Just does my head in

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
The story of Dylan Walker since he has been at Manly:

2016 - bought as a centre, but played 5/8 due to Killer's reluctance to play in the halves. They finally swapped mid-season.

2017 - We got Blake Green and Walks was back to centre where he won the positional Dally M.

2018 - Missed the first 9 games after PM's XIII injury, but still played centre despite no Green. After Croker's injury he was back to 5/8 and still played there after his own injury (eye socket thanks to his fight with Curtis Scott) and Barrett wanting to play Hodkinson off the bench.

2019 - Again missed the start (stood down) and returned in the centres. Then after losing Elgey and Croker, along with Des being a bit reluctant to continue playing then rookie Cust, Walks was back to 5/8.

2020 - With Fainu stood down and Api let go, Croker was moved to backup dummy half. But with Des again reluctant to play Cust or drop either Parker or Suli (or Garrick or Jorge), Walks was again the 5/8 until his foot injuries killed his season.

2021 - Playing the unfamiliar role of fullback (only played once before this year - in 2016) because of Tom's injury 2 weeks out from the season start.

We've rarely let him settle in one position, let alone his best position. The one time we did ... he excelled.

A few points I would add

I believe Dylan was actually signed to play #6 (link from December 2015)

The biggest issue for me is that Walker has never been great while defending at centre. He always seemed to fire out of the line, miss his target, arm grab or a combination of all three.

This wasn't such a big issue in 2017 as we had a habit of simply scoring more points (mostly via Tom/Jake/DCE/Green, plus the support cast all being fit and firing) than we conceded. We ranked 4th for most points scored that season but 6th for most points conceded - the only teams conceding more points than us finished 12th-16th.

At least when Dylan defends at 5/8 there was always multiple people to help him in the middle of the field, and he does not have to make defensive decisions like centres do.

Fast forward to 2021 and he would offer a lot more than Suli or Parker in attack... but seeing how opposition teams currently use our right edge as a highway it doesn't really inspire much confidence that Dylan would do any better in that regard if he were placed there. But it is still a better option than him playing fullback.

So, he should play centre... but it has been 5 years and I just don't think we have ever got amazing value for money out of him.

I wouldn't get rid of Walker. I still think he has plenty to offer if he plays in his rightful position.

I've already said I'd target Nicho Hynes and Connor Watson.
I'd look at Jayd'n Sua as a decent money signing.

I'd be releasing the usual suspects.

Jake would move straight back to prop. He plays that way anyway.

With any luck, Lawton lives up to the hype because I'm not confident Manase will ever be back. Maybe make some enquiries about luring Starling away from Canberra. He's not going to see much game time playing behind Hodgson.
Like your thinking. Happy with all three on reasonable coin. If we can find a way to not pay overs, gives us the foundation for a much more balanced squad. With or without Fainu.

A few points I would add

I believe Dylan was actually signed to play #6 (link from December 2015)

The biggest issue for me is that Walker has never been great while defending at centre. He always seemed to fire out of the line, miss his target, arm grab or a combination of all three.

This wasn't such a big issue in 2017 as we had a habit of simply scoring more points (mostly via Tom/Jake/DCE/Green, plus the support cast all being fit and firing) than we conceded. We ranked 4th for most points scored that season but 6th for most points conceded - the only teams conceding more points than us finished 12th-16th.

At least when Dylan defends at 5/8 there was always multiple people to help him in the middle of the field, and he does not have to make defensive decisions like centres do.

Fast forward to 2021 and he would offer a lot more than Suli or Parker in attack... but seeing how opposition teams currently use our right edge as a highway it doesn't really inspire much confidence that Dylan would do any better in that regard if he were placed there. But it is still a better option than him playing fullback.

So, he should play centre... but it has been 5 years and I just don't think we have ever got amazing value for money out of him.

No argument from me that his defense at 5/8 has actually been more solid than at centre. But his best season at Manly was the one where he only played centre.

