Lost that winning feeling.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yep, lack of hunger and desire to win.

If you compare the horror of last season to the season before, Des somehow managed to get a team with limited depth to play out of their skins. A few dud calls against the Bunnies cost us the chance of playing for a spot in the grand final. We looked like we wanted to win. Last season we hit the same problems (injuries, limited depth) and just weren't willing or able to compete. Aside from 2020 generally being a prick of a year, I have no idea why it was so different.

Defence, or the lack thereof, was the biggest issue. Even when we built big leads, we were easily mowed down. Individually and as a team, it was absolutely woeful.

My biggest gripe about the trial performance wasn't that our young players were exposed, but that our experienced players (like Siro and Marty - who was the captain of the sinking ship) looked like they didn't want to be out there. Siro looked pissed off the entire time. That's not a good sign.

But Mark is right: It's a new season and we start with a clean slate. I'm expecting a tough time over the opening month. Wins aside, I just want to see improvement - to at least feel like we're getting somewhere. If that happens, great. If not, I look forward to more seeing more torn arseholes than you'd find on the set of a Kurt Capewell modelling assignment…

Yes but we have to give them a month .

Remember the Rorters are largely intact from 2020, maybe even 2019, and ditto the Mixo’s.

I’ll be happy if we see an improved performance BUT the trouble with these new rules are if you aren’t at peak performance you are going to get smashed.

First 20 minutes , about 6-8 “ six agains” , zero ball and you’ll see 28-0 in a flash.

That’s what I hate about the new rules, that’s not footy that’s just TV entertainment!!

We’ll be fine.
The panic merchants will continue to panic.

The end of last season was a disaster. We didn’t have the quality depth last year to carry the major injuries to key players. This year we are much improved in recruitment and the Barrett skid mark on the club is all but gone.

We will make the 8.
This is not about panic yet - it’s about attitude, accountability and results and this club, coaches and the playing squad in recent times have had zero of the above. If we lose our first 4 games of this year which will give us 1/15 , then it is panic time for Des. Can you imagine any manager in the EPL surviving with that type of record ?
I really hope Des that you can prove me wrong, so it is over to you and the players to get the right attitude (especially in defence) , be accountable and get that “winning feeling “ back to this great club , because the supporters (especially on this forum ) deserve better than what they have been getting !

We haven't got the cattle to be a top 8 contender and our marquee players are either injured or suspended.

Remember the Rorters are largely intact from 2020, maybe even 2019, and ditto the Mixo’s.

I’ll be happy if we see an improved performance BUT the trouble with these new rules are if you aren’t at peak performance you are going to get smashed.

First 20 minutes , about 6-8 “ six agains” , zero ball and you’ll see 28-0 in a flash.

That’s what I hate about the new rules, that’s not footy that’s just TV entertainment!!
I fail to see how a game that's over after 10 min can be called any sort of entertainment. It's rubbish and not the way this game was always intended. They're trying to make American Basketball out of a game based on gladiators.

I fail to see how a game that's over after 10 min can be called any sort of entertainment. It's rubbish and not the way this game was always intended. They're trying to make American Basketball out of a game based on gladiators.

You won’t find any disagreement on that from me.

I however have worked it out.

I’m a Cricket tragic , the last test series was one of the most riveting I’ve seen in Australia BUT Gen X, Y Millenials or whatever they are called have the attention span of a gnat SO we get T20, or even worse in the UK they have T10, all over in 80 minutes, the young ones lap it up.

Rugba Leeg circa 2021 is all about TV entertainment, fast , furious , lots of scoring , lots of acrobatic try’s , 2 points for a field goal from 40 out.

We are dinosaurs, no longer are we the target audience, our days have gone , the game will never be like that again.

Sad really but it is what it is.

Yep, lack of hunger and desire to win.

If you compare the horror of last season to the season before, Des somehow managed to get a team with limited depth to play out of their skins. A few dud calls against the Bunnies cost us the chance of playing for a spot in the grand final. We looked like we wanted to win. Last season we hit the same problems (injuries, limited depth) and just weren't willing or able to compete. Aside from 2020 generally being a prick of a year, I have no idea why it was so different.

Defence, or the lack thereof, was the biggest issue. Even when we built big leads, we were easily mowed down. Individually and as a team, it was absolutely woeful.

