Journey Man
We need Fainu back asap since he is part of our full strength team. We miss Fainu's dummy half running and offloading ability in tackles.

Yeah Fainu was/is an exciting young player ... at least, he was when we last saw him play. But TBH I don't think anyone has cause to complain about how Froggy is going as our #9 this year. And when you have in form play makers like Turbo, DCE and Foz, running from dummy half becomes less of a priority than just giving good clean service.

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
Can anyone read this article about Fainu pretty sure it will be saying his court case is delayed again

Wait goes on for Fainu and Manly

Nearly two years after he was first charged over the stabbing of a man outside a church dance, forgotten Manly hooker Manase Fainu was scheduled to go to trial next week.

Fainu has been stood down since the start of the 2020 season under the game’s no-fault stand-down policy but he still has a contract with the Sea Eagles for this season and next.

There was every chance had he been successful in court, he would have returned for Manly for the run in to the finals. What a boost that would have been. Fainu was fast becoming one of the game’s best hookers before falling foul of the law.

He has continued training with the Manly squad and been around the side on game day. However, he didn’t travel to Queensland when the competition relocated because he was preparing for his date in court.

Instead, his career is again in limbo after his case was deferred.

“This latest delay only adds even more stress and anxiety for Manase,” Manly chief executive Steve Humphreys said.

“His football career but more importantly his whole life has been on hold for the better part of two years now. Thankfully he continues to receive great support from his loving and close knit family as well as his teammates and the club.”

His unavailability comes as the Sea Eagles prepare to welcome back Curtis Sironen from long-term injury.

Sironen is off contract at season’s end and in his absence, Josh Schuster andHaumole Olakau’atu have become fixtures in the back row.

Sironen may struggle to force his way back into the picture

Bencher
Premium Member
Good to see these suggested developments hopefully at some stage working in his favour but until the charges are significantly down graded or prosecution case officially or largely discredited , really can not see any short term changes with his stand down . Even if he was somehow unexpectedly available before season"s end , no Black Town fixtures for the immediate future so hard to come directly into the top line up . Probably already mentioned in previous posts and unfortunately the odds of Manise playing again or being in the side for the remainder of this season , pretty remote .Other pertinent point also of course, would he be able to offer much more or be an improvement on Croker and Lawton in the short term either

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
He should have done his mormon mission over the last 2 years to get it out of the way!
That would've been a good look, but at least it would've given everyone another reason to not open the door - I'm not opening the door to someone facing stabbing and affray charges!

Ned

Bencher
Tipping Comp 2021
That would've been a good look, but at least it would've given everyone another reason to not open the door - I'm not opening the door to someone facing stabbing and affray charges!
Probably some bail travel restrictions prevented it anyway I'd imagine.

You know, I've heard a strong case about Morgan Harper being Manly's most improved player in 2021, along with Haumole Olakau'atu. But there has to be a case for Lachlan Croker.

Froggy has gone from some actually lamenting the fact that we let Danny Levi go to now it would be hard for Fainu to get the #9 jumper back, for this year at least, such has been his improvement at dummy half. Not bad for someone who 18 months ago was a half forced into a backup dummy half role, and sometimes failing miserably at it, to this year virtually having the job to himself and all but making the position his own. He's even managed to keep Karl Lawton on the bench and we bought him mostly as a hooker not knowing how long Fainu would be out for.

Don't get me wrong, Froggy is still more Des and Monas than any of our premiership winning rakes (Jones, Krilich, Cochrane, Serdaris and Ballin). He's still a half playing at dummy half. But damn if he hasn't improved a hell of a lot more than any of us thought he would. And his defense has been outstanding, as good as if not better than any hooker in the competition ... including the better tackling ones like Api and Brandon Smith.
Agree. I was one of the commenters bagging him early in the season, but he is now playing very well and seems to be getting better each game.

Love watching Manase in those 2019 games …. Very few players have his ability to create time and space around the ruck like he did …. At some points it was like he was in the Matrix, opposition defence in slow motion just watching him dance through …. So balanced, so quick, so strong …. Really hope he gets his life back soon

Bencher
Love watching Manase in those 2019 games …. Very few players have his ability to create time and space around the ruck like he did …. At some points it was like he was in the Matrix, opposition defence in slow motion just watching him dance through …. So balanced, so quick, so strong …. Really hope he gets his life back soon
Imagine the level this team could go to with him back at full strength and another point of attack TomT to can run off

He was nowhere close to the best 9 in the comp in terms of defence. Fainu was coming along nicely with the ball but that was two years ago.

