Post-Game Discussion Knights v Manly [Round 5, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Game Information

Knights
Vs
Sea Eagles
6 McDonald Jones Stadium
07 Apr 2022 19:50
79th minute

Match Stats

I noticed Blake Green in the Newcastle rooms last night, presumably now an assistant there.

Could have been filling a similar role at Manly, but we all know what happened.

Here's a photo from the DT showing Ponga being "hit high" by Harper...

The Knights skipper was kept quiet in the first half as the Sea Eagles jammed in whenever he touched the ball. He was hit high by Morgan Harper and then came off a minute later when his head smashed into the turf, but Ponga did return in the second half.

Kalyn Ponga is comes in for some attention as the home side came up well short against Manly. Picture: Getty Images

Kalyn Ponga is comes in for some attention as the home side came up well short against Manly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Marty breaking the door in the team song video.
Could use a bit more of that aggression on the field.

It was such a satisfying win especially after Andrew Johns predicted that Manly would miss the 8 last week due to lack of defence and no Turbo. Not to mention his 60mins long orgasm whenever the knights were attacking. I understand being loyal to a team that you have a strong connection to but for fark sake as commentator you should at least acknowledge when the team opposing your team does something good. But last night when Manly were spreading the ball or threatening he was dead silent. But as soon as Manly made an error he became animated and very vocal. But than again we are getting used to channel nine one sided commentary.

Made some good comments in the post match show re Tommy

When he is out, we dont play like everything revolves around him, even jakes out the back predictable plays are not used.

more direct running through the middle and we play so much better like that, then when the time is right, hit Tom out the back
The other interesting thing about this idea concerns Newcastle’s desire to keep getting Ponga the ball out the back on the edge.

It’s almost like the Knights might have benefited from Ponga missing as well because they tried to run sweeping backline movements, rather than play through the middle.

Very proud of the team. Said it in the game day thread, but a big shout out to all the forwards for their bullocking work up the guts, then some great line speed in defence.

But can someone please tell me what the 6 again numbers were?

Felt like 20-0 against Manly.

Very solid win up in Drugcastle at a ground where we traditionally struggle.

No doubt the Knights were hampered by injuries and we had to grind it out in atrocious conditions.

What was impressive was to see Manly far more aggressive compared to the first couple of weeks and some of the hits put the Knights players on notice in the early stages of the game.

I think we got a good 60 minutes from the team. The first 20 minutes of the 2nd half bewildered me as we did our best through our own mistake to get them back into the game. A bit of luck when the Knights bombed a certain try was a massive turning point for us.

Once we got to 12-6 there was only going to be one winner. We closed the game out in style and rammed home the advantage to come away with a strong win.

I am concerned about our discipline. It was a wet night so dropped ball was a feature for both teams. We gave up too many penalties and too many 6 agains. We have to be better in that aspect.

What really irritated me is the predictable adjudication we got from Klein. One ruck was policed and the other one was not! We got pinged again and again for slowing down the ruck and nothing was done the other way. They got pot plant penalties out of trouble especially in the first half and got an easy out.

What stood out was our defence which was quite solid most of the night. That is encouraging.

The team grew in confidence the longer the game went and we looked a lot more fluent when Dylan injected himself into the game.

Our bench played a key part. Lawton was great, scored a crucial try and made another one. I liked how Aloiai dominated. Paseka and Keppie followed and we looked so solid.

Much better game from Morgan Harper and Brad Parker was very solid.

I am concerned about Saab, he lacks confidence and is targeted every week now and needs to improve.

Garrick was fantastic and all the fears about losing Tom are much lesser today as he did not miss a beat.

A good win and improvement from the first couple of weeks. Now we have a stretch of games which are difficult and challenging. Time to silence the knockers who insist we are only a one man team. I think we saw last night promising signs that we are certainly not that!

Very solid win up in Drugcastle at a ground where we traditionally struggle.

