Manly 2023 - Pass or Fail?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
On the theory I didn't ever expect to make the finals, and thought we could be wooden spooners, I guess it's a pass.

I wouldn't expect any better next year, probably a bottom 4 finish because most of those teams below us will improve,

Maybe it's an expected fail rather than a pass.

It's a clear fail. 2nd time in 20 years where we've gone 2 years in a row no finals. If it's 3 years in a row and another year of Turboless then it's goodbye Seibold and Turbo.

People complaining about those complaining.....then complaining about those who are complaining about those complaining.....now I'm complaining about those who are complaining about the complaining of those who are complaining.

Sheesh bring on 2pm Sunday 😂😂

As for season 23.

I think at the start of the season I predicted 7-12th (I may have said top top 4 a reach if all stars aligned ie Turbo 21 year, Schuster settles at 5/8 etc) and looks like we will be at the lower end of that so obviously a fail but not a abomination IMO.

We were way too inconsistent, the Schuster conundrum wasnt solved and our work in the ruck and line speed were constant sources of frustration.

I disagree with the assertation that no players stepped forward under Siebold this year. I think Paseka had a career year. Saab had shown improvement in his overall game. DCE has had his best year in a few, Bully improved in a midfle role off the bench and Olakau'atu continues to move forward.

That said recruitment was a concern with players like Tuilagi and Condon offering little above zero and some question marks on 2024 recruits.

So....fail but no pitchforks at my end.

That said, whilst Seibold gets grace from me this year the spotlight is firmly on him next year. Sink or swim!!

WOKE is settling in, how can anyone be happy with this year is beyond me, from the coach to recruitment to tHE owner WOW. CALL it what it i? No crime in asking for a better effort, look at Schuster against warriors what a disgrace. $800k for that. All is dandy Not. Maybe cash in schu and Jake for better forwards who can bust a tackle.
I would get rid of at least 6 and Seibold and focus on the juniors coming thru. Get the cap right first.

Very good question and hard to answer 100% black and white, but I'll do my best.....
It's a Massive Fail in what I expected going into the season, expected with a mix of our BIG name players and young players coming through combined with many who I felt showed much personal growth in 2022, I anticipated a TOP 4 finish, with a TOP 8 almost a certainty.
Then from the reality angle of how things panned out in 2023, we have had so many "KEY" injuries again.....and if we take out "KEY" players from ANY team (except Penrith who have ridiculous depth), most would fall well short of what was expected before a ball was kicked.
I will add feel far more confident in the ''New signings for 2024" than what we added this year and a MASSIVE in, will be Gordie who will debut off the bench this weekend....we so badly need more fire and thrust out of dummy half and before ppl think I'm bagging Croker, that's fine but I'm not, he is a tough little hombre who can tackle, but to match better teams, that's not enough.
The inclusion of Brooks will prove a Masterstroke.

Also started the season with a bit of concern in the 6 and 13 positions and has unfortunately finished with the same shortcomings
Jake is still largely the cornerstone of the side "s defensive resolve and a huge part of the side with his presence but nothing changed with some of his limitations at 13 in attack.
Then the trials and tribulations of trying to have a consistent and sufficiently capable 6 for the year and not much resolved there and to the detriment of the side
Brooks , every chance of addressing the problem area at 6 though still some reservations with his overall defensive ability .
Still the issue at 13 , again tried Alioia , Keppie , Woods there apart from Jake , . Zac Fulton surprisingly did not go to another level , Matterson still seems like good value but looks like not entirely in the coach"s eyes or estimation
Just have to wait and see i guess

We'll end up on 9 wins in 24 games (and winning just 4 of our last 17). That'll be 9 wins in 31 games since jersey gate (20 something percent).

Take that as you will, I don't want to be negative, so I'll just say it's fantastic. There's positive signs, we are trending in the right direction, and everything is fantastic.

Big pass from me. Siebold and Mestrov are right, Premiership team, and our premiership window is wide open. SO open many fans are thinking of jumping out.