My biggest gripe about the trial performance wasn't that our young players were exposed, but that our experienced players (like Siro and Marty - who was the captain of the sinking ship) looked like they didn't want to be out there. Siro looked pissed off the entire time. That's not a good sign.

But Mark is right: It's a new season and we start with a clean slate. I'm expecting a tough time over the opening month. Wins aside, I just want to see improvement - to at least feel like we're getting somewhere. If that happens, great. If not, I look forward to more seeing more torn arseholes than you'd find on the set of a Kurt Capewell modelling assignment…
I don't know, maybe I know nothing about rugby league, but I am a bit confused about Marty Taupau's value. I don't get it, especially considering his large pay packet. He is THE pack leader this year and he needs to show it IMHO. It doesn't really interest me how much he can deadlift or bench.

The six agains are the most effective way to manufacture a result. It is becoming like WWE...

You won’t find any disagreement on that from me.

I however have worked it out.

I’m a Cricket tragic , the last test series was one of the most riveting I’ve seen in Australia BUT Gen X, Y Millenials or whatever they are called have the attention span of a gnat SO we get T20, or even worse in the UK they have T10, all over in 80 minutes, the young ones lap it up.

Rugba Leeg circa 2021 is all about TV entertainment, fast , furious , lots of scoring , lots of acrobatic try’s , 2 points for a field goal from 40 out.

We are dinosaurs, no longer are we the target audience, our days have gone , the game will never be like that again.

Sad really but it is what it is.
Fu**ing millenials. I want it now.... nope that's boring....what else do you have.....over it. No patience, no resolve, no persistence.

Said all this in another thread, and @BOZO tore me a new arsehole, but @Hotspur2014 couldn't agree more mate.
Sorry feathered friend . I did not mean it the way you have taken it .

please Let me remind you of what i meant In reply to you losing hope for our team and getting the spoon this season .

* We should not live in denial from our past disappointments but we should always remain optimistic and positive in the future . In this new season *

I disagree; private ownership of a RL club is charity. You do it because of love not to make money. Max did it. Russel Crowe does it. Nick Politis does it.
If the Penns aren't rich enough to support the largess then they need to sell the club to someone, or entity, who is financially able to shrug off the losses.
Manly has slipped from being the financially strongest brand to just a small suburban club rarely able to compete with most other NRL clubs.
Do we want to merely survive on the handouts of the NRL and battle for the wooden spoon each season, or do we want to once again be a powerhouse? The answer starts and stops at the top.
Thank you.

Watching teams getting thrashed every week and having the game over before half time is not sustainable entertainment. Closer games going down to the wire that have people wanting to watch until the end surely must be worth more? I just switch off when it's obvious after 20 minutes who will win.

This year looks like it will be one of the most boring season in years ..... Souths, Easts, Panthers, Storm. Winner of the comp will come from one of those teams. No one else has a chance and are just making up the numbers.

The biggest issue for me is the leadership vacuum the side has. That's worse now that Joel Thompson has moved on. We don't have a natural leader in the side. We throw the towel in too easily when things get tough. That's not like Manly.
Foz is a deadset leader. Just have to hope all the thread, tape, and glue hold up.

Foz is a deadset leader. Just have to hope all the thread, tape, and glue hold up.
Yeh I was thinking about that, and who have we recruited that might fill the void. I'd say he'd be inspirational in terms of lead by example, body on the line style of play. But leadership has a bit more depth to it. I think about guys like Killer, Kite, Kennedy, even the Stewarts. We don't have that at the moment. Hopefully Foz has matured and can be that calming influence that gives the squad some confidence and direction.

I don't know, maybe I know nothing about rugby league, but I am a bit confused about Marty Taupau's value. I don't get it, especially considering his large pay packet. He is THE pack leader this year and he needs to show it IMHO. It doesn't really interest me how much he can deadlift or bench.
Moops....I’m confused why Marty & DCE are being chastised for their performances? Not sure what everyone expects from them? I thought this was a team of 17 not just two. Both these guys cop heaps in here yet they’ve been two of our best! Marty can’t do everything on his own & same as DCE seems to try & do everything on his own. For mine Marty has earned his salary....players like Jake T has NOT yet rarely is he criticised! Marty is in approximately $700k whilst Jake is on $950k. I know who I prefer & who is not earning the money he’s on.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6