keep politics out of the game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
Given the US is almost my 2nd home, I could go on about that ......... but I won't. Similarly, I could discuss @Red Pill 's history of colonisers/convicts and the impact on indigenous Australians but man, that would take more energy than I have to spare. I still have a footy season to prepare for. And I don't mean that as smart arse comment @Red Pill coz I don't like to do that. Actually, now I think about it, I really should just stick to footy and silly comments. Oh look, it's time for bed.
Hey @Seagles68 not so fast with the seagull type comments. e.g. fly in sh!t every where and fly off :). . My pointing out the plight of the convicts does not attempt at all to take anything away from the impacts placed upon indigenous peoples. You have however demonstrated the point I am trying to make by seemingly prioritising victimhood. When or if energy permits I would happily debate you anytime on this topic….

Eagles4Life

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Hey @Seagles68 not so fast with the seagull type comments. e.g. fly in sh!t every where and fly off :). . My pointing out the plight of the convicts does not attempt at all to take anything away from the impacts placed upon indigenous peoples. You have however demonstrated the point I am trying to make by seemingly prioritising victimhood. When or if energy permits I would happily debate you anytime on this topic….
Go On Popcorn GIF

Seagles68

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Fair enough. cheers

Eagles4Life

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member

Just so you know @Red Pill I had convict ancestors at Sydney Cove, Norfolk Island, Port Arthur, Port Macquarie and Redcliffe (Moreton Bay). If this debate goes ahead I will bring a relatively unique perspective on both their plight and their recidivist nature (one notable convict ancestor was jailed no less than seventeen times, after serving his original sentence), and how the harsh environmental conditions also played a major role in shaping their collective stories. As I mentioned in a previous post others spent years in work camps after serving sentences (Point Danger, Fingal, Tumbulgum), and yet others again were "specials" at Port Macquarie until 1847, after the penal settlement closed in 1832. Due to the amount of family research that has been completed, and general historical accounts of these areas, I am substantially across most aspects of their lives, and the conditions in which they lived.

Lyonstomenzies

Bencher
Premium Member
People don't want sports & politics to mix when it comes to agendas or causes that they don't believe in or wish to support.
Keep the woke, lefty, multicultural, gay / trans / indigenous sympathisers out of the game.
But froth over the prospect of a right winged Liberal Government throwing $$ at a Brookie upgrade.
The two will always be intertwined.
Can we see an artists impression of this upgrade first please @rj90 ???

Let the frothin begin

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
Just so you know @Red Pill I had convict ancestors at Sydney Cove, Norfolk Island, Port Arthur, Port Macquarie and Redcliffe (Moreton Bay). If this debate goes ahead I will bring a relatively unique perspective on both their plight and their recidivist nature (one notable convict ancestor was jailed no less than seventeen times, after serving his original sentence), and how the harsh environmental conditions also played a major role in shaping their collective stories. As I mentioned in a previous post others spent years in work camps after serving sentences (Point Danger, Fingal, Tumbulgum), and yet others again were "specials" at Port Macquarie until 1847, after the penal settlement closed in 1832. Due to the amount of family research that has been completed, and general historical accounts of these areas, I am substantially across most aspects of their lives, and the conditions in which they lived.
Thanks @Eagles4Life The main point is that the convicts were generally in fact convicts initially for petty crimes driven largely by economic reasons in the homeland. They were mainly representative of a under class. This is the historical generalisation… of course as with anything there are exceptions… I think it is certainly important to understand that some convicts did also go on latter to commit the most inhumane crimes. In part the conditions and terrible treatments could have helped shape this. Regardless your rich family history and research sounds very interesting mate…

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Looks like someone is off their meds. There must be something enjoyable about letting one's mind roam unfettered by the real world, floating like a butterfly from mythical universe to mythical universe.
So where were we? Oh yes, the white convicts brought to Australia were treated worse than slaves (what does that even mean?) So why would anyone such as a young First Nations netballer choose to selectively focus only on the blacks as victims? Also Australia is no longer at war with Japan. Yet the blacks are still whinging?

