Killer announces his retirement

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
My fav Killer story:
I walked into the Manly Leagues function room after 2008 GF. Jamie was standing about 10 metres away...I looked toward him and yelled out "KILLER" !!! As I walked toward him he comes running up and jumps into my arms. Much embracing and pig shooting stories are relayed. He is by far the best bloke I have personally met in footy. He spoke to me like I was one of his mates (come to think of it, maybe he thought I was lol) great moment.
manly GF 2008 029.jpg

Attachments

• manly GF 2008 028.jpg
    manly GF 2008 028.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 15
LYON A PANTHER FOR LIFE

IT’s common for NRL stars to celebrate premiership victories with a tattoo of the club emblem. Jamie Lyon has won two grand finals at Manly and another at St Helens but has only one tattoo.

It’s from his old days at the Wee Waa Panthers and shows how proud he is of his bush upbringing. It was typical of the easygoing 34-year-old to announce his retirement at a general press conference during the week without fuss or fanfare.

He will be staying on at Manly in future years as a club ambassador and mentor for younger players.

LYON HEARTED

He deserves a bit of pomp and ceremony, but there was nothing more fitting than the way Jamie Lyon announced his retirement. Lyon revealed his glittering 17-season career had come to an end in the most understated way, during a routine media session at Narrabeen.

It says a lot about the country boy that he rates his premiership win with Wee Waa during his NRL sabbatical up there with his two grand final wins at Manly. One of our favourite Jamie Lyon stories was the call he got from then St Helens coach Ian Millward just after he helped guide the Wee Waa Panthers to premiership glory over the Moree Boars.

1458554707679.png

Thank God he's a country boy: Retiring Manly skipper Jamie Lyon. Photo: Mark Kolbe

Millward, wanting to ensure his prize signing had emerged unscathed from the match, was horrified when the former Parramatta centre told him he was sitting on the roof of the local pub drinking beer.

"And when we finish here, we're going on a pub crawl," Lyon said, before adding: "This won't be the last roof we'll be drinking on."

Fearing it could get very messy indeed, Millward asked how many pubs there were in Wee Waa.

He hung up the phone breathing easier after Lyon responded: "Two."

"That's a true story," Lyon said during the week.

"We had quite a few beers after we won that. That was a big occasion for the local town. That was another highlight of my career, a lot of old guys came out of retirement. In such a little town, it meant a lot."

I have not posted on this thread until now because I have spent some time trying to come up with something to salute the legend that is Jamie Lyon. I have actually found it quite challenging to find the words to express my gratitude and admiration for one of the best rugby league players in the world.

I was pretty upset to hear that he was retiring at the end of the year and I knew that this day would be coming at some stage, but it did not make hearing the news any easier. Reflecting on his time at Manly only reinforces that he is one of a kind and irreplaceable. He is a complete footballer, has great speed (well he did have, up until recently unfortunately where age finally caught up with him), great hands and dazzling footwork. I loved watching him attract two or three defenders then slide the ball out the back to a player in space. His defence, timing and ability to read the game have placed him into elite status.

Jamie has received countless awards and achieved much throughout his life. He has represented Australia, but most importantly in his sporting career has captained the Mighty Manly Sea Eagles for a number of years and scored a try in our grand final win in 2011. The image of him holding up the premiership trophy will be something I will never forget.

A true leader and a loyal Manly man, Jamie has always given 100% when playing for the maroon and white. His integrity, modesty and honesty have set him apart from many in the sporting world. He chose his family in personal life and his Manly family in sporting life over the allure of more fame and fortune if he had of continued on with his representative career, (where he would have further exceled no doubt). And he has deserved so much more than what the fickle NRL and media have served him in various moments of his career.

Thank you Jamie for allowing me to witness so many years of your great athleticism, I have loved every moment and I love that you’re an Eagle. You are one of the greatest Jamie and I look forward to watching the remainder of your career in 2016 and I will miss you in 2017 and long after.

• 3 hours ago
  • by NATHAN RYAN WITH AAP
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
ST Helens have made a sneaky approach to retiring Manly skipper Jamie Lyon, a former Shark extends his deal and an NRL assistant lands a coaching job.

SUPER LEAGUE’S BID FOR LYON

St Helens coach Keiron Cunningham admits he tried to lure Manly skipper Jamie Lyon back to England for one last stint in the Super League.

Lyon recently announced season 2016 will be his last before entering retirement — but not before his former Saints mentor had one last crack at the former Man of Steel.

“I tried my best to persuade him, but he has kids in school over there,” Cunningham told Totalrl.com.

“The only thing I didn’t do was get on my hands and knees to beg him

“He is just one of the great Saints players of all time and a champion guy.

“If you were fortunate enough to come across him you would realise what a special guy he is.

“We know he can play rugby and he was one of best centres I have played with, but among his qualities are how personable he was.”

I'm not Lyon when I say I've enjoyed these stories ;)
But whilst it will be sad to see him hang up the boots I'm trying to find a positive out of this and the biggest thing I'm looking towards is not having to witness and read about 'Jaime Lyons' quite as much. I'm clearly no spelling or grammar nazi but it still bugs me when particularly Manly fans are STILL referring to him as Cliffys nephew or son :p

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2