left side defence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Didn't this come back to bite him on the arse.
I watched the replay yesterday and did the math as Green said it's simple :rolleyes:

He was right :wait:

The holes they went through in the first half were due to Manly having 3-4 on the left side and everyone else crowded on our right.

Why Green/Turbo didn't yell to even up our defensive sides each time in the first half, is a mystery :cool:
Somehow Manly had an even spread in the second half. And look at the result - magic :nod:

That is what Snake used to do and Turbo is still learning as a critical role of a fullback.

I watched the replay yesterday and did the math as Green said it's simple :rolleyes:

The holes they went through in the first half were due to Manly having 3-4 on the left side and everyone else crowded on our right.

Why Green/Turbo didn't yell to even up our defensive sides each time in the first half, is a mystery :cool:
Somehow Manly had an even spread in the second half. And look at the result - magic :nod:

That is what Snake used to do and Turbo is still learning as a critical role of a fullback.
I notice that Tom defends a lot in the line when we are on our own try line. I can't recall Snake doing the same but I do remember him standing behind the line Ridge like barking orders at the defensive.
I also think that with Tommy up in the line we have been very susceptible to grubbed in behind the line.

Last edited:
I notice that Tom defends a lot in the line when we are on our own try line. I can't recall Snake doing the same but I do remember him standing behind the line Ridge like barking orders at the defensive.
I also think that with Tommy up in the line we have been very susceptible to grubbed in behind the line.
These are the roles that he will learn.

Snake was always directing defense and only came in when needed. Turbo wastes his energy here. @:cool:

I don't think he defends in the line enough. He should've been looking for holes as we backpedaled in defence, that's what the good fullbacks do. He'll learn.

Our missed tackle count was unremarkable. Fact is, our players all know how to tackle and they are neither unwilling nor unable.

The defensive debacle was entirely a matter of disorganisation, which is very good news because that is eminently fixable.

(Unless, of course, our players are brain-dead slow-witted imbeciles who will always be out to lunch when clear-headedness is required.)

Our missed tackle count was unremarkable. Fact is, our players all know how to tackle and they are neither unwilling nor unable.

The defensive debacle was entirely a matter of disorganisation, which is very good news because that is eminently fixable.

(Unless, of course, our players are brain-dead slow-witted imbeciles who will always be out to lunch when clear-headedness is required.)
They fixed it in the 2nd half - not so slow-witted :)

Every time they shifted to the edges the defence looked vulnerable
I think a huge part of the problem comes back to the amazing speed the Storm were allowed to play the ball.
Most halves will be soft when backpeddling and slow inside slide....especially Green who struggles when Manly central defence is dominating...I feel for young Kelly who can tackle and is having to make far more decisions than he should, due to the inside defenders, then found at the scene of the crime after points are scored, again from the bigger bodies inside lacking sting and control of that ruck area and Green basically a revolving door.

our left edge defence is diabolical. Exploited by Souths, St George and Melbourne. It needs to be fixed otherwise we are a bottom four team. No win can expect to win bleeding 30 points in 40 mins.

I think a lot of the try's are actually scored from the middle jamming in and not sliding with the ball. Frank gets hung out to dry but he has to honour what the guy next to him does eg. jam in. While the try's are scored on the left edge its actually a combination of the right not pushing over to help. These days teams will work to a post and that leaves a 5-6 number each side of the ruck its not hard for a Cronk or Smith to put their 6 attackers on the 5 defenders, the help has to come from the middle. What was pleasing for me they addressed this issues at the half and stiffened up in the second halve.

It's obvious how much more control Manly have had in that vital ruck area and no coincidence - won that 3 straight games....
Last 2 against Illawarra and Storm get rolled easily up the middle, leading to some soft tries on the edge.
Need to maintain a more consistent defence than 3 games on - 2 off.

Our left side did not leak against the boom Raiders attack. Only one (totally freakish) touchdown from a kick. Whatever Barrett said at halftime against Storm seems to have done the trick.

It is all about ruck speed and having the defence on the back foot. It is a pity that the refs don't treat all teams equally in this department.

It's obvious how much more control Manly have had in that vital ruck area and no coincidence - won that 3 straight games....
Last 2 against Illawarra and Storm get rolled easily up the middle, leading to some soft tries on the edge.
Need to maintain a more consistent defence than 3 games on - 2 off.
Spot on.

The way Melbourne structured their attack was much different to what Canberra dished up. Yes Canberra are a big intimidating side with strike power out wide but they failed to exploit us and use it to their advantage. Not taking away from our win which I was pumped about but Melbourne set us up and made us pay several times with that simple lead shape. Its easy to say our left hand side defence is fixed after last night but i would like to see it again against Melbourne.
Very pleasing to watch how much heart our boys have and play with. We are technically out coached in most games but seems Barrett has given them a licence to play whats in front with open footy. This will be a rewarding year for the young players and young coach either way.

The way Melbourne structured their attack was much different to what Canberra dished up. Yes Canberra are a big intimidating side with strike power out wide but they failed to exploit us and use it to their advantage. Not taking away from our win which I was pumped about but Melbourne set us up and made us pay several times with that simple lead shape. Its easy to say our left hand side defence is fixed after last night but i would like to see it again against Melbourne.
Very pleasing to watch how much heart our boys have and play with. We are technically out coached in most games but seems Barrett has given them a licence to play whats in front with open footy. This will be a rewarding year for the young players and young coach either way.

Agree @Ben. The one thing I felt we didn't do to The Storm, that The Sharks did the week before, was rush Cooper Cronk. You give that fellow space and time, you are looking for trouble.

Not sure about being technically out coached though mate. I kind of feel our structures in attack (and especially defense) are improving, and change per the opposition.

I think it's our execution, poor discipline and flat periods at times is what has let us down. We can literally match it, and even out play the cream of this competitions crop (see Roosters game).

But we are showing such fighting spirit at times. I really think comradeship this season is better than it has been in ages. That picture of the team arm in arm, everyone looking so happy just makes me feel so amazing.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8