LOL@Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Extending your 33 year old highest paid player after a couple of good games at the start of the season, nearly 2 whole years out from when they are off contract, until 2025 when they will be 36 years old is something I'd laugh at any club at. Particularly with a high number of talented young players and good Manly clubmen coming off contract in that time. Expect to lose a few!

The kind of move I'd expect from the Tigers or Warriors, but certainly not Manly
You make a lot of sense.
To me, the end of DCE's original contract, in 2023, would have been a perfect time for him to leave Manly and for us to thank him for his service. I am amazed at the extension, and would like an explanation.
I could understand if the club wanting him to join the coaching team but as a player a 36-year-old halfback is not going to work. My hope is that he may transition into a lock where I think he'd be more suited.

I thought I would start this new thread as part of the LOL Brigade alongside Parramatta and Bulldogs.

People in glass houses should not throw stones and after Friday's night's last 7 minutes we thoroughly deserve the same title.

Totally unacceptable to lose a must-win game like we did it was just incredible, and to be honest embarrassing. I've been following Manly for 55 years and the DNA of Manly sides of previous years (tough, uncompromising, never-say-die attitude) has unfortunately gone missing.
Totally agree, and similar length of being a Manly fan My interest in NRL has hit an all time low after watching those last 5 minutes. I could not believe it and yes LOL is more than appropriate and the coach is a disaster.... something not right!!!!!

Extending your 33 year old highest paid player after a couple of good games at the start of the season, nearly 2 whole years out from when they are off contract, until 2025 when they will be 36 years old is something I'd laugh at any club at. Particularly with a high number of talented young players and good Manly clubmen coming off contract in that time. Expect to lose a few!

The kind of move I'd expect from the Tigers or Warriors, but certainly not Manly
I can only imagine they’re banking on him remaining fit because to date he has proven to be a very robust player.

The other issue might be that they’re hedging their bets, in case one or two younger hopefuls (e.g. Humphreys) don’t pan out.

I thought I would start this new thread as part of the LOL Brigade alongside Parramatta and Bulldogs.

People in glass houses should not throw stones and after Friday's night's last 7 minutes we thoroughly deserve the same title.

Totally unacceptable to lose a must-win game like we did it was just incredible, and to be honest embarrassing. I've been following Manly for 55 years and the DNA of Manly sides of previous years (tough, uncompromising, never-say-die attitude) has unfortunately gone missing.
great post!!

we have been laughable and a stupid dumb football team for some time!

but people hear can’t handle the truth, you know the type of people that think you should all get a participation trophy!

Totally agree, and similar length of being a Manly fan My interest in NRL has hit an all time low after watching those last 5 minutes. I could not believe it and yes LOL is more than appropriate and the coach is a disaster.... something not right!!!!!
I recall a similar come from behind result against Manly, courtesy of the same team, c.2005* - who were on their way to a GF showdown vs the Tigers.

The Deep North Stockmen** have a pretty good side this year. We should have won, but at least Manly didn’t lose by 40-50 points.

*Look what happened a few years later.

**Being FNQers (and QLDers generally) they like to doggedly ape the Americans, hence their culturally inappropriate team nickname.

I for one dont actively dislike Parramatta. We've had good games against them and they haven't stolen anything off us since I've been watching.

They are similar to us in a lot of ways, their performances fluctuate year on year without carrying over from previous seasons for some inexplicable reason however they win against top teams more than we do.

And like Manly I dont see them winning in the next few years without some significant changes
Oh Queefy please don't ever compare us with the worms. We are nothing like them in similarity. We play and win games through adversity and bias against us, not through favouritism and leg ups from officials and the NRL. That's what makes our club successful and the envy of everyone else. Sure the runs haven't been on the board of recent years, and just like the phoenix, we will rise from the ashes and be a force once again. The slime will always be in our shadow and a team that just make up the numbers. 🦅

C0372762-0D12-4A30-B893-510A7BE8C665.jpeg

Yep LOL Manly indeed

This roster shouldn't be a .470 team !! Des came back to coach in 2019.