Croker is keeping the middle tight (just needs some help) and we’re averaging over 30 points a game at the moment so Fainu’s attack is not absolutely critical to our points scoring potential...

would it be nice to have Fainu in the squad? Yes! Will it happen? Probably not. Do I care what he did in the game over two years ago? Not much.

Totally agree, this is the angle i was saying last year in relation to our attacking issues at the time, that it was not down to lacking a quality hooker or blaming Levi at the time.

Croker defensively has been amazing with the effort plays(off the ball and on the ball)---yes his distribution from dummy half is nothing special---neither was Fainu's but his defence is compensating for a lot of tired efforts from others that is for sure.

No way in hell will Fainu ever come close defensively to what Croker has offered.

Last edited:
  • ✔️
Reactions: Snake
It's only a game ....
Yes, never taking the wrong option with ball in hand.

Boy, if it turns out he is innocent of these charges, a few "Mcstabby" keyboard types will owe the kid an apology. He's been hung, drawn, and quartered - labelled a d1ckhead, etc, etc. etc...
If someone talks like a di&^head, acts like a di^&head and hangs around with di^&heads more often than not they are still presently a di%^head.

Being innocent doesn't change the above, but he is still young and can turn it around---hope he does before it is too late.

Manase is young, is going to make mistakes and will grow out of this phase, most of us males have probably been di&^heads to some degree, his mistakes have just been more heavily publicized for all to see.

It's not a good look having the video recording incident, a poster here mentioned something about some poor social media communication with a fan, and now caught up in the current mess which hopefully is mistaken identity hanging around a bad crowd, this is not going to help with peoples impressions of you.

If Fainu comes out of this stage of his life a stronger person he can be a leader within the group already, this is what i hope----along with an improved tackling technique.

In saying that hanging around with the wrong crowd is not illegal----i recall posters here had a go at Marty for doing the same thing----many of us probably have friends in the past that might be considered in some ways part of the wrong crowd---it doesn't mean you are exactly like them----but in many instances you do become a reflection of who you associate with.

Just keep living and learning is all we can ask of ourselves.

Last edited:
The poster formerly known as Simmo66.
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
If someone talks like a di&^head, acts like a di^&head and hangs around with di^&heads more often than not they are still presently a di%^head.

Being innocent doesn't change the above, but he is still young and can turn it around---hope he does before it is too late.
Yes Fainu has been labelled as a dickhead. So what? As @Technical Coach says some of his offfield behaviour at Parra and with us clearly places him firmly into dickhead territory. Calling someone a dickhead isnt a big deal. I am sure many of us have graduated through the young dickhead category, into the older dickhead category, with varying degrees of success.

Fainu is an outstanding footballer, who also happens to be accused of a number of serious criminal offences. These unproved allegations are currently ruining his career as a NRL footballer with Manly. I hope that he comes through the case successfully, and that he is ultimately found not guilty of all charges. Further to that he is able to resume his career with us, and wins a premiership with his younger brothers.

I also hope that he graduates out of the young dickhead category, sooner rather then later.

In for the long haul.
Premium Member
2016 Tipping Competitor
I'd have Manase back in a heartbeat. He was pure electricity.
The club have invested heavily, not only in re-signing but moving the family and in supporting his mental health. Maybe the kid made a mistake by going to a church dance, maybe not.
There's no doubt he's enamoured of the gangsta life on his socials, but then again he's a kid with a major talent and probably not a lot of smarts. His life has been one thing, footy, and that's been taken away.
Sure Croker has been good but this kid's a major talent that the club clearly preferred to Api.
If his shoulder is right, he must be in the 17 as soon as he's available.
And I miss his smile.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
24 21 3 499 44
24 21 3 390 44
24 20 4 322 42
24 16 8 252 34
24 16 8 141 34
24 15 9 109 32
24 12 12 -143 26
24 10 14 -3 22