Kaeo Weekes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Got to give you a plus. Well researched. But I went through each of them and what I found was many were not regular first graders, many came back only at the end of their career, not at their peak, some were away only for 1-2 years.

Yes a worthy effort but I think its not the same as someone like Gutherson at the peak of their game returning. Weekes may come back, I'm not denying that. But if he establishes himself as a valued member of another club, I cant see him returning, especially with the salary cap issue. Vast majority of those names were pre 1998 when salary cap was introduced and several not regular first graders. . Others like Hill, Cunningham etc came back at very end of their career for one year and would have been on cheaper salaries. Only perhaps Hopoate, Hodkinson, maybe Haumono, since salary cap came into play, were still top first grader standard. But I'll concede you did a good job.
I agree with your summation. Nearly all the Sea Eagles who returned were at the end of their careers & not in much demand by other clubs. I mentioned that two had successful returns. Ian Thomson played in the 1982 GF side & was part of the 1983 campaign. After his return, Stuart Davis became a premiership winner in 1987.

I think some other clubs have been more successful in bringing back top line players. For example, Justin Hodges had stints at the Broncos and the Roosters before playing 11 further seasons with the Broncos. Darius Boyd played the last 6 years of his career with the Broncos, including the 2015 GF.

Last edited:
Agree with you there. The only thing I still don’t understand is why Hoppa Jnr got the boot after playing 20 games on the wing. As far as I could see, he wasnt injured. And Ricky replaced the suspended Criss with a bloke that has played bugger all first grade.
Hopefully Weekes can have a good off season and kick Frawley out of 5/8.
Lets hope Sticky didn't give Hoppa Jr the Josh Hannay treatment.

Re Gutho

Much like the Fainu brothers it was not as much a choice of cutting the player rather the need to free up salary cap space and having to off load an asset that had some value

When Gutho was let go we had signed Marty T and Dylan Walker both of who became available a year before they were meant to (As an example Marty T was released from the final year of his contract) which meant we had to free up some cap space

So it would seem the club is again making the calculation that an established player in Brookes is a better bet than either the Fainu brothers or Kao. Lets hope history does not repeat itself

Lets hope Sticky didn't give Hoppa Jr the Josh Hannay treatment.
Don't think it's happy families in Canberra these days, Sticky's under the pump, they limped into 8th on a - 137 f/a kinda got in under false pretenses. Weeks will have to hit the ground running, their supporters are rapidly losing faith in what Rickys selling good luck to you Kaeo your going to need it.

Re Gutho

Much like the Fainu brothers it was not as much a choice of cutting the player rather the need to free up salary cap space and having to off load an asset that had some value

When Gutho was let go we had signed Marty T and Dylan Walker both of who became available a year before they were meant to (As an example Marty T was released from the final year of his contract) which meant we had to free up some cap space

So it would seem the club is again making the calculation that an established player in Brookes is a better bet than either the Fainu brothers or Kao. Lets hope history does not repeat itself
Im thinking DCE wants to go out with 1 more title before he retires. To develop the Fainu brothers might close that window for him, whereas with Brooks you have a readymade experienced half that might give him the best chance in a shorter time frame. This is not to say the Fainu brothers won't be great players, but they are longer term. Although if it was me I would have kept both and spent the money used for Brooks on a high calibre forward.

May have been able to somehow keep Latu for another season if the club was really insistent but think that Samual was off contract and no way to warrant or being able to match the 500 k offered by the West Tigers ,.
Then being prepared to off load Tuilagi , really then only leaves Shu and Burbo as suited to partner Haumole in the back row . Maybe that recent West Tigers forward signing could well come into contention as an edge even 13 prospect .
Brooks could even switch to 7 when D C E is not available for likely rep duties but would not underestimate Humphries progressing a bit more next season to i st grade 7 standard .
Arthur is not a bad all round footy player , seems in good favor at the club , some limitations it would seem but maybe he still has some improvement as well .
Really unfortunate with Kaeo but every indication that his role next season would not have been much different to this season and Gordie looks like he could be occupying a bench spot next season at the very least , so reducing another option for Kaeo to be considered as a utility role bench player ..
If he can establish himself at another club , doubt that he would be returning any time soon but if he does not go to the Raiders maybe he could just opt to stay a bit longer considering that he only extended for another season just some time ago .
Guys like Paulo and Talau while not major signings and the form of Faulalo still reducing Kaeo 's opportunities at Manly somewhat , then Brooks "s signing .
Good individual playing ability [ Kaeo ] but obviously also needs the right opportunities to show he can be a consistent i st grader

