Manly dragged into Essendon mess

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
strone33 said:
I tell you, I have a really bad feeling about this, the media are all over May and I think they are all going to try and hang us somehow!

I remember at the time in 08 when the calls blood thing came up, I thought we had all the drug experts in and we were cleared.

That's true, we did and we were cleared of any wrong doing.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about:mad:

Year long investigation by the Crime Commission and now forwarded to the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) for investigation and action along with the AFP. I seriously hope we are clear, and if not - it has to be Hasler's fault :)

Ralphie said:
strone33 said:
I tell you, I have a really bad feeling about this, the media are all over May and I think they are all going to try and hang us somehow!

I remember at the time in 08 when the calls blood thing came up, I thought we had all the drug experts in and we were cleared.

That's true, we did and we were cleared of any wrong doing.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about:mad:

Man I had some typos in that lol

Hope your right, although that press conference
Sounded like they have got a fair few players from different clubs for doping and match fixing.... God I hope we are safe

1. This is a lot bigger than any one thought.
2. Des would have known what was going on because the way he ran the club.
3. The AFL are looking to remove Jobe Watsons Brownlow if it is confirmed - Be careful Matt Orford what you are saying because the NRL will not want to look weak on this situation.

Legal provisions prevent the ACC from publicly disclosing detailed information about the
nature of the matters contained in this report. This includes the disclosure of information
specifically referencing players, clubs and any information that could identify other
individuals involved. Particular sporting bodies have received classified briefings on
matters relevant to them.
As such, the report focuses on describing the broad nature of the activities, threats and
vulnerabilities and includes intelligence judgements about the likely future trajectory of
these issues.

what a rip!

full report is here for those inclined:

http://www.crimecommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/files/organised-crime-and-drugs-in-sports-feb2013.pdf

edit: Sheesh, look what happens when you put a pom in charge of the game!

hashtagjokeyapommytossers

Administration of untested substances to athletes
The ACC has identified a range of substances that have limited to no history of use
in humans, are not approved for human use, or their use is considered ‘off-label’.
Substances being administered to players include:

• Actovegin™—calf blood extract (used by a route of administration which is not prohibited by WADA).

globaleagle said:
Legal provisions prevent the ACC from publicly disclosing detailed information about the
nature of the matters contained in this report. This includes the disclosure of information
specifically referencing players, clubs and any information that could identify other
individuals involved. Particular sporting bodies have received classified briefings on
matters relevant to them.
As such, the report focuses on describing the broad nature of the activities, threats and
vulnerabilities and includes intelligence judgements about the likely future trajectory of
these issues.

what a rip!

full report is here for those inclined:

http://www.crimecommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/files/organised-crime-and-drugs-in-sports-feb2013.pdf

edit: Sheesh, look what happens when you put a pom in charge of the game!

hashtagjokeyapommytossers

Does not name names or clubs.

Ralphie said:
Administration of untested substances to athletes
The ACC has identified a range of substances that have limited to no history of use
in humans, are not approved for human use, or their use is considered ‘off-label’.
Substances being administered to players include:

• Actovegin™—calf blood extract (used by a route of administration which is not prohibited by WADA).

If its not illegal under WADA then I fail to see the issue?

Rambo1987 said:
1. This is a lot bigger than any one thought.
2. Des would have known what was going on because the way he ran the club.
3. The AFL are looking to remove Jobe Watsons Brownlow if it is confirmed - Be careful Matt Orford what you are saying because the NRL will not want to look weak on this situation.

Agree with your 1st point Rambo...it is massive for all codes and sports. From what i remember in 2008, the NRL cleared Manly of any wrongdoing regarding the calves blood situation. Watching the crime commisions press conference, I think the big deal is the match fixing. As fans, Im sure weve all thought many games have been fixed, and I wouldnt be surprised in the near future if the outcome previous games are named and proven.

How far back in time they are referring to who would know.

Widespread use of peptides has been identified, or is suspected by the ACC, in a number of professional sporting codes in Australia. Although the use of peptides appears to be more widespread in some major codes, individuals from a number of other sports are also suspected of using peptides.

Multiple players (in one code) from a number of clubs are suspected of currently using or having previously used peptides, which could constitute an anti-doping rule violation.

Some players have also been identified as sourcing peptides for personal use. An instance of team-based doping, orchestrated by some club officials and coaching staff, has also been identified.

Apart from the peptide’s anabolic effects, it has been found that injured elite athletes, particularly players from one sporting code, have been using peptides to assist in rehabilitating soft tissue injuries.

While the level of suspected use of peptides varies between sporting codes, officials from one club have been identified as administering, via injections and intravenous drips, a variety of substances, possibly including peptides. Moreover, the substances were administered at levels which were possibly in breach of WADA anti-doping rules.

This activity was orchestrated by some club officials and the club’s high performance unit.

The real concen here is how secretive Des Hasler was during his time at manly.
Things like not allowing access to certain areas of narrabeen training base and restricting access to the rooms post game.

I'm not questioning his integrity on this but it was common knowledge he was open to the use of cutting edge sports science whose to say somewhere he has copped some misleading advice that has put our club at risk.

This is another reason that proves a coach should never have the kind of power des had at manly ever again.

