looks like complete amateur hour. Going to be an interesting 2 weeks, until some other club gets us out of the headlines of course.

Last edited:
This is the beginning of Dessie's 5th year .... that means

.. he has had 4 pre-seasons to get a fit team ....
.. he has 4 years with largely the same squad to coach, structure and shape ....
.. he has had 4 years to recruit and build the team he wants .
.. he has had 4 years to work on internal relationships and build team work ..

And the result going into his 5th year ... is we are rooted, the club is in the worst state I have seen in 60 years ... and winning some games next year is not going to fix or change things ...

Elmer Fudd and Daffy Duck would be an improvement ...
Exactly.

Just 12 months ago were were in a preliminary final 80 min from a GF.

2022 was horrible. Many reasons for it and Des was but just a small part of the problem.

Come 23 a lot of the doom sayers around here will be smiling and will have jumped ship once again.

Will save a spot for you woodsie.

This madness is embarrassing for all in the club

and we hope all this shame can lift our game in 2023
Well said cant take 2023 being like this year i may wlak away from thr game if we do the same craziness next year.

Also - FWIW:

I would be happy with a change here. Something HAS to change. The owner is the owner - unless you have the $$$ to buy the club, we will not see a change. So we are stuck with him (which for me, isn't ideal, but isn't the end of the world)

Des is clearly past it. Still good? yes. Still a legend of our club? yes. But a future premiership winning coach or state of the art tactician? .... No.

So either;
1. bring in a successor to be his assistant and transation at end of next year
or
2. make him DoF and have a new head coach
or
3. move him on 100%

I like the idea of Siebold. Coaches go through ups and downs..... hes currently working under a leading international rugby coach and expanding his repetoire. He's got experience and success. He's worked for manly and knows our big players. FFS - we all say we want Manly Men - there are only 3 out there with big time experience: Cleary, Siebold and Arthur. And I can't see us getting the other two!
Nothing will change in any meaningful way under the current club ownership- we will continue to be boom and bust at best

I've been supporting this club since 1972 and will continue to do it until I drop of the mortal coil whoever coaches. Barrett was a disaster, but my devotion to the club is greater than to any coach. If Des goes, and you feel so strongly about him that you'd support another club, then that's a bit sad for you.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10