May have been able to somehow keep Latu for another season if the club was really insistent but think that Samual was off contract and no way to warrant or being able to match the 500 k offered by the West Tigers ,.
Then being prepared to off load Tuilagi , really then only leaves Shu and Burbo as suited to partner Haumole in the back row . Maybe that recent West Tigers forward signing could well come into contention as an edge even 13 prospect .
Brooks could even switch to 7 when D C E is not available for likely rep duties but would not underestimate Humphries progressing a bit more next season to i st grade 7 standard .
Arthur is not a bad all round footy player , seems in good favor at the club , some limitations it would seem but maybe he still has some improvement as well .
Really unfortunate with Kaeo but every indication that his role next season would not have been much different to this season and Gordie looks like he could be occupying a bench spot next season at the very least , so reducing another option for Kaeo to be considered as a utility role bench player ..
If he can establish himself at another club , doubt that he would be returning any time soon but if he does not go to the Raiders maybe he could just opt to stay a bit longer considering that he only extended for another season just some time ago .
Guys like Paulo and Talau while not major signings and the form of Faulalo still reducing Kaeo 's opportunities at Manly somewhat , then Brooks "s signing .
Good individual playing ability [ Kaeo ] but obviously also needs the right opportunities to show he can be a consistent i st grader
With all the recent backline signings Kaeo would of been well down in the pecking order anyways.

Weekes possibly a bit like Tom Wright in that he has all the physical gifts but possibly lacks either the assertive attitude or maybe the game awareness to be in a playmaking role in NRL.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if he makes the grade at some future time but does seem a little way off just now.
Weekes at 21 is still very young. Luke Metcalf for example just had a bit of a breakthrough this year, and he's almost 25 and still only has 19 games (12 this year).

I read somewhere towards the back end of the season that they were looking at moving Parker in to the backrow.

For mine burbo and haumole should be our backrow with a fitter more reslient schu at 13

I read somewhere towards the back end of the season that they were looking at moving Parker in to the backrow.

For mine burbo and haumole should be our backrow with a fitter more reslient schu at 13
If a Parker movement to the back row is successful he could become one great utility player on the bench! Dylan Walker type transition, minus the halves skills.

Yeah not going to get universal approval on here but could well be the case with Parker being looked at as a potential 2 nd rower , utility type bench cover also
Think that Shu may be best suited to trying to get his mojo back on an edge , does seem appealing if he could slot into an effective 13 role but doubt that in the present circumstances and his playing situation that it would be the best fit for him

Would love that to happen, but most of the time it doesn't. Players develop links with the club that accepts them. I read somewhere that Gutherson still is emotionally linked to the Sea Eagles, but he's entrenched in the Eels side, is Captain, has gained worth in that club so even if it was possible to get him back, it would be unlikely he would. Perhaps in his twilight years, but not when he's at his best.
He lives at Collaroy so yes he‘s still emotionally linked to the Sea Eagles. He’s still friends with Tom and Jake too.

can anyone post the canberra times article

Kaeo Weekes' Canberra Raiders tour goes well​

by David Polkinghorne

The Canberra Raiders were impressed with Kaeo Weekes and Weekes was impressed with the Raiders, with both parties hopeful he could join the Green Machine on a two-year deal.

But the deal was dependent on the Manly Sea Eagles releasing him from the final year of his contract.
Weekes signed a one-year extension with the Sea Eagles this year - an extension that was yet to be announced by the club.

Manly reportedly told the 21-year-old at the start of September he was free to leave if he found a better offer elsewhere.

But because he's still contracted to the Sea Eagles until the end of next year he still needed approval from them to make the trip to Canberra - which Manly gave.

It looked increasingly likely Canberra could be his new home after he toured Raiders HQ last week.
The Raiders see him as a versatile playmaker who can fill the roles of five-eighth, fullback or hooker - the roles he's played in his 12 NRL games so far.

He's also played one game at halfback for the Sea Eagles in the NSW Cup.

The Raiders were in the hunt to bolster their playmaking stocks following the departures of Jack Wighton (South Sydney), Matt Frawley (Leeds) and Brad Schneider (Penrith) this season.

Their departures have left them with only Jamal Fogarty and Ethan Strange as halves with NRL experience, although they have signed Newcastle utility Simi Sagagi for the next two years.
Sasagi has played in the Knights halves in the NSW Cup, but the Raiders saw him as a centre/second-rower with plenty of utility value.

Fogarty's contract was up at the end of 2024, but the club was in talks to extend that for another season - although Fogarty has said he will test the market come November 1 when he's free to talk to other clubs.

The Raiders were also hopeful Parramatta will release young halfback Ethan Sanders from the final year of his contract to come to Canberra next season.

Strange has played just the one NRL game, making his debut in the centres against the Melbourne Storm in Melbourne in round 24.

But he has shone at five-eighth in NSW Cup this year.

Frawley backed Strange to establish himself as an NRL player in 2024, although he urged patience when asked if he was ready to slot straight into the No.6 jersey.

He described Strange as an athlete, giving him similarities to the departing Wighton.
Frawley also felt the Raiders would still look to bolster their halves depth given all the departures this season.

He felt it pointed towards an exciting future for the Green Machine, despite the loss of experience in the spine.

"You don't want to rush these things, but I've got a massive wrap on Ethan and more importantly he's a really good kid that wants to learn, get better and wants to take things on," Frawley said.

"He's a different player to me - he's about 20ks faster than me, he's an athlete and I'm definitely not one of those.

"It's exciting for the club. They're still going to have to get some depth there too."

1698196486940.png

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10