We'll end up on 9 wins in 24 games (and winning just 4 of our last 17). That'll be 9 wins in 31 games since jersey gate (20 something percent).

Take that as you will, I don't want to be negative, so I'll just say it's fantastic. There's positive signs, we are trending in the right direction, and everything is fantastic.

Big pass from me. Siebold and Mestrov are right, Premiership team, and our premiership window is wide open. SO open many fans are thinking of jumping out.
Mate, I can't help but feel you are creating your own narrative here.

Been a funky few days on Silvertails but I've not really seen a push for only positivity. In fact this thread is almost universally marking the season as a fail.

I get the point you are pushing but think its a bit of an overcorrection.

This is said with much love.

Mate, I can't help but feel you are creating your own narrative here.

Been a funky few days on Silvertails but I've not really seen a push for only positivity. In fact this thread is almost universally marking the season as a fail.

I get the point you are pushing but think its a bit of an overcorrection.

This is said with much love.
Unfortunately people can't win now. It's either they are negative so and so's, or they are being fake in the positivity. What's the expectation?

The stats I've shown there, justify negativity, so realism can't be a thing (don't want to be a disturber of the peace).

So negativity , realism and positivity will be frowned upon given the state of the team, I don't get what everyone wants?

Last edited:
Unfortunately people can't win now. It's either they are negative so and so's, or they are being fake in the positivity. What's the expectation?

The stats I've shown there, justify negativity, so realism can't be a thing (don't want to be a disturber of the peace).

So negativity , realism and positively will be frowned upon given the state of the team, I don't get what everyone wants?
My only advice (if welcomed). Is dont be too concerned with what people on an online forum think or want from you.

Provided you are not being aggressive, discrimatory etc etc, say your piece.

If people disagree with what being said or how its said, they will say their piece.

Lord knows I disagree with you a bunch, but thats half the fun of it all.

Simple as the IMO.

My only advice (if welcomed). Is dont be too concerned with what people on an online forum think or want from you.

Provided you are not being aggressive, discrimatory etc etc, say your piece.

If people disagree with what being said or how its said, they will say their piece.

Lord knows I disagree with you a bunch, but thats half the fun of it all.

Simple as the IMO.

Thanks mate.

It's just you're also not the one saying people's actions are taking away from your experience so much so that you'r being forced away?

Guilt is awful. Especially when you add a dose of empathy (whether I want to give it or not).

Best I just be quiet.

When people jump up and down and complain about the negative posts/posters in here... when people threaten to leave the forum because it's too dark, or too whatever... look at their actions and not their words. If people want to leave, just leave. What reason is there to come on here and trumpet your exit if that's what you genuinely feel and want to do? There is much more to such posts than the hollow words written.

Season is a fail, but there's mitigating circumstances given our injury toll yet again.

Next season is the bigger test though given Siebold gets some of his own signings to work with.

Definitely a fail for me, although perhaps an understandable one. And given that we'll finish pretty much exactly where I thought we would, it's certainly not unexpected. We've shown glimpses of skill and talent throughout the season, with some excellent individual and (to a lesser extent) team performances, but we're just not a smart, consistently good footy team and still have a lot of catching up to do.

If we lose our last two games, the grade will go from a plain old fail to a miserable fail for me. And I suspect we might lose our last two games. Now that we're no hope of playing finals footy, we have nothing to play for except pride (and we all know how well that worked out last season). The stack of injuries we're dealing with doesn't help, but even at full strength (minus Tommy, which is pretty much a given anyway), I think both the Bulldogs and the Tigers - despite their lowly positions on the ladder - have better rosters than we do.

Seibold deserves another year before we burn him at the stake, but as far as management goes, I'm not yet sold on Mestrov. I really, really don't like that we let two of our most promising juniors go to the Tigers. And I think the way we've handled Schuster this year - everything from re-signing him, to standing him down for fitness issues, to Mestrov's latest comments to the media - has been both amateurish and harmful to the kid's future career.

Bring on 2024.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8