Kane Elgey -->Manly√

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
We need a couple of decent prop/backrower signings. Lane, Perrett, Brown going. I don't see the need to sign LG unless one of Hodk, Cust,Tom W ,Croker are going.

Agree with the first part, and I’m sure they’ll add some.

You are right though ,we need to find some money for a hard line running,skilled, attacking 2nd rower.Cant rely on paper machete Sirro..

is Josh Jackson available or Elliot, even Klemmer he can play 2nd row & prop .... the doggies need some salary cap relief

Now LG is gonna save us? LOL watch his defensive efforts in the last 10 minutes against Penny P’s yesterday.
Rewatch our whole team's defensive efforts in the last 14 minutes we played against them. Penrith can be attacking freaks when they're on.

A quote from Ryan James ,

"It would be handy if we could keep him but if there was a club who wants to pick him up, he'll be outstanding for them.

"He has one of the best kicking games going around. The way he reads a game and leads a team around makes him one of the best young talents I've seen."

James played on the left edge beside Elgey in his outstanding debut season in 2015, after he was the Holden Cup player of the year in 2014.

"I want him here, but you can't have everything," said James. "He's a quality player and maybe a change of scenery might be good for him.

"He's definitely an NRL player and I wouldn't like to see him go overseas yet.

"He can defend. He puts his body in front of them. Halfback is a hard place to defend when you have much bigger men running at you and you're not working from the inside to help a smaller defender."
The full source for this is below. On the basis of this, I am willing to give him a chance - got to be better than our numbnut experiments this year.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/27...ten-man-kane-elgey-still-has-plenty-to-offer/

Teammates of "forgotten Titan" Kane Elgey have sprung to his defence, saying it would be a travesty if the talented playmaker was lost to the NRL next season.

Elgey, who has not been picked by Garth Brennan since round seven and is not in his plans for next season, was on standby for AJ Brimson before the 19-year-old five-eighth proved on Friday he had overcome his concussion before Sunday's clash with the Warriors at Cbus Super Stadium.

Brimson getting the all-clear means Elgey will be left to again battle for Tweed Heads in the Intrust Super Cup a few kilometres away.

While there has been some interest from NRL clubs, Elgey has more lucrative deals on offer from Super League, including the Catalans Dragons where former Gold Coast teammates Greg Bird and David Mead play.

Gold Coast's Maroons representative Jarrod Wallace and skipper Ryan James said Elgey, at 24, still has too much to offer the NRL and he is one of the best organising halfbacks in the Telstra Premiership.

Elgey's defence has been criticised but James defended his mate's ability to tackle and Wallace said he had been a victim of team line-up changes around him.

"He's very unlucky to be where he is," said Wallace.

"At the start of the year he had three or four back-rowers changing each week on his edge, and different centres.

"I think he was hard done by to be back there [in the ISC] but full credit to him, he has gone back to Tweed and played outstanding footy.

"If he was to get his chance again before the year is out I know he would take it with open arms. He loves the club and wants to do the best he can and is an outstanding guy who works hard.

"It would be handy if we could keep him but if there was a club who wants to pick him up, he'll be outstanding for them.

"He has one of the best kicking games going around. The way he reads a game and leads a team around makes him one of the best young talents I've seen."

James played on the left edge beside Elgey in his outstanding debut season in 2015, after he was the Holden Cup player of the year in 2014.

"I want him here, but you can't have everything," said James. "He's a quality player and maybe a change of scenery might be good for him.

"He's definitely an NRL player and I wouldn't like to see him go overseas yet.

"He can defend. He puts his body in front of them. Halfback is a hard place to defend when you have much bigger men running at you and you're not working from the inside to help a smaller defender."

Elgey was in fine form in the early rounds, with four try-assists, three line-break assists and nine tackle breaks, but was dropped on the back of defensive lapses in the round seven 26-14 loss to the Cowboys in Townsville. That night he had Bryce Cartwright, whose defensive deficiencies have been well documented, stationed inside him and winger Phillip Sami, in his only game as centre, outside - causing indecision on the left edge.

Cartwright was given the position for the next two games (during which he missed 12 tackles). Brimson was handed his debut in round 10 and has been outstanding defensively and runs directly with enthusiasm but does not possess a natural ability to dictate play and find space for others – putting more pressure on Ash Taylor as the team's sole playmaker.

Brimson has gradually taken more responsibility in the past few weeks and laid on a good try with a cut-out pass to Sami against the Knights last Sunday, but Brennan says his likely future is at fullback.

Brennan is known to be keen next season to reunite Taylor with Tyrone Roberts, who took on a mentoring role with the young No.7 in 2016 while Elgey was sidelined for the season. But room will have to be made in the salary cap for that to happen.

