Lawrence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
There is a lot of love for this guy on the forum and I don't really understand it. He seems like a stand up bloke and he is capable of the occasional strong run but I don't rate the guy. He gets picked up around the midriff and driven backwards a lot and he is ordinary defending in the middle. He made some shocking attempts at tackles against Souths (one directly led to a try).

Personally I hope Fonua-Blake keeps his spot in the team. He is young, promising and could be anything. Instead of buying another established forward, we could make one of this guy and he could end up being real value for money. See how he goes I guess.

Lawrence like any player, has faults in his game. There is the rub, we have seen enough of him to know where his strengths and weaknesses, as a player, lie.

The other bloke has played one NRL game. It might be a bit too early to call for his inclusion, at the expense of the considerably more experienced Lawrence.

Every single forward in both teams were driven back in a tackle. It happens when 3 people weighing a combined 340kg hit you at the same time, or one player hits you at the right time or angle. His overall meters and defense has been very good.

Every forward on the field missed a tackle, and tries happen, hard to blame one person.

I don't think anyone is saying BJ is the best prop at Manly, but if he maintains his current form off the bench he would get a spot in my 17.

I think the love is for a bloke with a career ending injury, unwanted, who didn't give up, fought through adversity to reclaim a first grade spot.

I agree with you regarding AFB, most impressive FG debut by a prop that I have seen in decades. He will be an automatic FG pick from now on.

What we are missing is a forward willing to offload, lawernce can do this, afb can definitely do this! During the parra game he was standing in a tackle with his arms free looking to offload, but no one was there for him. Not having many offloads is damaging our team

See I don't get the AFB fapathon. He was solid but there have been some over the top reactions to 30 minutes of football. At this stage I'd still have Lawrence when fit, but AFB hopefully has some role to play as he showed some good signs to build on.

See I don't get the AFB fapathon. He was solid but there have been some over the top reactions to 30 minutes of football. At this stage I'd still have Lawrence when fit, but AFB hopefully has some role to play as he showed some good signs to build on.

I think many on the board are desperately pinning their hopes on a new messiah in the form of a prop in the calibre of 'freaking awesome', to sve us and AFB is the current hope

Understand your caution Chip, it is wise to take it slowly. But he impressed the dickens out of me and I have seen all the new next big things come and go for 50 years. He is the real deal as far as a player goes, whether his brain matches will be the rub. You and I will both keep watching this space.

We are both hoping for the same result.

Every single forward in both teams were driven back in a tackle. It happens when 3 people weighing a combined 340kg hit you at the same time, or one player hits you at the right time or angle. His overall meters and defense has been very good.
You've sort of missed my point here...he has a tendency to run very upright into the defence and that works for some players with a low centre of gravity, but he has a tendency to continually find himself lifted around the midriff before being dumped on his back. He has always had this problem with his running style.

I do agree with you concerning his determination and drive to get back on the field and I am not necessarily saying he should be outed completely, but he is no walk up start in my mind.

I thought it was pretty outstanding how he bent the line considerably in every run he made during his first grade debut. However, I have seen enough rookies (particularly props) come and go in first grade. It's a ruthless position and I know he has a long way to go but he couldn't have been more impressive the other night.

I thought it was pretty outstanding how he bent the line considerably in every run he made during his first grade debut. However, I have seen enough rookies (particularly props) come and go in first grade. It's a ruthless position and I know he has a long way to go but he couldn't have been more impressive the other night.

Yeah, considering the step up in pace of game, fitness and talent from reggies to FG is huge, he seemed unfazed. I am a wimp admittedly but I would be more intimidated by AFB than Kapow.

Lawrence has been one of our better props this year IMO. He has been bending the line with his runs and creating some second phase play with his offloads. There would be others with their heads on the chopping block before his, wouldn't there?

You've sort of missed my point here...he has a tendency to run very upright into the defence and that works for some players with a low centre of gravity, but he has a tendency to continually find himself lifted around the midriff before being dumped on his back. He has always had this problem with his running style.

I do agree with you concerning his determination and drive to get back on the field and I am not necessarily saying he should be outed completely, but he is no walk up start in my mind.
You make some solid points.

He is still capable of making a solid impact off the bench. He does occasionally get turned on his back when being hit in defense and arm grab defending in the ruck but still see him in top 17. At least we have a few more options in the forwards this year and some depth. Missing that in the backs.

I was impressed with afb and the guy is only 20. He could develop into a beast.

But i get what you are saying with Lawrence. The best props seem to punch through the line and get up and get that quicker play the ball. Tamou runs upright but he can manage to hold off 3 defenders and get a quick play the ball.

That is the key with the best fowards. Not being dominated by the defence and being up to get up with a few players on their back and still get that quick play the ball.

I like Myles in this respect. Does get dominated but just needs to stand up quicker. Good defender though

AFB is A FCKING BEAST!!! . Was not fazed or intimidated against a strong and determined eels pack on his debut . Bent the line going forward and drove them back in defence . Lawrence has good speed, leg drive and can unload. There is room for both the Beast and Lawrence in our team at Starlings expense IMO .

Along with everyone else I always appreciate the effort that Lawrence puts in each week, and his return from major injury has been phenomenal. Personally I don't think it's a case of Lawrence not being good, more a case of finding someone better than just good...Lets not forget he's 32 next year.

Sorry I was referring to his value for us next year.

Brenton has played very well so far. The past 2 seasons he struggled to make metres, & did that really annoying thing of stopping, just before he got to the line. But whatever was said to him, has really motivated him to play harder. It must said, that his surprisingly good performance in the 9's, has been replicated in the NRL. As for Fonua-Blake, he was carrying 3 or 4 defenders, in nearly all of the carries he had. Definitely a metre eater. Both will be in the 17.

I've always thought he was a back rower anyway. His size & speed are better served on the edge of the ruck, running at the playmakers/back rowers than smashing it up in the middle. Much in the same way Jake T & Darcy are now playing at #13, it just makes sense.

Was not fazed or intimidated against a strong and determined eels pack on his debut

That was what I liked most, it's always a reasonable indicator of future worth as to how they go mentally in their debut. He didn't let the ocassion get to him and he seems willing in the contact, so they are good signs.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6