No doubt the Knights were hampered by injuries and we had to grind it out in atrocious conditions.

What was impressive was to see Manly far more aggressive compared to the first couple of weeks and some of the hits put the Knights players on notice in the early stages of the game.

I think we got a good 60 minutes from the team. The first 20 minutes of the 2nd half bewildered me as we did our best through our own mistake to get them back into the game. A bit of luck when the Knights bombed a certain try was a massive turning point for us.

Once we got to 12-6 there was only going to be one winner. We closed the game out in style and rammed home the advantage to come away with a strong win.

I am concerned about our discipline. It was a wet night so dropped ball was a feature for both teams. We gave up too many penalties and too many 6 agains. We have to be better in that aspect.

What really irritated me is the predictable adjudication we got from Klein. One ruck was policed and the other one was not! We got pinged again and again for slowing down the ruck and nothing was done the other way. They got pot plant penalties out of trouble especially in the first half and got an easy out.

What stood out was our defence which was quite solid most of the night. That is encouraging.

The team grew in confidence the longer the game went and we looked a lot more fluent when Dylan injected himself into the game.

Our bench played a key part. Lawton was great, scored a crucial try and made another one. I liked how Aloiai dominated. Paseka and Keppie followed and we looked so solid.

Much better game from Morgan Harper and Brad Parker was very solid.

I am concerned about Saab, he lacks confidence and is targeted every week now and needs to improve.

Garrick was fantastic and all the fears about losing Tom are much lesser today as he did not miss a beat.

A good win and improvement from the first couple of weeks. Now we have a stretch of games which are difficult and challenging. Time to silence the knockers who insist we are only a one man team. I think we saw last night promising signs that we are certainly not that!
I think Saab needs a try to boost his confidence, we saw it last year

I'm delighted with the way we finished but let's not forget that Newcastle would have been leading 12-10 had the Randall try been awarded. Plus we dodged a bullet with the Bunker also overruling an early Knight's "try". This was an extremely tight match for the first 60 minutes.
Yes, but it also shows how close most games are but for the fact of the 1%ers that either go with you or against you.
The black and white “outside shoulder” rule - we all know the indicators and so do the players.
We sometimes forget that they are all professionals out there and Foz was just smarter than Frizell on this occasion, if Foz takes one more step towards the ball then all bets are off, it’s a try.
That’s the difference.

Turning points like Randall’s no try and Jock Madden losing it in goal last week is what makes not only games but seasons - it separates the haves from the have nots.

We hear coaches and players every week “ if we could just execute our plays better…”

It’s the same with refs decisions or non decisions - you could end up losing by 20 and whinge about a decision but it gets brushed over because of the margin.

I think if the Knights led 12-10 at that stage they probably would’ve won despite us being the better side.
Next minute we’re up the other end and a Captain’s challenge later a penalty goal breaks them.
There’ll be plenty of sliding doors moments yet to come, it’s just a matter of whether we’re going in or out at the time.

Last edited:
People with an involvement in the club should not be calling their games. In addition I was really shocked and disappointed by Voss last night who in my opinion appeared to have it in for Manly. Very poor form and unprofessional.

He always dose. Voss is a Manly hater and we hate him too

Was good to see Jamie Humphreys there last night clapping the players on to the field.

Also credit to Des for good selections and use of the bench.

Garrick at the back was the right choice in the conditions, also Parker and Tuipoluto with their hard straight running. This was particularly good in the last 20 minutes from both of them.

Keeping Keppie and Paseka fresh until later in the game also paid big dividends - they had plenty of energy when the knights had no petrol left. Also Lawton and Walker brought their own headaches with straight attack.

I thought Des might have said more about the 6-agains & Harper tackle
Des was very calm throughout the game.

Unlike Brian (Don’t you know who I am?) O’Adams over in the Oldcastle box. His winning percentage has dipped below 50%. Hopefully it keeps on dipping until he has ‘the full confidence of the Newcastle board’.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8