keep politics out of the game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.

@SeaEagleRock8 ... here is how most Australians answered your question.

'We've had enough': Over half of Australians believe sport is now 'too politically correct'​

Sky News Australia - Yesterday 7:32 pm

Over half of Australians believe elite sporting codes are now “too politically correct” according to a new poll from the IPA, says Sky News host Peter Gleeson.

“Earth to sports stars, we've had enough,” Mr Gleeson said.

“Sport is a critical part of our social fabric. For generations, it’s brought the nation together.

“But now it's been hijacked by activists and privileged elites as a weapon of political division and woke virtue signalling.”

“Sport is a defining component of the Australian way of life, where we all can play and cheer together, and the message from mainstream Australians is clear: play the ball and not the man,” said Daniel Wild, Deputy Executive Director of the Institute of Public Affairs.

A poll undertaken in October, by marketing research firm Dynata, asked 1,000 Australians to specifically agree or disagree with the statement: “Sporting codes like the AFL, NRL, cricket, and netball have become too politically correct”

• 61% Agreed.
  • 39% Disagreed.
This result represents a dramatic increase in the proportion of Australians who believe sport has become too politically correct, from 51% on a similar question asked in 2019.

Australians were also asked to specifically agree or disagree with the statement: “It is wrong that professional athletes are using their positions to campaign for their own personal political causes.”

• 62% Agreed.
  • 38% Disagreed.
Importantly, a majority of Australians across every age group and every state and territory agreed with these statements.

“Sport is a critical part of our social fabric, which for generations has brought our nation together, yet is now being used by a privileged elite as a weapon of political division and woke virtue signaling,” Mr Wild said.

Finally, Australians were asked to specifically agree or disagree with the statement: “Energy companies such as Woodside, sponsor of the Fremantle AFL team, and Alinta Energy, sponsor of the Australian Cricket Team, should be banned from sponsoring sporting teams.”

• 69% Disagreed
  • 31% Agreed
“The results on the scoreboard could not be clearer, Australians want politics out of their sport plain and simple,” Mr Wild said.

“The recent actions of a number of professional sport stars are fundamentally at odds with the views and values of mainstream Australians.”

“Throughout our history sport has been one of Australia’s greatest unifying forces, inspiring millions to pursue excellence in all walks of life. We cannot afford our pastimes to become the plaything of activists,” Mr Wild said.
I’ll add this perspective as well. I didn’t write it, but I fully agree with it.

Front and Centre

The thing about the woke invasion is that it never stops.
There’s no part of life they won’t try to infiltrate and ruin.
Watching sport used to be a great way to unwind – to get a brief reprieve from our virtuous climate alarmist overlords who are hellbent on taking our money under the guise of saving the world to make themselves feel better.
But not anymore.
Instead of a short ‘Welcome to Country’ when you go to the footy, you now have to sit through 15 minutes of “never ceded sovereignty” political garbage.
Instead of a few players wearing rainbow armbands, there’s now a whole Pride round and if players don’t bend the knee to the rainbow jersey they can’t play.
Instead of just being against racism, the activists started demanding players genuflect to show their loyalty.
You give the wokesters an inch and they take a mile.
To be clear, just like any Australian, sports stars are free to say and believe whatever they want.
There are sports stars right now, like cricketer Usman Khawaja, who have made a personal stand and cover up alcohol sponsors on their jerseys.
Who cares? Not most Aussies.
But there’s a big difference between taking a personal stand and demanding everyone else bend to their will.
If Aussie cricket captain Pat Cummins has a problem with an energy company’s sponsorship because of climate change, he’s wrong, but that’s his business.
Who cares if he’s happy to jet around the world on fossil fuel powered planes and drive around in a petrol guzzling Land Rover?
Or that he promoted Longi solar panels that were built by Uighurs enslaved by the Chinese Communist Party?
B22OlfroxiPNf6__EJ_fUgtYI_sY1nBWb6Ee0McZGG-eeRFfAVKdwBXnVIvBdrkPvcJTYZQFOByfue8Wy_FpbGyCGDZtp-fPAlJn9yRaG_lY_rFOW8ArWvrL84ClAoBU-V1lpW680ds24-pYSydCmj_067_yKtEwZbN_YqcrOhlpMy93=s0-d-e1-ft

