Luke Lewis

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Kiwi, look at the table. The riff are second last. I just don't see Lewis offering much when, if he's that good, he should be leading them to the try-line more often. I just don't think we should purchase a long term captain from another club. I'd see that as destabilizing our own on-field leaders. And we just don't need him.

DSM5 said:
Kiwi, look at the table. The riff are second last. I just don't see Lewis offering much when, if he's that good, he should be leading them to the try-line more often. I just don't think we should purchase a long term captain from another club. I'd see that as destabilizing our own on-field leaders. And we just don't need him.

Using that theory, Hayne is rubbish - which he most clearly isn't.

rmd you make a very good point regarding the influence of both Kite and Joe. Foran chose to spend the night before he re signed with us chewing the fat with Brent. Kite is a cleanskin but he is very tough as femonstrated when he was more than happy to go toe to toe with JWH. Before he played football he used to be a street fighter and in a bit of sh1t, no doubt the younger guys look upto him.

Richie would have come at a smidgen of the cost of T Rex and Lewis and he too is a religious guy who also happens to be very hard, Chee Kam and Sao are another couple of Polynesian boys ans it won't surprise me at all if we end up with Asotasi as Souths look to free up a little bit more cash. All in all a continuance of the good times appear to be ahead for this team. Loved Richie's reference to living on the Northern Beaches, and how Manly is such a strong club.

Why is Gus copping all the flack here?
Cleary is the coach and the one who should be making these decisions.
He did something similar when he stripped Price of the captaincy in New Zealand.

DSM5 said:

So on that theory, Steve Menizes was no good from 1999-2004 ?

I agree we don't need him here, but he is a class act

I have seen enough the last two years to say my cheque book would be open to him. As tough as they come and talented. No offense to existing players, some who are leaving, but I would put Lewis in any day.

Kiwi Eagle said:
So on that theory, Steve Menizes was no good from 1999-2004 ?

I agree we don't need him here, but he is a class act

Haha good point, Beaver was excellent for us during the hard times. Another big name, Brett Kimmorley, was terrible!

So todays SMH has Lewis's manager staing that 13 clubs have contacted him regarding Lewis with the only clubs who haven't spoken to him being The Bronco's, The Cowboys and the Dragons

Interesting.

I don't think we need Lewis, good player BUT towards the end of his days. Unlike Fa'aoso who we would have got for a bargain he'd command $500K plus a year. And remember Waybe Bennett reckons "no forward is worth more than $350 a year" (I do realise that was a few years ago but even now can't see how any forward, apart from perhaps Cameron Smith is worth that sort of coin).

I think the coaching crew know what they are doing, let's leave it to them.

Yeah i dont think we should chase him, that said if he wanted to win a premiership and would take 350k......and we could fit that under the cap then i wouldnt say no

Ryan, I wouldn't want Hayne at the club. Destabilizing sook. He might be a very good player, but I don't see him fitting in with our culture of team play. I just don't think Lewis would fit in as well. There's a good reason why he was stripped of the captaincy. One has to do what the coach says, no matter what you personally might think. There's the rub. We have two captains in the squad and an imported ex-captain, 29 years of age, for a lock - second row, positions which we have covered, just doesn't make sense. Weird that people compare my comments re Lewis, with Beaver. Beaver was much more talented, and a team player. I blame Hassler for not giving him a record that he rightfully deserved.

Disco said:
So todays SMH has Lewis's manager staing that 13 clubs have contacted him regarding Lewis with the only clubs who haven't spoken to him being The Bronco's, The Cowboys and the Dragons

Interesting.
'Lewis's manager'. An impeccable source no doubt.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Disco said:

Interesting.
'Lewis's manager'. An impeccable source no doubt.

And of course he woouldn't be "talking him up" would he??

I think he'll get good coin from one of the clubs, to me the Sharks makes sense as they have quite a few ex Panthers there and probably are even under the cap now.

But the Bulldogs seem to be buying everyone at present with their "open cheque book policy" so suppose they are a chance as well.

