[Resurrected] Kane Elgey our new 5/8

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
So he’s pretty much the worst of Green without any of the good bits.

Let me chew on that M & M

I think it means we have a player who is equal or superior to Green except in kicking. He is also over 7 years younger and has years of development left in him. His kicking game will develop further, though its not bad now. As I have so often pointed out Cliff Lyons did not show his amazing skills until he was around 25 years old. Elgey turns 25 early next year. Up until then he was just a player with potential and some developing sublime skills.

I'm fairly comfortable with Elgey at 6. He is natural half, and Dylan Walker is a natural centre. Croker was a rookie, and in my opinion was very average. Hodkinson may have been able to do the job, but Trent Barrett inexplicably played him off the bench at hooker (what on earth was that all about?!:banghead:). Elgey will turn up with NRL experience and although he isn't amazing, he knows what is expected at this level. It's not a guessing game and it doesn't leave us wondering. We know what we are getting, and in my opinion he will go alright.

Let me chew on that M & M

I think it means we have a player who is equal or superior to Green except in kicking. He is also over 7 years younger and has years of development left in him. His kicking game will develop further, though its not bad now. As I have so often pointed out Cliff Lyons did not show his amazing skills until he was around 25 years old. Elgey turns 25 early next year. Up until then he was just a player with potential and some developing sublime skills.
Please Bearfax, don't compare Cliffy with Elgey at any stage of their careers. I gagged myself on all negative talk regarding Elgey until Round 6. But Geez your making it hard on me.
(Because I find you are one of the posters here that put forward intelligent thoughts, I'll take it on board (Elgey). But I'm not happy. Happy to be proved wrong though.....(again)....Oi!....who put the again in?!

Let's hope LG is hungry for success after being giving this shot.
Having been demoted to ISP and now a chance to play NRL could be a real motivation for him.

Please Bearfax, don't compare Cliffy with Elgey at any stage of their careers. I gagged myself on all negative talk regarding Elgey until Round 6. But Geez your making it hard on me.
(Because I find you are one of the posters here that put forward intelligent thoughts, I'll take it on board (Elgey). But I'm not happy. Happy to be proved wrong though.....(again)....Oi!....who put the again in?!

I never said that Wombat. That's your interpretation. I was saying that you cant judge a player until he reaches his best playing days. But having said that we have no idea what Elgey will do for Manly. He may fail, but he may also get us back near the top. He doesn't need to be a super star attacker. He just needs to get the backline functioning. I was trying to point out that you need to wait to see. If you had seen Lyons back at Norths when he was 24, you would have said, 'yeah fairly good player, good moves but no star in the making.' Mind you I thought he had the skills, but when Manly brought him across all the noise was about Mitchell Cox who Manly got from the same team. There was virtually no talk about Lyons. You never know. Lyons was signed up with the Sharks in 1981, couldn't crack a spot, went back to the country, then to Norths in 1983, where he played his first first grade games as a 22 year old. Therefore 18 months before coming across to Manly, without recognition.

Last edited:
I never said that Wombat. That's your interpretation. I was saying that you cant judge a player until he reaches his best playing days. But having said that we have no idea what Elgey will do for Manly. He may fail, but he may also get us back near the top. He doesn't need to be a super star attacker. He just needs to get the backline functioning. I was trying to point out that you need to wait to see. If you had seen Lyons back at Norths when he was 24, you would have said, 'yeah fairly good player, good moves but no star in the making.' Mind you I thought he had the skills, but when Manly brought him across all the noise was about Mitchell Cox who Manly got from the same team. There was virtually no talk about Lyons. You never know. Lyons was signed up with the Sharks in 1981, couldn't crack a spot, went back to the country, then to Norths in 1983, where he played his first first grade games as a 22 year old. Therefore 18 months before coming across to Manly, without recognition.
All good. Hopefully they put Elgey on a staple diet of hot chips and bungers in the preseason.

