keep politics out of the game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
You do realise I was pointing out the irony of the post I quoted? You do realise I wasn’t necessarily endorsing the argument, just pointing out the hypocrisy? You do realise you too could have pointed this out in response to the original post I was replying too?
If you say your being ironic.. I believe you HKE… I just don’t see the debate on here as leverage in the sense of being something that would require forgiveness from any point of view here… if that is what the original post was also saying then my message refers to that as well… I guess I just did not see it that way. Anyway it appears both of us agree that there are no victims here as a direct result of the debate… cheers RP

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
If you say your being ironic.. I believe you HKE… I just don’t see the debate on here as leverage in the sense of being something that would require forgiveness from any point of view here… if that is what the original post was also saying then my message refers to that as well… I guess I just did not see it that way. Anyway it appears both of us agree that there are no victims here as a direct result of the debate… cheers RP
To be fair, I don’t think I was being ironic. I think I was suggesting the irony (or is it hypocrisy) in the post I quoted.

highlandeagle

Where eagles soar
You wouldn't. Your not a leftist sook!

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
I know you are clearly not interested in any facts that may question your dogged beliefs.
What about our relationship with Japan ? My grandfather and many of his generation were prisoners of war and treated inhumanely outside the Geneva convention during WW2 and here we are now planning to conduct military exercises with them in the top end. Note Japan is the only country that has attempted to invade Australia in the modern era and here we are now joining forces as allies. The Japanese virtually destroyed my grandfather’s life but I think this union with Japan makes sense as we need to forgive and forget and move on for the better. Not wallow in resentment… and cry victim at every opportunity….
I hear you. I understand you think highly of your grandfather and empathising with what he went through. I respect you are trying to move past that.

The dogged beliefs you allude to apply equally to your stand, my friend (feathered or otherwise).

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
I hear you. I understand you think highly of your grandfather and empathising with what he went through. I respect you are trying to move past that.

The dogged beliefs you allude to apply equally to your stand, my friend (feathered or otherwise).
Fair enough but in my example if I am willing to forgive and move on how does this mean I am. Dogged in my beliefs? That does not seem to correlate.
Also the purpose of this example was just not about me but Australia as a whole. How Australia has chosen to forgive the only country that has actually attacked Australia militarily since its federation…
By the way I am passionate about my beliefs but I am always open to objective points and logic and the poster I am responding too in the above to my knowledge has offered virtually nothing in his arguments except for ideology and moral grandstanding etc.

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
Fair enough but in my example if I am willing to forgive and move on how does this mean I am. Dogged in my beliefs? That does not seem to correlate.
Also the purpose of this example was just not about me but Australia as a whole. How Australia has chosen to forgive the only country that has actually attacked Australia militarily since its federation…
By the way I am passionate about my beliefs but I am always open to objective points and logic and the poster I am responding too in the above to my knowledge has offered virtually nothing in his arguments except for ideology and moral grandstanding etc.
Have you really forgiven and let go to what happened to your grandfather? (No need to answer that publicly, if not comfortable)…

Eagles4Life

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
**** politics
Great blues track @Captain Moondog Just remember though that Blues music was the original protest music, utilised by African Americans to express their despair at social injustice. This was particularly so in the work gangs (prison labourers) that replaced slave labour, after the American Civil War. Blues has always been protest music i.e Political Blues

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
When we look at slaves we don’t seem to look back at the Australian convicts. They were mainly economic criminals at best and treated in an appalling manner taken away and stripped from their families both men and women alike. Shipped to the other side of the world in slave like conditions arguably worse and then once getting to Australia used as slave labour and regularly tortured.. these people seem to now be remembered in Australia as invaders… Australian convicts were leased to private citizens as slaves as well. The convicts were the original white settlers in Australia.. it seems in some cases victim hood is selective

Eagles4Life

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
When we look at slaves we don’t seem to look back at the Australian convicts. They were mainly economic criminals at best and treated in an appalling manner taken away and stripped from their families both men and women alike. Shipped to the other side of the world in slave like conditions arguably worse and then once getting to Australia used as slave labour and regularly tortured.. these people seem to now be remembered in Australia as invaders… Australian convicts were leased to private citizens as slaves as well. The convicts were the original white settlers in Australia.. it seems in some cases victim hood is selective
This post will definitely open a can of worms @Red Pill I will raise you though, the blackbirding of Melanesian indentured labourers and the exploitation of Indigenous Australian workers, as both being forms of slavery, just in other names.
I also feel that some of my ancestors (convicts - Second & Third Fleets) were employed under slave-like conditions as cedar cutters in work camps, for some years after their initial sentences were served. They worked alongside Indigenous Australian workers, and some of those family & community connections continue to present day....

Eagles4Life

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
and then there's the donkey vote.
Trump supporters? Actually, I think its Democrats who are regarded as the "Donkey Party" in the USA. The Republicans are Elephants evidently??? I have no idea why ..... Perhaps someone with a greater knowledge of American politics could enlighten me.
donkey_elephant3.jpg

Last edited:

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
This post will definitely open a can of worms @Red Pill I will raise you though, the blackbirding of Melanesian indentured labourers and the exploitation of Indigenous Australian workers, as both being forms of slavery, just in other names.
I also feel that some of my ancestors (convicts - Second & Third Fleets) were employed under slave-like conditions as cedar cutters in work camps, for some years after their initial sentences were served. They worked alongside Indigenous Australian workers, and some of those family & community connections continue to present day....
I am not sure why my point needs to open a can of worms @Eagles4Life the original Australian convicts were treated worse than slaves and that is fact…we seem not to acknowledge it anymore

The point is we have moved on from this as we have too. . I think we need to focus on real slavery happening today if we are bloody serious and not pick and choose our crusades. In my my career I have travelled to a lot of overseas factories I spent years doing it.
Most factories where we buy our clothing and basic simple goods imported say from China, Vietnam, Malaysia etc are mostly in comparison to Australian conditions are slave pits. I could go into a lot of details into this. Even the endorsed fully audited factories to some degree but we blindly buy our goods in a lot of cases for the cheaper price…. The whole thing is a can of worms believe me.. getting back to the main topic of this thread not only is sport for wrong or right being politicised the whole area of victimisation now is as well….

Eagles4Life

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I am not sure why my point needs to open a can of worms @Eagles4Life the original Australian convicts were treated worse than slaves and that is fact…we seem not to acknowledge it anymore

The point is we have moved on from this as we have too. . I think we need to focus on real slavery happening today if we are bloody serious and not pick and choose our crusades. In my my career I have travelled to a lot of overseas factories I spent years doing it.
Most factories where we buy our clothing and basic simple goods imported say from China, Vietnam, Malaysia etc are mostly in comparison to Australian conditions are slave pits. I could go into a lot of details into this. Even the endorsed fully audited factories to some degree but we blindly buy our goods in a lot of cases for the cheaper price…. The whole thing is a can of worms believe me.. getting back to the main topic of this thread not only is sport for wrong or right being politicised the whole area of victimisation now is as well….
Opening a can of worms is often a positive thing @Red Pill ........

Seagles68

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Given the US is almost my 2nd home, I could go on about that ......... but I won't. Similarly, I could discuss @Red Pill 's history of colonisers/convicts and the impact on indigenous Australians but man, that would take more energy than I have to spare. I still have a footy season to prepare for. And I don't mean that as smart arse comment @Red Pill coz I don't like to do that. Actually, now I think about it, I really should just stick to footy and silly comments. Oh look, it's time for bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18