Likely team for Rd 1

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
One thing that is very evident. We are short a quality experienced outside back, id go after chayse blair, ex manly boy and played out of the storm system, currently looking at his options. We cant rely on parker funa and hoppa. Those guys would be fine if we had players like killer and matai inside them BUT we dont. Id also be chasing another experienced forward, already 2 injuries to props, another injury and we would be screwed. 2 spots to fill in our squad, we can only hope we know about Walker's outcome one way or the other asap so we can look to finalise our squad.

Holy Dooley. Jeezly Crow.

When this team makes the eight there will be some egg faced death riders on this site.

Des is an amazing coach. You only have to listen to the media releases to realise how much things have changed from playing cricket and sinking beers. I’d like a boss like that who also made excuses every week but come on.

I hope all you pessimists sleep well. Manly will play finals this year based on what o saw of the trials. Looks a lot like 2005 to me. And Michael Witt was my biggest conce rn then. Have four five-eighths better than him in the squad.

I'm predicting a few surprises in the first five rounds. Manly will shock some teams. The team will build in strength as the year progresses and combinations are developed. It's very exciting that young Albert Hoppa will debut for us this year.
I have no issues at all with the trial loss. Both teams were mistake ridden and playing without intensity. The forwards gained good metres and Marty was a beast.
The injuries are a concern but the positive is it's still 3 weeks of healing until kickoff. This will knock off some of the sideline time for the playing rounds.
I hope Des actually keeps testing combos for the chooks trial. It doesn't matter who wins. Better to lose in trials than later on. A change in attitude is what we really need to see from the team this year. The results will come with this attitude change.

As others have stated I suspect Des' preference is Hodko to start at 6, that's not to say he's a guarantee. It was obvious the starting team last night is what he has in mind for round 1 (I believe Api is recovering from off-season surgery but may be right for rd1?).
Garrick also looks a lock for either a centre or wing spot and from what I saw of him last night has all the attributes to be a handy player.
But yeah with Turbo and Walker that backline would have to be bottom 3 in the comp, we sure are skinny in that department so hopefully a few players surprise this year..

Outside backs without TT and maybe walker are inexperienced and / or ordinary and the bench is pedestrian at best. Will need to totally dominate with run on pack to win games early on.
Tigers will give us a good read on the three quarter line hopes for the year.They will be throwing it around big time and that RHS defence will need to improve out of sight.

Des coached sides have good D. That’s what we need early on. Win games with the grind as hard to see where points will come from until we get back near full strength.So much of our attack , and basically all our support play comes from Tommy and what I’ve seen of Elliott previously he is ok but no world beater.Though he has scored 19 tries from 40 games in various positions which is a high strike rate. Suggests support play probably good which I like in a fullback.

Last edited:
My 2 cents worth to start 2019 with injuries taken into account:

B Elliott (in Tom T when fit)
M Suli
D Walker (assuming he will play)
R Garrick
J Taufua
K Elgey
DCE

M Taupau
Api (if fit)
AFB
C Sironen
J Thompson
Jake T

Res: L Perrett, T Sipley, F Winterstein, M Fainu (in Paseka, Tanginoa when fit)

I have a feeling Walker & Garrick are gonna be one hell of a Centre pairing!!!

Will be interesting if Des gives Garrick a run in the centres this Saturday , maybe just mainly tried him on the wing against the Sharks to ease him into i st grade but will also be interesting if Parker is presently rated ahead of Suli . Suli would surely have more to offer then Brad if he is on his game Settling on a one and six seems more of a priority right now Forward selection of course seems more predictable and a bit more reassuring apart from the bench , Certainly a fair bit dependent on the trial form and gelling against the Roosters. for some i st round team selection considerations . .

Recovering from last seasons injury and surgery
Struggling to make first couple of rounds apparently. Won’t play in trials at all

Good news is Fainu is ready to shine. Can play this kid. He won’t let us down if API out for a couple of rounds.

Last edited:
Struggling to make first couple of rounds apparently. Won’t play in trials at all

Good news is Fainu is ready to shine. Can play this kid. He won’t let us down if API out for a couple of rounds.

Threw me as Api not on injured player list, thanks Sue

Realistically...

I predict we will start slowly. Will be content with some close and hard-fought losses while we get some steel in defence. Any blowouts or capitulation will be very disappointing.

I won't name a team yet as we may have more injuries out of the second trial.

He can definitely play.

My only issues with Fainu is that sometimes he looked like he wasn't looking for work in defence last year. Fitness was not up to scratch but that is understandable for a hooker of his age. I hope he's had a big pre-season because we will need him firing.

• 🌈
Reactions: Sue
One thing that is very evident. We are short a quality experienced outside back, id go after chayse blair, ex manly boy and played out of the storm system, currently looking at his options. We cant rely on parker funa and hoppa. Those guys would be fine if we had players like killer and matai inside them BUT we dont. Id also be chasing another experienced forward, already 2 injuries to props, another injury and we would be screwed. 2 spots to fill in our squad, we can only hope we know about Walker's outcome one way or the other asap so we can look to finalise our squad.

Don't be so sure about that (having someone like Killer or Skivvy). Remember Rd.2 in 2016 against the Tigpies at Leichhardt? Killer himself had a bad enough night with Tim Simona running rings around him, but it was made worse because he seemed to have lost all confidence in the bloke outside him on the wing.....one Brayden Wiliame.

The Tigpies that night did to Killer and Wiliame what the Donkeys did to Suli and Parker in the last round last year. Just not to the same extent on the scoreboard. And lets face it, when it came to rugby league centres they didn't come much (or any) better than Jamie Lyon.

I agree we can't rely on Parker, Funa and Hopoate, though at least Hank Scorpio has some first grade experience which neither of the other two have. And while he wasn't brilliant, I really didn't see Parker do anything wrong in the centres on Saturday night when he was on (he seems to play better there than he has ever gone on the wing).

We're in for a tough start to the season. That was always going to be the case, but with Kelly no longer at the club, Turbo having done his hammy and Walks a distinct possibility of being rubbed out depending on what happens later today, our backline will basically have one.....one regular first grader for at least the opening 2-3 rounds - Jorge Taufua.

The kids are going to have to grow up fast.

Will be interesting if Des gives Garrick a run in the centres this Saturday , maybe just mainly tried him on the wing against the Sharks to ease him into i st grade but will also be interesting if Parker is presently rated ahead of Suli . Suli would surely have more to offer then Brad if he is on his game Settling on a one and six seems more of a priority right now Forward selection of course seems more predictable and a bit more reassuring apart from the bench , Certainly a fair bit dependent on the trial form and gelling against the Roosters. for some i st round team selection considerations . .

Depends if Des goes for Attack Suli or defence Parker (at centre only)

Will be interesting to see how his fitness has improved over the off season. Had a good 40-50 minutes max in him last year with the step up, should see that improve this year.

Still like the idea of both Api and Fainu playing 100% sharing the role rather that playing within themselves trying to last 80 minutes.

I didn't see the trial ... so can some one please answer the following questions for me ..

1) What position did Suli play ?
2) If he played centre ... did he find any opportunity to pass the football to his winger ?

I didn't see the trial ... so can some one please answer the following questions for me ..

1) What position did Suli play ?
2) If he played centre ... did he find any opportunity to pass the football to his winger ?
Fairly certain he played centre. Not that it mattered. Made a few carries out of our half but the whole reserve team struggled to hold onto the ball so were on the back foot most of the half. Hoping he's a lock for a wing spot with Garrick or walker inside him

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10