Again you are not accepting that there has to be a team or teams wanting to sign the players we are offloading. The reality is that not many of our players in any will be picked up by NRL squads with this new game. Elliott I disagree - he was a very safe and solid backup - not fl;ash but gee we would use him right now.
Actually I am accepting it and teams here or O/S would want some of them I have no doubt, otherwise by your theory every single one of them will have to retire as they will have nobody wanting them when their contract ends in 2021. Every team has different needs with a different mix of strengths and weaknesses. Personally, I think many of them are reserve grade quality, but teams will pick them up to fill a gap or for depth.

Elliot had an ACL injury and wasn’t great to begin with - why should we have resigned him?

Last edited:
Actually I am accepting it and teams here or O/S would want some of them I have no doubt, otherwise by your theory every single one of them will have to retire as they will have nobody wanting them when their contract ends in 2021.

Elliot had an ACL injury and wasn’t great to begin with - why should we have resigned him?
Nope not at all - what I am saying is that besides Sirro if he goes and I think they keep Funa, Walker and maybe Sipley but the rest would struggle to make an NRL roster. They certainly could play NSW Cup or play in England. I am not sure I have seen you say these players are NRL quality and I guess that you think they all should not be in our side. So if as at least the majority think they should not be in our side and we are running last... just which sides would pick them up? Now with Elliott if he is fit and I think I read he is signed to play in England... but if he is fit and he is here... Walker plays in the Centres - it is that simple. He might not be a dynamic fullback but he is safe and steady and better than Walker is as a fullback.

Nope not at all - what I am saying is that besides Sirro if he goes and I think they keep Funa, Walker and maybe Sipley but the rest would struggle to make an NRL roster. They certainly could play NSW Cup or play in England. I am not sure I have seen you say these players are NRL quality and I guess that you think they all should not be in our side. So if as at least the majority think they should not be in our side and we are running last... just which sides would pick them up? Now with Elliott if he is fit and I think I read he is signed to play in England... but if he is fit and he is here... Walker plays in the Centres - it is that simple. He might not be a dynamic fullback but he is safe and steady and better than Walker is as a fullback.
Nope what at all? I am saying some would get picked up - not all ten. I quite clearly was talking about the lack of recruitment for hooker and fullback - not ditching all ten players early - we only need two.

As I said, they didn’t prioritise the positions to recruit for properly; meaning that they could also have not signed two of our new players and got a hooker and fullback instead.

I don’t think we will keep Siro and Walker; however, I do think other teams will pick them up.

Walker doesn't want to play centre, on top of that he was improving big time as a 5/8 when he got consistent playing time and a steady squad. (DCE and Walker looked sharp and dangerous as a pairing in the back end of 2019 and the start of 2020 before it all went downhill)

Should of just kept the squad consistent with Walker and DCE as the halves, Levi extended for a year and not signed Foran.(even though he has looked the more dangerous and direct compared to DCE, his body wont hold up long term though)

Consistency and stability was required this year before unloading dead wood, Levi would of improved in his second year after a full offseason with the squad(not saying anything groundbreaking but much better than what is on offer now) and used the funds allocated to
Foran for some future quality young depth.

Manly would be performing the same just slightly better under the previous rules and speed of the game as we have lacked speed, power, headsup footwork and punch especially in the backrow and outside backs for way too long.(I've been saying this for years now)

Walker to 5/8 on the left, Foran off the bench to play a more free role not just limited to hooker responsibilities but mainly playing a central linkman in the attacking half(with other players chiming in at hooker in a pure distribution role when in more attacking field positions) and DCE on the right.

Offers more points of attack not just the edges with lame tap ons, some game management through the middle along with kicking options.

Would be too difficult to get this going now as you would require a good offseason to bed it in place but you can still simplify it to a certain degree---nothing to lose at the moment.

Croker obviously drops off the bench, Cade and Foran offer way more options and able to fill in more postions and hopefully the limited playing time for Foran preserves his body to a degree.(in saying that even short periods at hooker requires more defensive involvement and his body might not hold up)

Schuster is not going to be a 5/8 in the long term unless he drops a few kg's and i doubt Manly see him as a 5/8.

