Likely team for Rd 1

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Sue

Bencher
Assuming no injuries ( big assumption lol) next week and Walks out I’d imagine Des will run with

Elliott
Suli
Parker
Garrick
Tafua
Elgey
DCE

AFB
Fainu
Marty
Sirro
Thommo
Jake

Sipley
Perrett
Winterstein
Hodko

I’d probably give Funa a crack over Parker ( I’ve heard Hoppa not right )and not play big Frank but that’s likely side.And Walks would be a very handy addition if cleared.

Thoughts on ins or outs?

Last edited:
You are probably not too far off the mark there. The change I’d consider is Thompson in the centres. He used to play there when he was younger but I am not sure if he is up to it now.
The thing is, I don’t care about how our outside backs are in attack as much as I care about how they are in defence (particularly early in the season), so I would be looking to put whoever is the most capable of locking down an edge in at centre.
On the bench, I’d also go with a player that has some spark like Cust. I don’t see material upside in Hodko. I mean, even if DCE went down injured long term (heaven forbid!!!), I’d look to blood Metcalf or Cust before handing the reigns to Hodko.

Yep. Agree re Hodko

Cust would be good to have a look at. But with Fainu so young at hooker Des will want experience if his past form is anything to go by.

Other than Walks getting off I’d say that is a lock for the backline unless we lose troops against Rorters
Masters / Jennings /Mbye /Fonua/ Nofoaluma etc have loads of pace and size Not sure where Ryan Matterson will play. Probably 5/8
Be a tough start out wide.

Got Bunnies and Rorters at home and tough away trips to Christchurch and Newcastle as well first month. Baptism of fire for Dessie. Probably likes it that way too

Last edited:
Other than Walks getting off I’d say that is a lock for the backline unless we lose troops against Rorters
Masters / Jennings /Mbye /Fonua/ Nofoaluma etc have loads of pace and size Not sure where Ryan Matterson will play
Very tough.

One certainty

Heavy penalty count against us at Leichhardt

Cast iron guarantee They’ll be practising blowing the whistle right now

Nothing changes

Plus if we say are 2/5 start this season with that draw the pressure will be on Des.

Going to be an interesting few months ahead.

Masters / Jennings /Mbye /Fonua/ Nofoaluma etc have loads of pace and size Not sure where Ryan Matterson will play. Probably 5/8
Plus Reynolds and Marshall.
The Tigers have one of the most dynamic backlines in the comp.
We could dominate them in the forwards but, realistically, unless Tom Turbo and Walker are in our team then we will get outscored big time.

• 🤝
Reactions: Sue
Assuming no injuries ( big assumption lol) next week and Walks out I’d imagine Des will run with

Elliott
Suli
Parker
Garrick
Tafua
Elgey
DCE

AFB
Fainu
Marty
Sirro
Thommo
Jake

Sipley
Perrett
Winterstein
Hodko

I’d probably give Funa a crack over Parker ( I’ve heard Hoppa not right )and not play big Frank but that’s likely side.And Walks would be a very handy addition if cleared.

Thoughts on ins or outs?
Where’s API?

I'm not sure if it's just me but I'm not sold on Elliot playing fullback !! We really need a better back up fullback

Elliott
Suli
Parker
Garrick
Tafua
Elgey
DCE

AFB
Fainu
Marty
Sirro
Thommo
Jake

Sipley
Perrett
Winterstein
Hodko

Thoughts on ins or outs?

My 20 cents worth / keyboard expert ....

Unless it is official that Walker wont play he is in just like he was in our trial game .

Elliott
Suli
Walker
Garrick
Tafua

Elgey
DCE

AFB
Fainu
Marty
Sirro
Thommo
Jake

Sipley
Perrett
Jet ski
Hodko

Note . the more this team will play together under Des the more they will improve.

One trial game consisting of 4 quarters and a total of 30 different players coming on and off is no guide to what our team is capable off.

To think otherwise is not really wise and not smart at all .
download.png

With Tommy T and most probably walker out our backline looks absolute sh!t. Garrick sounds like a lock, and as @Sue suggested I’d be going with Funa. Very very tough opening 5 rounds, realistically could be 0-5 ( hopefully not the case).

On the upside though, forwards look strong.

I expect Des to go with Hodko over LG. From what I saw against the sharks Hodko is no worse in attack (I didn’t use the word good) and better in defence. Des will probably see him as a better and safer foil for DCE. Elliott is probably the best option we have as a backup fullback. I thought Parker was reasonable and he will probably get a start if Dillon is out. It was apparent against the sharks that we really need speed. I don’t see where it’s going to come from. Anderson has speed but he didn’t impress in defence.

As I’ve been saying since October, we are short of decent centres / wings.

Potentially with Dylan and Tommy not playing it exacerbates this enormously.

Our forwards look good , strong even but I fear we’ll be murdered through the back line.

I wouldn't be surprised if Des goes with Hokko at 5/8 because he started with DCE in the halves last night. Elgey only came on as a sub for DCE so they didn't get any game time together. Maybe that's a sign of Des' preference right now?

I wouldn't be surprised if Des goes with Hokko at 5/8 because he started with DCE in the halves last night. Elgey only came on as a sub for DCE so they didn't get any game time together. Maybe that's a sign of Des' preference right now?
Not at all ....
Veteran playmaker Trent Hodkinson partnered Daly Cherry-Evans at the scrumbase for much of the loss to the Sharks, but Hasler said ex-Titans half Kane Elgey would get his chance to impress against the premiers next Saturday.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -60 8