Luke Lewis

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He has been released at the end of the year. LOL if Gus signs Thurston as he won't win a comp for Penrif.

Unwanted: Penrith favourite Luke Lewis wants out of the club. Source: The Daily Telegraph

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/former-penrith-panthers-captain-luke-lewis-wants-a-release-from-the-club/story-e6frexqi-1226420608097

UPDATED: PENRITH has granted a release to club legend Luke Lewis after weeks of speculation about his future.

The decision will be revealed at a press conference this afternoon where both Lewis and Panthers general manager Phil Gould will be in attendance.

"It's unfortunate but it's like a bad marriage - there's no point hanging on to someone when he doesn't want to be here," a Penrith official told thetelegraph.com.au.

There is speculation that Lewis spent the weekend in the company of Paul Gallen his former Penrith teammate Wade Graham in Cronulla.

The Sharks are the front runners to sign him for next season but there is strong interest from St George Illawarra as well.

It is too late for Lewis to switch clubs mid-season as the June 30 deadline for transfers has now passed

He will play out the remainder of the season with the Panthers.

The Daily Telegraph broke the story today.

Lewis, 28, was contacted last night but preferred not to comment.

It's understood that he has told friends he does not want to play at a club where he feels unwanted. Panthers fans will be irate at the news because Lewis is a long-time favourite at Centrebet Stadium who has earned NSW and Australian jumpers.

It is understood that Lewis's manager Greg Willett will this week start canvassing rival NRL clubs to determine interest in the NSW State of Origin utility forward.

One source close to Lewis said: "He wants to leave on good terms. He has a lot of mates at Penrith and has given his all for the club.

"Luke loves the Panthers. The club gave him the opportunity to play NRL and he will never forget that.

"The Panthers want to go in another direction and Luke accepts that. I think they want to take on a youth policy.

"A new start will reinvigorate Luke. He feels he needs to leave. He is little confused as to why the club doesn't want him."

Lewis is a Penrith junior who wanted to play his entire career at the Panthers.

The shock decision has been brewing since Penrith coach Ivan Cleary stripped Lewis of the captaincy before the Origin series.

But Lewis is telling friends the captaincy issue is not the reason he will leave.

On a contract worth about $425,000 a season, Lewis was to be offered the captaincy back again this week but that is now in doubt.

His departure would give Penrith additional room to move in their tight salary cap.

Lewis is said to be stunned at the false rumours circulating about him, one even suggesting he suffered from depression. The source said: "He is very happy. Luke just doesn't know where all these rumours are coming from."

The Kangaroos forward wants the final decision on his future to be made quickly.

Lewis was among the first picked for all three Origin games this season. His performance in Origin II at ANZ Stadium was sensational in NSW's 16-12 win.

Luke is a great player and I would love to have him playing for Manly, having said that the Panthers MUST keep him, It would be like Choc leaving us, it just can't happen.
On another note Big Joe is giving Luke a bit of stick (on twitter) suggesting Luke catches the train with him on training days.:D

So sad for the Panthers fans. But good on Luke for sticking up for his convictions. He should get plenty offers for 2013+.

Gus is also to be commended for the statesman like manner in which the News Conference was handled today.

Eagle1188 said:
Luke is a great player and I would love to have him playing for Manly, having said that the Panthers MUST keep him, It would be like Choc leaving us, it just can't happen.
On another note Big Joe is giving Luke a bit of stick (on twitter) suggesting Luke catches the train with him on training days.:D

Its bigger than us losing choc. This guy represents the heart and soul of the Panthers. Its like the Yankees losing Jeter or Man Utd releasing Giggs. Huge.

Panthers are crazy..simple as that

I rekon Luke will head over to Sharks , got his NSW skipper over there a fellow team mate in Gordon heading there and an ex penrith player there now in Wade Graham , providing they have the cash. This is purely my speculation also !!

You have to wonder what the real story is (one we will never know)

There has to be more in it

Can't believe they let Luke go, feel sorry for the Panther fans.
Agree with Haz88 I think he will join the Sharks

MWSE said:
Eagle1188 said:

Its bigger than us losing choc. This guy represents the heart and soul of the Panthers. Its like the Yankees losing Jeter or Man Utd releasing Giggs. Huge.

I don't think it's too much to suggest it would have been like Beaver leaving during the early 00's. I genuinely feel for the Panthers faithful that it has come to this, and I only hope for their sake that Cleary and Gus know what they're doing.

If the Sharks get him, along with Gordon, then they will have a very useful team. They have been very good this season as it is.
If he goes anywhere, besides Manly, I hope it is to the Sharks.

Hamster Huey said:
MWSE said:
Eagle1188 said:

I don't think it's too much to suggest it would have been like Beaver leaving during the early 00's. I genuinely feel for the Panthers faithful that it has come to this, and I only hope for their sake that Cleary and Gus know what they're doing.

Too true Huey well said

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Trex 600k, Inu 350k(next year), Kasiano 350k( massive upgrade from this year), Perrett 200k, that's a total of 1.5mil and if Lewis signs, thats 2mill total.

What the f*** is goin on over there?? We've lost 7 players since GF win and are struggling to stay under the cap. The Dogs are already full of big name signings and have added 4/5 more. That slimy p**** Greenturd sure knows how to juggle the books.

From what I'm hearing Jennings will be next to go and Johnathan Thurston will be on the Penrith books within two years.

Apparently Gould is chasing JT and in return offering a life in the media after his football career has ended.

Oneyeagle said:
From what I'm hearing Jennings will be next to go and Johnathan Thurston will be on the Penrith books within two years.

Apparently Gould is chasing JT and in return offering a life in the media after his football career has ended.

Illegal

JT can most likely carve out a commentary type career himself without Goulds help. Pretty much need a crazy carrot to get him away from the Cows where he is basically the face of Nth Qld, is on massive dollars & plays behind arguably the best foward pack of Tamou, Scott , Sims & Taumolola.
Lewis - the Dogs amazingly sniffing around but dont count out the Sharks as his new home.

Re: JT's future in media MK I thought the same. Why does he need Gould's help ?. And do what kind of media I ask ?. He can barely talk without that inane uncontrollable laugh

Anyway without saying too much I would have to say there a load of cash incentives invloved as well.

Sharks, Dog$ or Parra they seem to be the ones with the cash at present.Greenturd has an open cheque book , here's the blank cheque you write on there what's needed and we will make it happen is what he says.... Makes me sick but they will buy themselves a comp no doubt

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6