Last edited:
No argument from me that his defense at 5/8 has actually been more solid than at centre. But his best season at Manly was the one where he only played centre.
No one got Centre of the year by being a mediocre defender

Walker also played centre in a winning grand final and his defence was superb

Its frustrating when people say we need to release Walker because he hasn't provided value for money. The fact is that we bought him as a centre, yet this is his 6th season with Manly and he's really only played one of those years as a centre. Otherwise he's played mostly 5/8 with some fullback thrown in.

Walker has played 85 games for Manly:
Centre - 36
5/8 - 44
Fullback - 5

The only year with us he has played exclusively as a centre was 2017. Funny ... he won the Dally M Centre of the Year in 2017.....since then he's only played 11 games there, and none since Round 17 of 2019 (a 20-21 loss to Souffs at ANZ).

Play him as a centre and you'll probably get the best out of him. Problem is that we haven't done that very much.
Fulton and Barrett bought him to fill the 5/8 role. He wasn't shoehorned into the 6 jersey, he came here for that express purpose. He knew it before signing (see below). It was a fail though and not one of Bozo's better recruitment efforts. I agree that his best position is centre.

Walker signs with Sea Eagles

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles are excited to announce the recruitment of Australian representative Dylan Walker to a four year contract.
The 21-year-old marquee signing continues the Club’s impressive off season recruitment drive under new Head Coach Trent Barrett and Strategic Football Consultant Bob Fulton.
Walker commented that he is able and ready to fill the vacant five-eighth positon in the star studded Sea Eagles backline if Barrett moves in that direction.
“I would love to play six alongside Daly Cherry-Evans and inside both Steve Matai and Jamie Lyon,’’ Walker said.
“Five-eighth was my favourite position coming through the juniors and if the coach wants me there I will jump at the opportunity.
“I’m excited to be at such a great Club – once I was moving from Souths, the Sea Eagles was my first and only priority.
“I’m delighted I am now a Sea Eagle.”
Manly Chairman Scott Penn applauded the football department’s continued drive and enthusiasm on building a powerful squad for 2016.
“Trent Barrett and Bob Fulton have worked tirelessly to attract quality players to our Club together with Management,’’ Penn said.
“Dylan Walker will be a favourite with our Members playing alongside some of the best players in the game.”
Coach Trent Barrett said Walker’s signing is a coupe for the Club.
“He is one of the brightest stars in the game – his team-mates can’t wait to play alongside him,’’ Barrett said.
Sea Eagles CEO Joe Kelly said Walker’s signing was a significant momentum boost for the Club.
“Dylan is a rare talent much sought after by a multitude of clubs. His decision to play in maroon and white is a salute to our history and where we are headed in the immediate future,’’ Kelly said.

As for DCE moving to 9 ??? Who here really thinks that is going to happen ? I'd love to see it , just so I could gauge his reaction and see how he responds.

Anyway 3 more seasons to go on that front....or 2.8 to be exact.

To be honest what we need is simply to give guys a chance and see if they cut it. Can we do any worse. I don’t think it’s possible is it?
That is where I’m at too. Do it now. Don’t wait till we’re 0-12. Too much pressure.

Nope what at all? I am saying some would get picked up - not all ten. I quite clearly was talking about the lack of recruitment for hooker and fullback - not ditching all ten players early - we only need two.

As I said, they didn’t prioritise the positions to recruit for properly; meaning that they could also have not signed two of our new players and got a hooker and fullback instead.