I take comfort from the fact our club has some very good people in the football department people like steve gigg and don singe.

silvertail said:
Settle Manly faithful pettles!

For the record:

Melbourne are officially cheating scum.

Ditto for Dogs.

Broncos salary cap investigation miraculously disappeared after a whistleblower decided to change their mind.

We are officially clean skins ATM and have been since 1947. Recognise that, enjoy that and the ultra-biased Daily Telegraph can smoke on my big one until proven otherwise.

From memory the Broncos one was tied in with a court case and they can't go on until its report comes out in a few years time

As long as there is concrete evidence and a full investigation, the book should most certainly be thrown at whoever is guilty of this. Be it Melbourne, Roosters, or even Manly, cheating is unacceptable.

How come the daily telegraphs crack squad of investigative journalists didn't expose this massive story? It seems pretty widespread and they want us to think they know NRL but I think they spend too much time trolling supporter forums and getting on the drink and then driving or just making stuff up because its easier

Doping agency's eye on calves' blood

Jacquelin Magnay and Brad Walter
July 5, 2008

The World Anti-Doping Agency has taken a close interest in revelations Manly Sea Eagles and other Australian sporting teams have been injecting calves' blood.

Spokesman Frederick Donze told the Herald his agency was closely monitoring the use of the calves' blood extract, also known as Actovegin. "We are aware of its use in some sports, possibly in conjunction with other substances…" he said.

The agency constantly updated its banned list, but gave no indication that Actovegin would be added any time soon.

While there have been cases of high-profile Australian athletes travelling to Germany for injections of the extract, it appears that Manly has been the first Australian team to source a local and reliable supply of the controversial substance.

Spanish cyclist Jesus Manzano, who spilled the beans on his drug-taking during the Tour de France, admitted combining an animal product, Oxyglobin, with the steroid nandrolone and Actovegin.

Donze said Actovegin had been thoroughly laboratory tested and there was no evidence that the product contained blood cells susceptible to increase oxygen transport. He said the laboratories could also find no evidence of growth hormone or prohibited hormones in the product.

But the added international scrutiny has put extra pressure on the NRL to ensure Manly are not inadvertently breaking agency rules.

Under its code, injecting Actovegin into veins is illegal and would result in a two-year ban.

However, it is not illegal to inject the substance into muscles.

Manly insiders claim they have been using Actovegin in soft tissue - hamstrings, Achilles tendons and groins - to hasten recovery, and that all substances are checked with the agency's code to ensure legality.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said Manly was within its rights to use the product.

"We rely on WADA for clear direction on these types of substances and certainly, if they were to change their current view, then that would be the end of it," Gallop said.

Actovegin's main ingredient comes from calves aged under six months and is sourced from Australia, as the country is free of mad cow disease.

Medically, it is used to stimulate circulation in the brain and help treat other neurological disturbances, as well as skin grafts and burns.

Manly players say they use Actovegin only to treat injuries, mainly hamstring or groin problems, and it is injected into the muscle - not intravenously.

The players are given the option of whether they want to use Actovegin to help their recovery but most seem to believe it is beneficial to the treatment of soft-tissue injuries. It has also been suggested that another benefit is that it combats fatigue.

At least one player at a rival club is thought to have inquired about Actovegin after being sidelined by an injury this season. But none of the 10 clubs surveyed by the Herald this week said their players had used it.

However, St George Illawarra and the Sydney Roosters admitted they had considered using Actovegin but were yet to be convinced of its benefits. The Broncos have also looked into using the substance.

"It is one of those things that has been investigated in the past but a lot of the research that I personally have seen isn't conclusive into the benefits of it," Brisbane performance director Jeremy Hickman told ABC radio's The World Today program. "It is obviously something we do keep in mind but not something we use at present.

"You are always looking for that edge but, you know, I think you have got to make sure you get all the basics right first, and any edge you are looking for is proven and has got a good amount of research behind it."

The Herald understands a number of AFL clubs use Actovegin to treat injuries.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/doping-agencys-eye-on-calves-blood/2008/07/04/1214951041583.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

manlyfan76 said:
How come the daily telegraphs crack squad of investigative journalists didn't expose this massive story? It seems pretty widespread and they want us to think they know NRL but I think they spend too much time trolling supporter forums and getting on the drink and then driving or just making stuff up because its easier
yeah,they were to busy trying to dig dirt up on us all the time,and the big story just walked right past them and out the front door

matthew johns is saying the next 48 hours will be the biggest news for league fans ever!
talking about large groups of players being banned from certain clubs?
i'll do my 'nana if manly are involved after all the talk back in 2008 that we did nothing wrong!

The NRL has announced an Integrity Unit
http://www.nrl.com/nrl-announces-integrity-unit/tabid/10874/newsid/70697/default.aspx
I think that is like the Army Intelligence oxymoron. However, the Galloping Goose has moved on so they get the benefit of the doubt. Not surprised that the two biggest scandals in the history of the game were missed under Gallop's leadership.

Brookie said:
matthew jons is saying the next 48 hours will be the biggest new for league fans ever!
talking about large groups of players being banned fro certain clubs?
i'll do my 'nana if manly are involved afet all the talk back in 2008 that we did nothing wrong!

In saying that it'll be ****ing hilarious if it included the 'big 3'

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8