He can have his freedom of speech and have his say.
But he didn’t do that. Instead, he attacked Alinta Energy by talking about “who we want to align with” and “who we want to invite into being a part of cricket”.
That’s classic woke speech which means: “Get woke or get out.”
And that message isn’t just directed at Alinta or at the Cricket Australia authorities or at his teammates.
It’s directed at you.
He’s telling you if you don’t agree with his political stance, you don’t get to be a part of cricket.
Well, be careful what you wish for Pat.
Because if you start telling mainstream Australians they’re not welcome they just might just believe you.
And then, who will come and watch you play in your fossil fuel made green and golds?
EZxpf2NIQvmFYzQxeSwmn-RO8qfccszp-AcO_IOwC5vfbT7BdYBQeqzJPcQa4j0_HAQjs7ZbwL6ni6Px2aW1vGvKkjlBpFaHJsZPpghpnHnF3hKCotbcAtB_a2P4WtgIGmwsDC6XhZK4SMVPbK9IM3AtPPRrDhuQYtuVt4OFil8aWdyZWb4_lRMO6g=s0-d-e1-ft
Matthew Sheahan
Executive Director
ADVANCE

Poor SER8 publishes a really incisive, well thought out piece and you lot have to make it all about the gays yet again.
Get over your obsession and actually read what he had to say.
It should have been the beginning of a far deeper dialogue.
I think I’ll have a rest from here for a while. Many of you just want to keep licking the same floor over and over.
Good luck to you SER8. I hope you can find some genuine intellectual exchange somewhere on her.
Hang in there @Budgie The worm is turning. Yes, it's turning pretty slowly, but the Silvertails floor is becoming more palatable week by week. Give it time and it will turn completely.

For what it is worth the Socceroos have always been a source of prose especially to first generation Australians like myself

Jackson Irvine puts it best

I am very proud for what they have done and why they did it

For what it is worth the Socceroos have always been a source of prose especially to first generation Australians like myself

Source of prose? Source of pride?
Assuming thats correct, but praise would also work. Not so much a source of praise, but definitely praise worthy.

The lyrics from this track defines the stand that the Socceroos have taken IMHO. The Socceroos have come a long way, and with this action have set an example to follow.

Praise, Prose, Pride.
Whatever works. Great movie too

We've come a long long way together
Through the hard times and the good
I have to celebrate you baby
I have to praise you like I should
I have to celebrate you, baby
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you

Track by Fatboy Slim (Norman Cook)
Co-writer, Camille Yarbrough

Last edited:
This is very sexist and I apologise for that but Tim Paine desperately needs to go to Specsavers.

His wife is dead set a 12 out of 10 on the Richter scale.

And I’ve seen a photo of the lady he was sending dick pics to , and let’s just say she’s , well , nice.
Kind of like Charlie and Camilla, what was he thinking with Di in bed waiting for him?, all the inbreeding in the royal family has created some issues, I shouldn't say this considering my grandparents were Tasmanian but perhaps that explains Tim Paine too 🤷‍♂️

Nice write up SER8.
Wasn’t going to comment on the issue any further. But I’m just bewildered by the notion of flagging social issues like this in the public eye. This is quite different to the “politics” you are talking about.

The rainbow means more than gay and lesbian people. Rugby league and sport are watched and followed by children. Bringing in a rainbow confuses the crap out of kids and it’s deeper meaning of “LGBTQIA+“ stands for and 5 year old children should not be exposed to this rubbish.
Let’s put aside gay and lesbian people for a minute, I respect them, I know many who are great people.
Transsexual, intersex, asexual all part of the alphabet crew the club was virtue signalling for. This is all sorts of messed up things that children should not be brainwashed by. There are only 2 genders, always has and always will be. And part of this rainbow propaganda supports the claim of there being 500 genders. What a load of hogwash.