All good. Hopefully they put Elgey on a staple diet of hot chips and bungers in the preseason.

No worries Wombat. Maybe we need to find another Menzies as well. But I agree that up until now Elgey hasn't set the world alight, but then he had some nasty injuries that slowed him up for a time. I'm hoping a new club and being alongside his claimed favourite player when he was a junior (DCE), we might see a rebirth, or is that just to get into DCE's support group. Hope so. We need someone who can set TT, Walker and Kelly alight. Oh and by the way are you trying to flatter me with the 'one of the posters putting forward intelligent thoughts' line. Shame on you. Keep up the good work.

From what i have been told by someone that knows Kane well from a personal and professional perspective is that he is a great bloke that was the fall guy in a poor defensive structure at the titans. The change of clubs will be good for him.
Poor defensive structures put in place by?
Neil ****ing Henry.

From what i have been told by someone that knows Kane well from a personal and professional perspective is that he is a great bloke that was the fall guy in a poor defensive structure at the titans. The change of clubs will be good for him.
Maybe.. but no defensive structures can be at blame for poor one on one missed tackles I seen this year. Hopefully a big preseason working on this area can improve his defense

I'm fairly comfortable with Elgey at 6. He is natural half, and Dylan Walker is a natural centre. Croker was a rookie, and in my opinion was very average. Hodkinson may have been able to do the job, but Trent Barrett inexplicably played him off the bench at hooker (what on earth was that all about?!:banghead:). Elgey will turn up with NRL experience and although he isn't amazing, he knows what is expected at this level. It's not a guessing game and it doesn't leave us wondering. We know what we are getting, and in my opinion he will go alright.
Trent didn’t want to place too much pressure on Hodko’s non existent knees... signed him as an organising half (or so he told us at the time) but had a rethink after witness his explosive speed and lateral movement at training. It’s called the Barrett innovation effect.

Trent didn’t want to place too much pressure on Hodko’s non existent knees... signed him as an organising half (or so he told us at the time) but had a rethink after witness his explosive speed and lateral movement at training. It’s called the Barrett innovation effect.
Like Barrett's first year where he wanted dce all over the field as the only play maker and defences targeted him and destroyed our attack.

Hodkinson may have been able to do the job, but Trent Barrett inexplicably played him off the bench at hooker (what on earth was that all about?!

I think that when we lost Api and Fainu had demonstrated, that whilst he went OK, he was not up to 80 mins at hooker, in his first few games his defense dropped off a fair bit ..... then plans changed ....

If Barrett had played Walker at Centre and Hodgo at 5/8 .... we had no one on the bench to cover and spell Fainu ... (other than Brown and M. Wright ) ..... and in several games there were 15 min periods where our ruck defense was ripped to pieces ...... Given Walker had shown he had improved as 5/8 it became a logical move to put Hodgo on the bench to spell Fainu ....

Not an ideal solution, and maybe not the correct one. ... but with only 21 fit players .... not to many alternatives ....

I think that when we lost Api and Fainu had demonstrated, that whilst he went OK, he was not up to 80 mins at hooker, in his first few games his defense dropped off a fair bit ..... then plans changed ....

If Barrett had played Walker at Centre and Hodgo at 5/8 .... we had no one on the bench to cover and spell Fainu ... (other than Brown and M. Wright ) ..... and in several games there were 15 min periods where our ruck defense was ripped to pieces ...... Given Walker had shown he had improved as 5/8 it became a logical move to put Hodgo on the bench to spell Fainu ....

Not an ideal solution, and maybe not the correct one. ... but with only 21 fit players .... not to many alternatives ....
Hahahaha.... c'mon Woodsie mate. While Lewis Brown is average, you can't possibly defend Barrett's decision to have it the way he did. That was complete and utter stupidity from Barrett. They could have had Hodko at 6, Dylan at centre and Manese at hooker with Brown on the bench (or even Wright). But to have Hodko at reserve hooker was dumb.... completly dumb.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8