Post-Game Discussion Knights v Manly [Round 13, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Knights
Vs
Sea Eagles
28 McDonald Jones Stadium
28 May 2023 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

That game was winnable. We just needed a few more players to get their heads down and put in a decent effort. Disappointed in Koula, Weekes, Olakau’atu and to a lesser degree Schuster. These guys are better than they showed today. Johns was awful and should not be picked again.
Croker was fantastic and a couple of others had a crack but just not good enough. Just a waste.

Mixed bag, gutsy with the ball in hand but very ordinary with it, most of them weren’t interested in any effort off the ball

If DCE plays, we win comfortably

Johns is woeful, and Seibold can have a huge piece of the blame pie for firstly picking him then leaving him on so long

Rorted by the refs, never a clearer example than Garrick held down for an age then we got pinged next set for nothing. Did a hell of a job defensively to stay in the fight considering the possession and field position

Koula had a day to forget, but that ruling was an absolute joke, if Ponga got hit in the head at all, he wouldn’t get back up. And they try that followed, we may have stripped it, but he still made contact with it after that action into a Manly arm

Olakau’atu had a really bludge today, big bandaging but he had no interest in running the ball. Compare him to Fainu who went looking for it
Guac only saved like three tries. But agree not as damaging with ball in hand.

I’m sorry weekes is not a first grade fullback. He’s possibly a 14 maybe. He’s not up to standard at all. Cooper Johns is not up to it either. Sorry, tried hard but he’s not up to standard. Defence was much better in the second half when Arthur was on. In some parts of our attack it seriously looked like we had literally put this team together from complete strangers. Schuster running around backwards, players not running proper angles. It was a rabble today. Which I guess is fair enough when we’re missing the players we were but why can the good clubs just bring the next man in and it works.
he's ****

Looked very clunky with the ball today which was to be expected, the coaches own a part of that loss for selecting John’s.. Two intercept try’s and one off a kick domes up the attack.

Lawton had his worst game since the send off for the club,

Forwards played well and in hindsight should have attacked the middle more.

Seems there was no proper game plan. Overall, a very disjointed performance. Our strength today was the middle which had with some good busts in the second half. I think the player we missed most was DCE - for his kicking and his defence & organizational skills on the right. If he played today, we would have won comfortably (IMO). Johns offered nothing in attack with Schuster trying to do it all & subsequently becoming gassed. Fainu, Croker, Keppie & Olakau'atu all had big defensive games.

Keppie went good today . No knock there . Schu also held his own. Our right side D lost us that game. Koula and Johns horrible . Koula is worth persisting with and he’ll come good. Johns is not up to it. Though Jake A came on and we looked far less vulnerable. Weekes no good. Doesn’t offer much at all IMO

Funny that every single person on here has known all season that Johns isn’t up to it, we signed a new half this week knowing that we couldn’t keep playing him, yet Seibold still went ahead and picked him. And Arthur was still on the bench anyway knowing that Johns was going to be hooked at some point, only after being a massive liability for the best part of 60 minutes.

First big black checkmark on Seibold’s reign for mine and I fear it’s only going to get worse over the next 6 weeks.

If we look at the positives,I thought our middle was really good, especially in defence.

Unfortunately Newcastle just kept going to Johns and Koula and caused carnage.

We seemed to be penalised a lot for holding down, but Newcastle had a lot more leniency - was that just me?

If we look at the positives,I thought our middle was really good, especially in defence.

Unfortunately Newcastle just kept going to Johns and Koula and caused carnage.

We seemed to be penalised a lot for holding down, but Newcastle had a lot more leniency - was that just me?
I think the sun bin tells you all you need to know.

Without the benefit of hindsight, I think seibold made the right selections. I was happy to give weekes another shot at fullback and Johns a shot at 7, given Arthur had less than a week training with the team.

I think we will see Garrick at 1 and Arthur at 7 next time.

Funny that every single person on here has known all season that Johns isn’t up to it, we signed a new half this week knowing that we couldn’t keep playing him, yet Seibold still went ahead and picked him. And Arthur was still on the bench anyway knowing that Johns was going to be hooked at some point, only after being a massive liability for the best part of 60 minutes.

First big black checkmark on Seibold’s reign for mine and I fear it’s only going to get worse over the next 6 weeks.
You mean the next 3 years.

Keppie went good today . No knock there . Schu also held his own. Our right side D lost us that game. Koula and Johns horrible . Koula is worth persisting with and he’ll come good. Johns is not up to it. Though Jake A came on and we looked far less vulnerable. Weekes no good. Doesn’t offer much at all IMO
Koula is traditionally good when he only has his own game to worry about. The NRL is hard enough without having to defend and keep and eye on his inside shoulder. Similar thing with Saab when Harper was inside of him.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6