Kikau signs deal with Bulldogs for 2023, as picture in rival colours angers Panthers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

pt73

Bencher
Premium Member

Panthers back-rower Viliame Kikau has created a stir, posing for photos with Trent Barrett and Phil Gould after signing a four-year deal with the Bulldogs. But the deal only starts in 2023.

Kikau still has one year to run on his deal with Penrith, and his decision to wear a Bulldogs polo and pose for a photo with club powerbrokers hasn’t gone down well at Penrith.

The Bulldogs are celebrating the massive coup of the premiership-winning back-rower, who has also been in discussions with the Cowboys and Dragons for the past month.

The Panthers have been resigned to the likelihood of losing him having upgraded the contracts of a number of their representative players in the past 18 months.

The picture also comes the day before Penrith are set to hold their premiership parade, the team to show off the trophy from an open-top bus on Saturday morning.

Gee that’s a bad look isn’t it , in a Bulldogs jersey 12 months before his current contract expires.
Agreed.

Benji did the same thing when he was leaving the Tigers to play NZ Rugby, he said this year it was one thing he shouldn't have done.

Often taken the pi** out of the Roosters ability to Salary caps, ability to "always" pay unders.....Uncle Nick golfing exploits ect....but on a legitimate call, the Dog's were financially struggling to manage the cards for their last 2 signings and let's face it - the club has been an abomination and it is a no brainer to call out that all these signings went for BIG overs....and now they land Kikau for $800,000 a year, starting to get a little odd....as for Kikau hugging an opposition coach and already decked out in their colours - that's a bigger crime !!

Once again the no idea rugba league let this sort of crap ruin the games image. Would we like to see Turbo in a rorters jersey or DCE in a Walrus jersey for 2023 now. F***ing joke that this is allowed to continue. Hopefully we'll see the snow blower Smith in someone else's jersey shortly just to make a total mockery of the place.

I think this was deliberate in the hope the Panthers will release him for 2022 & pay some (or most) of his freight to play at the dogs.

Gus is a devious bustard.
And also wedge the eels on Mahoney to try grab a player elsewhere

Once again the Filthdogs show they have no ethics and yes they are entitled to sign any player they want but they cannot help themselves in undermining other clubs, a decade ago it was us and now Penrith.

I really wish the NRL would do something about players being signed so far out as it really destroys the bond between a player and the fans. This is bound to cause more bad blood and the so called family club have yet again shown they are into buying players rather than bothering to develop their juniors!

Once again the Filthdogs show they have no ethics and yes they are entitled to sign any player they want but they cannot help themselves in undermining other clubs, a decade ago it was us and now Penrith.

I really wish the NRL would do something about players being signed so far out as it really destroys the bond between a player and the fans. This is bound to cause more bad blood and the so called family club have yet again shown they are into buying players rather than bothering to develop their juniors!
100 percent

I am ok with (or at least used to) players signing one year in advance, but there is absolutely no need to parade a player in your club colours while they are still under contract elsewhere. It’s very arrogant, and for someone like Gus who always says he understands the fan base, well, I think it shows he just doesn’t care.

I blame the player as much as the Bulldogs here though, he could have refused the photo opp. If I was Panthers, I would be tempted to fine Kikau for wearing the colours of another team whilst under contract. Fans, sponsors etc deserve better.

From my perspective, this is great news. Penrith have a guy playing for them that has an $800k per year contract to protect and could be keeping a prospect for 2023 in reserve grade or he agitates and disrupts the Panthers pre-season and or season if he stays for 2022. Then you have the Dogs with 31 in their list (including Asiata so potentially 30). Which means 1 if not 2 will need to be removed from the 30 before the season starts if he comes. Then for one or more of the guys like Doorey whose contracts expire in 2022 the Dogs are saying we may or may not want you next year but flog yourself anyway.

Both a recipe for great team harmony.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4