I don’t think we will keep Siro and Walker; however, I do think other teams will pick them up.
totally agree with the lack of a hooker and backup fullback. All I can guess is that they thought the De Belin case was going to go in his favour and that Fainu's ban would then be lifted. Again just a guess because surely they wouldn't have banked on Croker/Cust otherwise. But in any case it has blown up in their face and without a Turbo back up.. same thing. I still think Siro is possible to resign IF he is injury free and has a good rest of the season but on a greatly reduced contract... otherwise yes he is goorne and I think Walker stays. But gee the overhaul hopefully will be exciting.... hopefully! I still don't think many of our outcasts (the off contract ones) will be picked up but if they are... they wont be playing NRL.

totally agree with the lack of a hooker and backup fullback. All I can guess is that they thought the De Belin case was going to go in his favour and that Fainu's ban would then be lifted. Again just a guess because surely they wouldn't have banked on Croker/Cust otherwise. But in any case it has blown up in their face and without a Turbo back up.. same thing. I still think Siro is possible to resign IF he is injury free and has a good rest of the season but on a greatly reduced contract... otherwise yes he is goorne and I think Walker stays. But gee the overhaul hopefully will be exciting.... hopefully! I still don't think many of our outcasts (the off contract ones) will be picked up but if they are... they wont be playing NRL.
Sironen hasn't had an injury free season since he started playing football New club in 2022

Walker has one good season at the rabbits and has been rubbish for us New club in 2022

Between him and DEC I don't know who does more sideways running and spinning around in circles

I didn't see any of the panthers players doing that on Thursday night as all they did was run hard straight

The club needs to answer why a complete review of the football club wasn't conducted in the offseason as everyone knows that the rot started last year

Sironen hasn't had an injury free season since he started playing football New club in 2022

Walker has one good season at the rabbits and has been rubbish for us New club in 2022

Between him and DEC I don't know who does more sideways running and spinning around in circles

I didn't see any of the panthers players doing that on Thursday night as all they did was run hard straight

The club needs to answer why a complete review of the football club wasn't conducted in the offseason as everyone knows that the rot started last year
Absent owners not giving a **** I’d say!!

Agreed about Siro - I just happen to think he is a pretty decent backrower.. yes when fit. Dont agree aboutr Walker - he needs to be put back and Centre and left there. He is easily the best Centre we have. DCE yes is a headless chook - he has never been a game manager - and he needs to play behind a powerful go forward pack.. something we don't have at the moment. Not sure a review is required we were hamstrung by contracts which all end this year on.

Let Walker have an opportunity at centre again [ or at 6 if needed ] and see how he goes , Just a shame that there has not been an opportunity to Walker and Suli as centres so far this season . No harm in suggesting who may or may not should be retained but have to have some decent or like for like replacements to bring in without paying overs Would definitely keep Walker ahead of Siro but maybe to keep both on further reduced contracts [ Say Walker 350 - 75 , Siro certainly less

Agreed about Siro - I just happen to think he is a pretty decent backrower.. yes when fit. Dont agree aboutr Walker - he needs to be put back and Centre and left there. He is easily the best Centre we have. DCE yes is a headless chook - he has never been a game manager - and he needs to play behind a powerful go forward pack.. something we don't have at the moment. Not sure a review is required we were hamstrung by contracts which all end this year on.
I agree Sirro was an excellent backrower - in 2019... that year he was running lines, providing offloads, damn he was even putting in deft little kicks...

last year was injury-riddled for the big fella and he has not been the same player - and may never be again... maybe other players are contributing too by giving him poor ball delivery but personally I think Curtis is toast and we should be looking to replace him either with an edge forward that is not injury prone or backing our youth to develop into the role...

A review into Des's coaching methods and our strength and training systems was warranted after last years efforts when clearly our game plans/fitness didn't suit the new rules

2021 has only confirmed that we are behind just about every other club with the exception of the cowboys and dogs who we are on a par with

There were reasons the dogs got rid of Des and Donny We didn't seem to take notice of it and were living on past glories when we re-signed them both while not understanding that the game is now very different

A review into Des's coaching methods and our strength and training systems was warranted after last years efforts when clearly our game plans/fitness didn't suit the new rules

2021 has only confirmed that we are behind just about every other club with the exception of the cowboys and dogs who we are on a par with

There were reasons the dogs got rid of Des and Donny We didn't seem to take notice of it and were living on past glories when we re-signed them both while not understanding that the game is now very different
Just respectfully disagree

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11