Manly for sale mega rumours: Norths/Qatar/kapersky/etc

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
The Penns whine about putting 1mil in a year, then they are not the owners you want.
When and where have they ever whinged about doing that?
They have consistently not made any noise about their financial stake.
Not to mention it’s more than that but at least $1 million in losses.

We could have sounded out tinkler instead I guess

Those Arabs aren't going to run out of oil soon. Not in our lifetime anyway. I'm all for securing the long term sustainability of our club. + unlimited stream of TPAs.

eagle40

Reserve Grader
I don't get the sentiment on here that the Penns should be happy to put millions of dollars into the club. And never expect anything in return.
Agree, but buying into a Nrl club other than the Broncos, you will never see a return on your investment. The comment from Scott saying “we have come along way” just doesn’t make sense to me, outside of the Northern Eagles era, this Penn/Zorba regime has been nothing but one disaster after another.

Harvies elbow

I'm a country member....... " Yes we remember "
2017 Tipping Competitor
I can't see a reason why they would want to buy this club or any NRL club.
Just to play tests in the middle east just doesn't cut it for me.
There is not enough money in the game for them to get a return.
Dubious.

Moops

Bencher
Agree, but buying into a Nrl club other than the Broncos, you will never see a return on your investment. The comment from Scott saying “we have come along way” just doesn’t make sense to me, outside of the Northern Eagles era, this Penn/Zorba regime has been nothing but one disaster after another.

The club has come a long way.......south!

sheridanstand78

First Grader
This is an interesting development. If this is a true offer? or is it too good to be true? I wonder what the Penns make of it? All I hope is no matter who owns our club, that the owners start bringing the whole club together and end the dysfunction and dearth of leadership that has our club in the current mess we are in.

If this is true and the current owners sell, this could be very exciting times for our club, when you look at the investment at ****ty Man City, they were a nothing club in the EPL and now they are the richest in the league and they and I say this as a Man Utd fan, the envy of the league currently!

All I want to see is a cohesive club , united and fighting for the common cause, rather than fighting ourselves!!

Class of 96

Bencher
I don't get the sentiment on here that the Penns should be happy to put millions of dollars into the club. And never expect anything in return.

And that is what the paying members and general fans expect of the Penn’s. They want a return on the economic and emotional investment in the club, but the Penn’s are not delivering. Perhaps they need to be more careful with their throwaway ‘it’s a results driven business’ soundbytes.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member

Dubious.

I am sorry but the maths does not stack up anymore.

Considering the major cost for all clubs (player wages) is now covered by the NRL, combined with a soft cap on off the park expenses there is no reason why a well run club can not be profitable.

Lets look at the potential revenue streams
1. Sponsorship
2. Gate Revenue
3. Match Day Sales
4. Merch
5. Memberships

If the off park expenses are say 6 - 10m a well run club could come close to covering if not making a profit.

Also what clubs report as being in the "red" opposed to what the actual numbers are could be very different

Class of 96

Bencher
when you look at the investment at ****ty Man City, they were a nothing club in the EPL and now they are the richest in the league and they and I say this as a Man Utd fan, the envy of the league currently!

They used to be a club of great substance. Now a soulless club buying success followed by plastic fans that the moment they lose will switch back to being Chelsea fans for a year. That is the type of club I will never envy. No...I don’t want our game to tread that greedy path. The Bronco’s should be enough of a warning.

Wealthy organisations buy broken down organisations to mitigate tax outlay. They can subsidise losses through the weaker companies and still bathe in the limelight if the team is successful. Ie it promotes a perception of their personal power and brand status in the business world.
The personal ego is also fed by this process, therefore it is akin to purchasing notoriety.
Tinkler, Clive Palmer, Alan Bond....

Not too sure a company(s) in Qatar earning billions of dollars, and paying a corporate tax rate of 10%, is going to buy an Australian sporting team for $10 million to mitigate tax outlay.....

EaglesDontTweet

Bencher
Premium Member
Dubious.
I find it easy for us to underestimate the power of advertising and brand exposure. Look how everyone has now accepted the Lottoland sponsorship of Brookie in the media.

And other Middle East airlines have successful long term partnerships with Australian sports.......

etihad stadium1.JPG

emirates melbourne cup.JPG

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Although the Penns do own the club, it appears as though they still aren't spending enough cash on running the club.

For the head coach to be meeting with lawyers to get support to run the footy team tells me the cash isn't getting splashed around at all.
Baz has also said that our footy department is dwarfed when compared with the big boys.

If new ownership can even up the playing field with access to more funds to improve every part of the footy team - coaching staff, facilities etc etc then I'm all for it.

I think you’ll find the outlay on pies and sausage rolls to be quite substantial and detrimental to football costs

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16
13 7 6 -34 16