Lost that winning feeling.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
After only 1 win from our last 11 starts we have certainly “LOST THAT WINNING FEELING” at this once proud winning club. Would like to hear your comments on why ?

We didn't turn up as a team last season. Drifted out of games early, and many players showed a real lack of resilience and commitment to the club. Injuries played a part as well. This year we have the squad to have a real crack at the finals, if we can demonstrate that we have fixed the above. I am quietly confident we have. Go Manly.

Penns are tightarses. We run on the smell of an oily rag. It’s catching up to us.

Barrett did a lot of damage especially to our approach to defence for young players. Poor recruitment through that time also and the contracts are still there.

Are we even using the extra money from Fainu no fault stand down or just keeping him on the roster?

I remember days like this when Des first starting coaching when a win was an occasional occurrence with regular smashing at hand.
He slowly turned it around and built a team that won a grand final 40 nil that had heart and a never say die attitude.

He will take time to build us to a team like that again, back then we had Max who seemed to open his wallet up more then the Penn's do. I don't blame the Penn's as it's not a charity.

Des hasn't been back long and has not had time to build the team he wants after the Trent era. Trent did make some bad calls on recruitment but not sure its totally his fault with the budget he had and the usual Manly politics, Des doesn't seem to allow as much outside influence and runs his own race.

After only 1 win from our last 11 starts we have certainly “LOST THAT WINNING FEELING” at this once proud winning club. Would like to hear your comments on why ?

One win from our last 11 games is a great dishonour to our legendary clubs high standards

Great coaches offer no excuses . They do not get paid to make excuses and stand in front of their players like stunned mullets and make excuses for the teams loses . They come up with great solutions and inspire their troops to rise above adversity and play above their weight but instead our team capitulated and not only lost games but we got thrashed by record scores and could not even lift to win any home games in front of our supporters

Why You ask ?

Maybe you should email Des

He will take time to build us to a team like that again, back then we had Max who seemed to open his wallet up more then the Penn's do. I don't blame the Penn's as it's not a charity.
I disagree; private ownership of a RL club is charity. You do it because of love not to make money. Max did it. Russel Crowe does it. Nick Politis does it.
If the Penns aren't rich enough to support the largess then they need to sell the club to someone, or entity, who is financially able to shrug off the losses.
Manly has slipped from being the financially strongest brand to just a small suburban club rarely able to compete with most other NRL clubs.
Do we want to merely survive on the handouts of the NRL and battle for the wooden spoon each season, or do we want to once again be a powerhouse? The answer starts and stops at the top.

I just haven't seen the tightness and unity in the playing group that were famous for and it showed in our defence, rumours of a fractured playing group have hopefully finished.
However they change the rules one thing will never change imo, Defence wins premierships!

Said all this in another thread, and @BOZO tore me a new arsehole, but @Hotspur2014 couldn't agree more mate.

This is a discussion forum , no one needs to tear anyone a new arsehole.

I appreciate everyone’s views , even the ones I disagree with.

The only thing I say is we talk about “ 1 win / 11 losses “.

It’s 2021, it’s one trial loss ( and I’ve extrapolated that loss in another thread ), forget last year , different side , different set of circumstances.

Let’s have this discussion if we are 0/6 or 0/8 but NOT if we lose the first game against one of the powerhouses.

This is a discussion forum , no one needs to tear anyone a new arsehole.

I appreciate everyone’s views , even the ones I disagree with.

The only thing I say is we talk about “ 1 win / 11 losses “.

It’s 2021, it’s one trial loss ( and I’ve extrapolated that loss in another thread ), forget last year , different side , different set of circumstances.

Let’s have this discussion if we are 0/6 or 0/8 but NOT if we lose the first game against one of the powerhouses.
we should wait until #nextweek and see how we go!

Tom was a big loss last year - sure, but that was felt mostly because we had stuff-all else in attack. DCE was on his own. No 5/8 of any quality the last few years, no hooker, no flair in the backline and no depth.

This year we have Foran and Schuster available for 5/8 - that is a massive step up and will only help DCE to elevate his game as well. We have added speed and height in Saab. He is green; however, I think he will give us a threat we haven't had before. Let's be honest, when was the last time any side was worried about our wingers? Walker is back, and though I am not a fan, he is quick and dynamic when he is on. Then we have exciting youngsters like Koula (lightening) and Tuipulotu; remember, these guys haven't played in well over a year due to COVID so I wouldn't be overly concerned with trial form.

What I am saying is that the loss of Tom is no where near as severe as it was last year. Our main issue is defence. It was horrible in 2020 and if it doesn't improve we won't make the eight, but we won't be thirteenth like last year. We will hover around 12th early in the season, but I see us building into the 6th-9th rung. If we have made major improvements in defence, then even higher.

We haven't looked hungry to be honest.

You've got to want to defend, not just score points. Hopefully an injection of youth can, as they settle give us a new lease on life.
Yep, lack of hunger and desire to win.

If you compare the horror of last season to the season before, Des somehow managed to get a team with limited depth to play out of their skins. A few dud calls against the Bunnies cost us the chance of playing for a spot in the grand final. We looked like we wanted to win. Last season we hit the same problems (injuries, limited depth) and just weren't willing or able to compete. Aside from 2020 generally being a prick of a year, I have no idea why it was so different.

Defence, or the lack thereof, was the biggest issue. Even when we built big leads, we were easily mowed down. Individually and as a team, it was absolutely woeful.

My biggest gripe about the trial performance wasn't that our young players were exposed, but that our experienced players (like Siro and Marty - who was the captain of the sinking ship) looked like they didn't want to be out there. Siro looked pissed off the entire time. That's not a good sign.

But Mark is right: It's a new season and we start with a clean slate. I'm expecting a tough time over the opening month. Wins aside, I just want to see improvement - to at least feel like we're getting somewhere. If that happens, great. If not, I look forward to more seeing more torn arseholes than you'd find on the set of a Kurt Capewell modelling assignment…

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4