2017 Bulldogs won 10, lost 14 (finished 11th)
2018 YEAR OFF
2019 Manly won 14, lost 10 (finished 6th) - won 1 final, lost 1 final
2020 Manly won 7, lost 13 (finished 13th)
2021 Manly won 16, lost 8 (finished 4th) - won 1 final, lost 2 finals
2022 Manly won 7, lost 8 (currently 10th)

In his last 5 years of coaching - he's coached 112 games (made the finals 2 from 5 - assuming he's not this year).
In 5 years he's won 2 finals, lost 3 (or .400 in the finals)
He's won 56 games overall, lost 56 games overall (or .500 on the button)

Of the 312 Rugby League coaches in history, since Des return, he has dropped 36 places in the standings, and his win % has dropped 7.5% overall (trending south heavily).

He was on par statistically 6 years ago with coaches like Jack Gibson / Wayne Bennett, now Chris Anderson and Roy Masters (not bad).

If he continues this 5 year trajectory, he'll be on par with Michael Mcguire and Ricky Stuart.

Des statistically is trending south in every area possible.

Alright. I'm prepared to be a spanner. I'm not laughing at my team. I'm quite proud of their performance for most of the game Saturday. I thought it was one of the best of the year until the disastrous 3 minutes happened.
But considering the disaster of those 3 tries, the 'ran onside more than 10 metres' try, was a load of shyte, decided by the bunker.
Without that try, we win.
Go Manly!

I have asked before but does anyone know the deal with DCE going forward I.e has he taken a hair cut for next year and the extension ? Someone please tell me he won't be on anywhere near 1m next year and 24/25?

This roster shouldn't be a .470 team !! Des came back to coach in 2019.

2017 Bulldogs won 10, lost 14 (finished 11th)
2018 YEAR OFF
2019 Manly won 14, lost 10 (finished 6th) - won 1 final, lost 1 final
2020 Manly won 7, lost 13 (finished 13th)
2021 Manly won 16, lost 8 (finished 4th) - won 1 final, lost 2 finals
2022 Manly won 7, lost 8 (currently 10th)

In his last 5 years of coaching - he's coached 112 games (made the finals 2 from 5 - assuming he's not this year).
In 5 years he's won 2 finals, lost 3 (or .400 in the finals)
He's won 56 games overall, lost 56 games overall (or .500 on the button)

Of the 312 Rugby League coaches in history, since Des return, he has dropped 36 places in the standings, and his win % has dropped 7.5% overall (trending south heavily).

He was on par statistically 6 years ago with coaches like Jack Gibson / Wayne Bennett, now Chris Anderson and Roy Masters (not bad).

If he continues this 5 year trajectory, he'll be on par with Michael Mcguire and Ricky Stuart.

Des statistically is trending south in every area possible.
And if he doesn’t win another game and coaches until 2040 he’ll be on par with Barrett.

I for one dont actively dislike Parramatta. We've had good games against them and they haven't stolen anything off us since I've been watching.

They are similar to us in a lot of ways, their performances fluctuate year on year without carrying over from previous seasons for some inexplicable reason however they win against top teams more than we do.

And like Manly I dont see them winning in the next few years without some significant changes

I dont understand this post at all.

Nuts Danny GIF by Cartoon Hangover

Apparently this has never happened before, yet with 1 second search 🤔 poof.

And yes our last 7 minutes against the cowgirls was pathetic.

Walker is no longer the whipping boy and Myles is long gone thankfully.

I can’t stand the Eels full stop! Loser coach, Loser Queen the whole self entitled fu<ken team…..

I have asked before but does anyone know the deal with DCE going forward I.e has he taken a hair cut for next year and the extension ? Someone please tell me he won't be on anywhere near 1m next year and 24/25?
Apparently his two year extension will see him take a significant salary cut. He’s on the same (or slightly higher, perhaps dependent on the structuring of the contract) money next year.

The good news is there is another salary cap increase on the way to north of $10m per year. So in relative terms, his salary will reduce further as a proportion of the total cap.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4