But can he teach him how to tackle?

DCE is an excellent defender, probably one of the best defending halves in the comp. Just look at the number of tackles he makes each week compared to others, including the big names. Yes he could teach Elgey a thing or two about defence.

As for the issue regarding Croker, Cust, Tom W. and Hodko? Croker wont be with us next year, Cust is not in the 30 and is still only 19 so will probably be Blacktown half with Metcalfe next year. Hodko has a year left and will be back up. Only question is Tom W. He has a year left on his contract and must make a position his next year or he'll struggle to remain at Manly. No way Kelly or Walker will go. They will be our centre partnership for a few years to come. And Suli? He'll be with us for a couple of years at least. He's only 19. I see Anderson on the wing some time next year. I see Parker moving to the forwards.

The thing with Elgey is that he is only on a 2 year contract. He'll be in the 30 but if he doesn't perform he'll be in the Reggies for much of that time. My fear is not for Kelly or Elgey. Kelly here to stay. Its Tom W. If he doesn't get some consistent mongrel into that talented body of his he may find himself with another club. Tonnes of potential, but needs to assert himself, take control.

Probable backline next year with back ups in brackets

Tom. T (Anderson).
Tuafua (Anderson, T.Wright)
Walker (Suli, Funa, T. Wright)
Kelly (Suli, Funa, T. Wright)
Suli ( Anderson, T. Wright)
Elgey (T. Wright, Hodko)
DCE (Hodko, Elgey...maybe Cust or Metcalfe)

Last edited:
I don’t need to re watch our teams efforts, I was talking about LG. I urge you to watch the piss poor effort he made in stopping a try late in the game yesterday. Why is it that when we are linked to a player, they suddenly get all this support. LG is another Prima Donna. If we buy him, I will be underwhelmed!

I’m sure you’d be overwhelmed if we bought say Morgan or Munster but I’d like you to explain to me how we could possibly afford another $800-$900k player??

The fact is we can’t , so I’d suggest Elgey is a bit of a “ wing and prayer” type recruitment, cheap ( as the Titans are paying some ) , talented but with some flaws.

A player very very similar to Blake Green who everyone raves about but whose defence is absolute crap!!

I think he’s a fair signing, for the $$.

If it was $900k a yes I’d jump on your bandwagon , but if it’s $200k a year then at least let him have a shot.

No doubt means that Croker will not be retained now and with Jono Wright also retiring , signing Elgey is worth a shot , Also Croker and Jono "s cap allocation can supplement the existing contracts of back line players such as Suli and Funa and Anderson . who can definitely represent some really promising careers ahead for Manly [ Suli in particular of course ] Unless Elgey can go to another more consistent level , still can not see him offering an improvement on the D C E and Walker half "s combo . , he will get his opportunity but again i rate him more of an above average depth signing . Think that his best position is as a 7 and he certainly will not be displacing D C E .. Also a further indication that Barrett sees Tom Wright: more suited as an outside back , i reckon that he could go O K as winger [ suli as a centre but time will tell ]

Please help me ... with the number of YARTS with Elgey in them .... have I missed the announcement that he has signed ???

I’m sure you’d be overwhelmed if we bought say Morgan or Munster but I’d like you to explain to me how we could possibly afford another $800-$900k player??

The fact is we can’t , so I’d suggest Elgey is a bit of a “ wing and prayer” type recruitment, cheap ( as the Titans are paying some ) , talented but with some flaws.

A player very very similar to Blake Green who everyone raves about but whose defence is absolute crap!!

I think he’s a fair signing, for the $$.

If it was $900k a yes I’d jump on your bandwagon , but if it’s $200k a year then at least let him have a shot.
So it will be a vicious cycle. If elgey plays put of his skin his market value will rise. Then in two years time we wont be able to afford him. Then what? Another prayer player?

More than aware we are struggling with cap pressure and enticing talent to our club, and I hope Elgey ends up being a good signing. Realistically though, he is a Titans throw away player which fills me with despair. And he was crap yesterday, I watched the game.
The thing that is really bothering me with Manly is an apparent lack of consistency and effort. I know I regularly bag Barrett, because I don’t believe he has what it takes to make us hungry and consistent. Signing stop gap players seem to be our new recruitment strategy.
I will support 100% any player that takes the field for us, and I rarely criticise any of them. But I would love to see somebody get the best out of our squad. If Trent can polish up all the rough edges and exhibit some game plans in the future, I will be the first to congratulate him.
It has been a very disappointing season, and unfortunately the Manly brand is suffering accordingly.
Let’s hope all those responsible at the club have a red hot go at turning this all around in 2019

All fair comments!

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8