Sharks tag Smith for release to land Lewis

CRONULLA international Jeremy Smith may hold the key to Luke Lewis's future, with the Sharks believed to be prepared to release him to accommodate the NSW Origin star.

Smith, who spent two seasons under Wayne Bennett at St George Illawarra before joining the Sharks last season, has been linked with a return to the Dragons or a move to Newcastle where Bennett is coach.

The 32-year-old Kiwi Test lock is contracted to Cronulla until the end of next season but if he was to leave it would free up room for the Sharks to sign Lewis, whose manager Greg Willett said had attracted interest from up to 13 NRL clubs.

''I think we have had every club except the Broncos, the Dragons and the Cowboys,'' Willett told the Herald from hospital yesterday after undergoing a stomach operation.

Advertisement St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust said in yesterday's Herald that the club was ''always interested in quality players'' but the fact they had not yet contacted Willett may indicate that Smith is of greater interest to the Dragons than Lewis.

Smith's New Zealand teammate Jason Nightingale, who was named at fullback for Sunday's match against Cronulla at WIN Stadium, said the Sharks enforcer would be a welcome addition to a Dragons side next year.

''I'd love to see Jezza back at the club, he's a great club man and someone who I've had the

pleasure of playing with before at representative level and at club level,'' Nightingale said. ''He'd be a great asset to any team. He's just got great leadership and all the skills.''

Cronulla general manager Darren Mooney did not respond to the Herald's enquiries about Smith, who still lives in Wollongong.

While the Sharks are one of the favourites for Lewis's services, there is strong interest from several clubs and indications are that he will have little problem earning the $500,000 per season he would have received for the next two years had he not sought a release from Penrith.

''If you haven't got room [under the salary cap], you'd make room for a player like Luke Lewis,'' one coach said, indicating his departure from the Panthers could have a domino effect.

It is expected that the Knights, who are also believed to be interested in Lewis, would have to move on other players to fit him or Smith in and they are already believed to be trying to offload Junior Sa'u and Wes Naiqama.

Despite Lewis being in the process of building a house at Orchard Hills, Willett said the 28-year-old back-rower would be prepared to consider offers from all NRL clubs.

''There is no restriction where he goes if it is worth his while,'' Willett said. ''He will talk to the coaches before he makes a decision.

''I always knew that he would be in demand but I haven't spoken with anyone yet so I don't know what they are going to offer. I told him not to worry about anything until I get out of hospital to give clubs a few days to register their interest.''

Parramatta and Wests Tigers are believed to be the other most likely options for Lewis besides Cronulla, but South Sydney, Canterbury and Newcastle would also be interested if they could find room for him.

Lewis was last night named at lock for Penrith's match against Wests Tigers at Campbelltown on Saturday night but hooker Kevin Kingston has retained the captaincy.

Australian and Melbourne captain Cameron Smith said yesterday that Penrith coach Ivan Cleary's decision to take the captaincy from Lewis during Origin must have played a role in his decision to seek a release.

''He's the heart and soul out there,'' Smith told Sky Sports Radio. ''Looking from the outside in - I haven't spoken to Lewey at all about this subject - having the captaincy stripped from you, surely it's got to have a big part in the decision that he made.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/sharks-tag-smith-for-release-to-land-lewis-20120710-21u3l.html#ixzz20HVzCDzP

Sharks seem the perfect fit

I think Joey G tweeted him and said "wanna join me on the train / bus to Manly Training sessions"!!!.

I'd be very very surpirsed if Manly made an offer.

Mark from Brisbane said:
I don't think we need Lewis, good player BUT towards the end of his days. Unlike Fa'aoso who we would have got for a bargain he'd command $500K plus a year. And remember Waybe Bennett reckons "no forward is worth more than $350 a year" (I do realise that was a few years ago but even now can't see how any forward, apart from perhaps Cameron Smith is worth that sort of coin).

I think Waynes philosophy was no Prop is worth no more than $350k.

Masked Eagle said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

I think Waynes philosophy was no Prop is worth no more than $350k.

yeah maybe right there, after all they do little more than truck the ball up and tackle do they (except Kitey who thinks he's a 5/8)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4