I ask the serious question to the few people who are in support of the jersey. Do you seriously think innocent children should be taught all of this information about sexual preferences and alterations? Please answer honestly.

Last edited:
Source of prose? Source of pride?
Assuming thats correct, but praise would also work. Not so much a source of praise, but definitely praise worthy.

The lyrics from this track defines the stand that the Socceroos have taken IMHO. The Socceroos have come a long way, and with this action have set an example to follow.

Praise, Prose, Pride.
Whatever works. Great movie too

I have to celebrate you baby
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I have to praise you
I don’t want to rain on your parade, however you should acknowledge the songwriter and/or performer/s in question.* The site owner could otherwise get into trouble.

*Fatboy Slim (Norman Cook) says ‘hi’. So does his co-writer, Camille Yarbrough.

Kind of like Charlie and Camilla, what was he thinking with Di in bed waiting for him?, all the inbreeding in the royal family has created some issues, I shouldn't say this considering my grandparents were Tasmanian but perhaps that explains Tim Paine too 🤷‍♂️
What was he thinking indeed, lord Mountbatten and then Jimmy Savile as close friends and advisors.

I don’t want to rain on your parade, however you should acknowledge the songwriter and/or performer/s in question.* The site owner could otherwise get into trouble.

Yep 100% @Terry Zarsoff The correct attribution was done in the first (🍻) inspired post. Somehow, it wasn't included in the early morning (hungover) edit. I will make sure to leave my drunk posts alone next time.

Yes if any artist knows about not getting permission to use someone's song it's Norman Cook.

All good ... but now follow through with every country you play against that have similar atrocious social justice and human rights records ... there is about 120 of them .. should be a fun few years ...

No Ned I didn't say it was a good idea.
The point of the article really was that there is a lot going on, as there usually has been, and to put a bit of historical context to jerseygate.
I specifically say I don't know if the jersey was player driven or owner driven, but in the end it's clear there is a problem with inclusiveness in the game, and just as importantly a problem with giving a voice to the new Pacifika player demographic.
It's not a simple scenario, and my main point is don't put our heads in the sand and hope it goes away, there are important things happening in the lives of the people in the game we follow and these deserve to be fully considered and thought out.
There is no problem with "inclusiveness" in the gam---- not one religion,race,sexuality or background is forbidden from entering the ground as a supporter or player or as an official.

Rarely have i seen fights in the crowd due to differing cultural beliefs unlike at Soccer games, the issue with jerseygate is preaching, keep that out of sport.

Politics will reduce when the wealth and success of a club align over prolonged periods, right now Manly are struggling on the field and not all that wealthy off it.

When you are merely making up the numbers in a competition there will always be someone telling the world "they can do it better" and it is much harder to keep such views under wraps.

Not saying wealthy clubs don't have politics it is just more subdued to the point the everyday person is more likely distracted from it due to hopefully great on field performances.

A wealthy club not doing well the fans of the club still sort of have hope for the future as money affords opportunities and options, when the club is not doing well on the field and the finances are not "great or inspiring" fans become desperate and despondent while political factions come out of the woodwork and opinions like A$$holes flourish all over the place.

Look at Parra in the past, poor performances on the field, financially good off it with a thriving leagues club, stability at the very top almost dictatorship like but still plenty of factions yet the fans didn't get too lost in the politics and more on the hope of new players or coaches coming to the club for future success.

While fans have hope political factions wont mean much, when the club appears to be stagnating with no finances to fund a bigger picture or plan that is when it becomes an issue to get on top of quick smart.

Last edited:
Funny how my post above is awaiting mod approval. Free speech dead around here for asking the tough questions?
Not sure what you asked but can’t imagine it would have been too bad…no doubt you will get an explanation if it is not posted. Hopefully if we are going to have this debate it can all be laid out on the table not just all the emotive grabs…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8