How mysterious, how could this be? Let's see. Er, Kumanjayi Walker...Cassius Turvey.... Indigenous Australians remaining the most incarcerated people on the planet Earth... Oh now I get it, Donell Wallam's issue with Hancock is not about a 'historical injustice' - racism and Hancock's 'Aboriginal problem' are still current issues.

Hancock proposed genocide by forced sterilisation of Aboriginal people!! Wallam (who never would have existed if he got his way) didn't want to wear his name when representing our country. Good on her. (and all her white treated-worse-than-slaves teammates supported her!)

And Reinhardt could easily have distanced the modern 'Hancock Prospecting' from Hancock's disgusting politics. She has chosen not to. So the one-time richest woman in the world can f off, I support the netballers in this one.

I suspect it would be easier to have no politics in sport if we didn't have rich areseholes owning sports and controlling what goes on the jerseys.

Last edited:

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
In case you missed it

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
Looks like someone is off their meds. There must be something enjoyable about letting one's mind roam unfettered by the real world, floating like a butterfly from mythical universe to mythical universe.
So where were we? Oh yes, the white convicts brought to Australia were treated worse than slaves (what does that even mean?) So why would anyone such as a young First Nations netballer choose to selectively focus only on the blacks as victims? Also Australia is no longer at war with Japan. Yet the blacks are still whinging?

How mysterious, how could this be? Let's see. Er, Kumanjayi Walker...Cassius Turvey.... Indigenous Australians remaining the most incarcerated people on the planet Earth... Oh now I get it, Donell Wallam's issue with Hancock is not about a 'historical injustice' - racism and Hancock's 'Aboriginal problem' are still current issues.

Hancock proposed genocide by forced sterilisation of Aboriginal people!! Wallam (who never would have existed if he got his way) didn't want to wear his name when representing our country. Good on her. (and all her white treated-worse-than-slaves teammates supported her!)

And Reinhardt could easily have distanced the modern 'Hancock Prospecting' from Hancock's disgusting politics. She has chosen not to. So the one-time richest woman in the world can f off, I support the netballers in this one.

I suspect it would be easier to have no politics in sport if we didn't have rich areseholes owning sports and controlling what goes on the jerseys.
Hey SER8 it appears you may have had another one of those Freudian slips again. The first paragraph is virtually autobiographical about yourself mate. Let me repeat for you “ Looks like someone is off their meds. There must be something enjoyable about letting one's mind roam unfettered by the real world, floating like a butterfly from mythical universe to mythical universe.”
I don’t honestly know if you mean it all not ….this is bloody hilarious mate….
Like some others on here….. we see you….

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Meanwhile, the issue I was thinking of when I posted this topic was not so much that any one incident - eg the netball jerseys, or the Manly Everyone in League jerseys - is right or wrong or a good or bad idea. Rather, that issues arise in professional sport all the time. That sports, especially high profile sports, project a message, which is often subtle and not highly visible.
In the netball example, the Hancock sponsorship would have had the Hancock name representing Australia in international competition. Anything wrong with that? Well obviously some people now think so!
Therefore it is divisive. Therefore it should it not be in sport?
Seems to be what some are suggesting?

Seagles68

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Fair enough. cheers
Morning @Red Pill - so I had another read of my fly in, sh!t on, fly off note from my weary brain and I was simply making an observation that discussing the plight of convicts in the context of the latest issue considered politics in sport (the netball) could well open a can of worms. You noted in your reply that your comments take nothing away from the impacts placed on indigenous people and I acknowledge that. However, you then mention the idea of victimhood and I guess that's where I lose you a bit. Unfortunately, (or fortunately) I have to fly off again to do something else so I would make another quick observation that colonisation and in this case, the plight of convicts (and there's no question from me that their lives were not miserable) at the time of "settlement" and the long term and ongoing consequences of that "settlement" on indigenous people is profound. I think this can be said for other First Nations people around the planet. And I really need to say this - I'm not indigenous and I don't want to be seen to be speaking for them coz clearly I'm not and they don't need someone like me doing that for them. They are more than capable of speaking for themselves. I guess I'm just a bit uncomfortable with the "victimhood" in this context. Anyway, gotta fly!

