Killer announces his retirement

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
To do what he as done for this club,will go down in our history as one of the greatest,he's always put manly first,whether at origin or country,to me that just goes to show the love that he has for this great club,and always a gentleman on and off the field,proud is a word which comes to mind,I've been watching footy for over 40 years and I've seen some great footy players,but this manly champion will always be my favourite,thank you Jamie Lyons for your long and illustrious association with my beloved Eagles and hope you stay injury free right thru the end of the season,and let's hope that the team as a whole send you out a winner that you are.

Played for Australia
Played for NSW
3 premierships - for Manly 2008 and 2011, for St Helens 2006
English Challenge Cup champions 2006
total of 6 grand finals
2 grand final eliminators
once scored 5 tries in an NRL match (for Eels in 2003)
Captained his Manly team to the premiership in 2011
2005 Man Of Steel Award
2010 Dally M Centre Of The Year
2011 Dally M Centre Of The Year
2011 RLIF Centre Of The Year
2012 Dally M Captain Of The Year
2013 Dally M Centre Of The Year
2013 RLIF Centre Of The Year
2014 Dally M Captain Of The Year
2014 Dally M Centre Of The Year

...might not be so easy to replace, now that I think about it!

Thanks Jamie for all the wonderful memories.
I hope we can enjoy many more in your final season.
I don't know you personally but I reckon you'd be a great mate to have.

Ive had the privilege of meeting jamie half a dozen times over the years as his home town is only a couple of hours from mine . Dead set champion footballer and dead set champion bloke . Good luck mate , hope you can lift the shield one last time.

OMG - Manly are pimping the memory of Killer before he has hung up his boots @:mad:

https://auctiondesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category&CategoryID=5241&OrgID=15975

ChCGn70VEAATzK1.jpg

Absolute ledgend. Deserves his spot in Manly's greatest 13.

Glad he gets to retire on his own terms.

Let's honour him like we did beaver and send him out with a third premiership ring.

Lyon has earnt a very nice retirement. A very special player and I feel that his greatness often gets underrated. Even I do it at times.

I read that he won the Dally M Centre award 4 out of the 9 seasons he has played out for us. Not bad for a bloke who is more of a throwback to the old school player with all-round skill rather than the power running athlete that we see an abudance of these days.

Its no time to panic. It was coming and we all knew it. Players, even champion ones like Lyon, dont last forever. And quite frankly its better that he leaves us still near the top of his game. It would be a tragedy if he played on and lost form to the point where he was relegated. Not what should happen to one of Manly's all time greatest players..and yes he is in my top 13 of all time Manly teams along side Fulton and outside Cliffy.

Its better that it happens now because it give's Manly time to start looking around with a bag full of money for a replacement. No doubt Walker will move to centre so its a matter of getting a top of the line 5/8. Norman? Bird in '18?

I suspect Snake wont last much longer either so we'll need a couple of top wingers when Tom moves to No 1. Snake is also in my all time best Manly side....on the wing would you believe with Eadie at No 1. Irvine the other wing, Toovey half.

Just watched Killer's Fox interview on NRL360 and he reckons that coaching is not his go, it's too stressfull and he can't go out and help on the field :shake:

So water boy maybe more his pace :D

It's part of life but geez I am going to miss this champion! There is no other captain in the NRL that carries themselves quite like the great Jamie Lyon. The way he walks down the tunnel and leads the boys onto the pitch, you can just see the focus and determination and confidence in his demeanour. Even in his twilight years he could still turn a game on it's head. He was brilliant against the Roosters a few weeks back and who could forget that performance in Gosford against the Broncos last year.

Simply the best!

Proud to have had Jamie as part of this great club. Loyal and respectful to the end. Thank you.

Probably wanted one more but I feel had a chat with TB and released no room under the cap for next year with manly looking towards the future.

One of the best players to ever wear the maroon and white!
Wrong. Was asked to stay one more but unselfishly said no. He's the best player I've seen since he started for parra. An out and out rugby league player. Wish there were more lie him and hope the interchange rule will bring blokes like him back into the game.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4