Last edited:

chuckee

Formerly CJAeagle
Hey SER8 it appears you may have had another one of those Freudian slips again. The first paragraph is virtually autobiographical about yourself mate. Let me repeat for you “ Looks like someone is off their meds. There must be something enjoyable about letting one's mind roam unfettered by the real world, floating like a butterfly from mythical universe to mythical universe.”
I don’t honestly know if you mean it all not ….this is bloody hilarious mate….
Like some others on here….. we see you….
The loony lefts latest craze is telling people they need to get on their meds when they don’t agree with what you say, it’s all they’ve been saying about a particular famous person recently too.

People could take a leaf out of your book RP. You should be commended on how you have moved on and forgiven with past wrongdoings involved in your life.
You look at things with a positive outlook and don’t hold grudges, grudges aren’t healthy.

manly al

First Grader
And yet in a sad or unfortunate irony , a proportion of good folk with previous convict ancestors would have readily tolerated the Black birding and exploitation of both islander and indigenous people . Plus the or some general intolerance that seemed to perpetuate for decades to many new arrivals and over time let alone the indigenous community . Probably could apply the same outcomes to segments of the population in the U S where many people would have been persecuted in their original home lands but also then readily condoned the slave trade there and ongoing discrimination policies . Now seems to be some social mindset to over correct some past wrongs , not in every instance but out of proportion in quite a few instances . So sport and politics , inseparable in many cases but when they intermix , really seem to need the right or helpful context and sense of proportion .

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
Is that it? Is that the extent of your rebuttal?
‘No, I’m not wrong, you’re wrong!’
Very persuasive, not.
Hey SER8 I would happily debate you any day and double or nothing you on those passive aggressive jibes you like to give.

So with minus the jibes please state what you are trying to say and how that differs from the context I decided to bring to the table in regards to the politics of victimisation… How for political reasons some forms of victimisation seems to be preferences over others. I used two examples.
1. Being the convicts and how this appears not to be acknowledged anymore.
2. Low cost goods produced in lower social economic countries, I mentioned some Asian countries.

I know you are not really interested in what others think unless they agree with you but I will go through the charade if need be.

Look forward to your response.

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
The loony lefts latest craze is telling people they need to get on their meds when they don’t agree with what you say, it’s all they’ve been saying about a particular famous person recently too.

People could take a leaf out of your book RP. You should be commended on how you have moved on and forgiven with past wrongdoings involved in your life.
You look at things with a positive outlook and don’t hold grudges, grudges aren’t healthy.
Thanks mate. As you know SER8 really has little substance… I am so glad he is no longer a mod anymore or I suspect people like us may likely be canceled…

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
Morning @Red Pill - so I had another read of my fly in, sh!t on, fly off note from my weary brain and I was simply making an observation that discussing the plight of convicts in the context of the latest issue considered politics in sport (the netball) could well open a can of worms. You noted in your reply that your comments take nothing away from the impacts placed on indigenous people and I acknowledge that. However, you then mention the idea of victimhood and I guess that's where I lose you a bit. Unfortunately, (or fortunately) I have to fly off again to do something else so I would make another quick observation that colonisation and in this case, the plight of convicts (and there's no question from me that their lives were not miserable) at the time of "settlement" and the long term and ongoing consequences of that "settlement" on indigenous people is profound. I think this can be said for other First Nations people around the planet. And I really need to say this - I'm not indigenous and I don't want to be seen to be speaking for them coz clearly I'm not and they don't someone like me doing that for them. They are more than capable of speaking for themselves. I guess I'm just a bit uncomfortable with the "victimhood" in this context. Anyway, gotta fly!
Fair enough Mate. My quick reply is have you ever been to old Sydney town when you were younger? Or heard of the cat of 9 tails…etc…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18