Just does my head in

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
Just watching sides last couple of weeks copping injuries left right and centre and filling the positions with decent standard replacements is doing my head in.Half the number sevens in the comp are out injured right now.
We are no worse off than most.Nearly every team has a couple of capable nines to start with.

How the hell can an elite NRL Top 30 squad (who had just run 15th the previous year and were losing by 40 each week ) before a ball is kicked

-Have no hooker

-No halfback backup actually training there

-No back up fullback remotely capable for an injury prone star

-So many players deemed “not ready “ for first grade ( and a few playing junior reps ffs ) who will not even be considered unless half the team gets on the wrong plane- tuitavake, Sione Fainu, burbot , Koula , Keith ( before he passed)Throw in Ola who never got a look in prior to injury and guys who seemingly won’t even be CONSIDERED to replace total long term FLOPS .

Then of course there is a bloke in the dock in a couple of months who won’t play this year regardless of his court case result while his replacement was signed with an ACL.( good player going forward but did they notice his moon boot given our lack of hookers).

We effectively play with a squad of 21 with a weak top 13 to start with before a ball is kicked, even without injuries.

We can blame the new rules all we like. There is just no excuse for this stuff. Front office / coach decision/ football dept funding is the big difference between the best and worst, not the rules. The rules just make it a whole lot worse.

The front offices at the weak sides not surprisingly have been all over the place. Even a team like Brisbane can be be done over by idiots like White and Morris at the helm.Same with the infighting at Dogs.

It’s mind boggling basically.

If the same mob run out next week I’m done with all the bull**** excuses. Heads need to roll or quality people employed to take over or assist.It’s lunacy.

Last edited:
Just watching sides last couple of weeks copping injuries left right and centre and filling the positions with decent standard replacements is doing my head in.Half the number sevens in the comp are out injured right now.
We are no worse off than most.Nearly every team has a couple of capable nines to start with.

How the hell can an elite NRL Top 30 squad before a ball is kicked

Have no hooker

No halfback backup actually training there

No back up fullback remotely capable

So many players deemed “not ready “ for first grade ( and a few playing junior reps ) who will not even be considered unless half the team gets on the wrong plane- tuitavake, Sione Fainu, burbot , Koula , Keith ( before he passed)Throw in Ola who never gets a look in and guys who seemingly won’t even be considered to replace total long term flops. Then of course there is a bloke in the dock in a couple of months who won’t play this year regardless while his replacement was signed with an ACL.

We effectively play with a squad of 21 with a weak top 13 to start with before a ball is kicked, even without injuries.

We can blame the new rules all we like. There is just no excuse for this stuff. Front office / coach decision making is the big difference between the best and worst, not the rules. The rules just make it worse.
It’s mind boggling.
It really is just crazy. Every Manly supporter on here and other forums could see the glaring weaknesses yet somehow the people in charge couldn't see it coming. It borders on complete incompetence! It serves them right what is happening this year cos it should NEVER have been this way. Surely they learnt from last year! Absolutely terrible recruitment for the most important positions on the field!

It really is just crazy. Every Manly supporter on here and other forums could see the glaring weaknesses yet somehow the people in charge couldn't see it coming. It borders on complete incompetence! It serves them right what is happening this year cos it should NEVER have been this way. Surely they learnt from last year! Absolutely terrible recruitment for the most important positions on the field!
Agree with you Robbo BUT it doesn't just border on complete incompetence, it demonstrates complete incompetence in recruitment. In business it would be a sackable offence for one or more of the HR team. Failing to fill key team positions, and then parachuting in unskilled/unqualified staff to fill the gaps. Just laughable. Unfortunately it's not funny.

Did they even do a review after last season?
Because if they did then Des did it. ( Need a Gould type external review )
The casual viewer can see our deficiency in key positions and our players who are not first grade, the players who are first grade are way out of form or out of position. ( And thus their depth)
We have players in the 30 who can only be there because they can be paid on minimum wage, they won't see first grade. ( Burbo, Koula, Harper, tippy, Haumole, Sipley)
Then there is the players in the 17 who are not first graders.
Croaker, Parker, Garrick, jetski, Siro.

How the hell can an elite NRL Top 30 squad (who had just run 15th the previous year and were losing by 40 each week ) before a ball is kicked

-Have no hooker

I really hate to say this but didn't we lay into Zoolander when Api did his foot against the Warriors a few years back and then we basically had to beg and plead with the league (Greenturd) to be able to upgrade Fainu because ... we only had one recognised hooker in the squad.

Now almost exactly the same thing has happened. We let go Levi leaving us literally with only Fainu as a recognised hooker ... only he's been stood down since before last season and will not play until at least mid-year, if at all. And this one we can't go blaming on a rookie coach because Des is no rookie.

I really hate to say this but didn't we lay into Zoolander when Api did his foot against the Warriors a few years back and then we basically had to beg and plead with the league (Greenturd) to be able to upgrade Fainu because ... we only had one recognised hooker in the squad.

Now almost exactly the same thing has happened. We let go Levi leaving us literally with only Fainu as a recognised hooker ... only he's been stood down since before last season and will not play until at least mid-year, if at all. And this one we can't go blaming on a rookie coach because Des is no rookie.
Court case too late to play this year regardless of result

Did they even do a review after last season?
Because if they did then Des did it. ( Need a Gould type external review )
The casual viewer can see our deficiency in key positions and our players who are not first grade, the players who are first grade are way out of form or out of position. ( And thus their depth)
We have players in the 30 who can only be there because they can be paid on minimum wage, they won't see first grade. ( Burbo, Koula, Harper, tippy, Haumole, Sipley)
Then there is the players in the 17 who are not first graders.
Croaker, Parker, Garrick, jetski, Siro.
again this overlooks a simple fact that everyone wants to ignore - 10 contracts end at the end of this year. These contracts were signed for a pre 2020 game which is now significantly different to the game in 2019. We just can't walk away from those contracts without paying a very hefty price as in paying a significant part of their contract for another club to take them. It is so easy to sit on the sidelines and whinge about players not being up to it. It is very very true that most of the 10 off contract are simply not up to the new game which evolved pretty suddenly in 2020. In 2019 if everyone recalls we made the semis and were probably rorted in the semis against Souths. So we had the players for a pre 2020 game! It has now changed massively and our contracts have not enabled us as well as many other teams to change. Agreed there are many other issues - Des not picking the right players in the right positions and the poor effort of players and certainly Des not having a back up hooker. Now with the backup fullback I would love to go back and check which of the Silvertails on here absolutely sledged Brendan Elliott and yet are now slamming Des for not having a backup. Just some facts that can't be overlooked. I gather the Silvertailers who know everything just can't grasp this simple fact or just want to pretend it doesn't exist or it isn't real. This is not aimed at you @Manly76 - just restating facts that people ignore.

You
again this overlooks a simple fact that everyone wants to ignore - 10 contracts end at the end of this year. These contracts were signed for a pre 2020 game which is now significantly different to the game in 2019. We just can't walk away from those contracts without paying a very hefty price as in paying a significant part of their contract for another club to take them. It is so easy to sit on the sidelines and whinge about players not being up to it. It is very very true that most of the 10 off contract are simply not up to the new game which evolved pretty suddenly in 2020. In 2019 if everyone recalls we made the semis and were probably rorted in the semis against Souths. So we had the players for a pre 2020 game! It has now changed massively and our contracts have not enabled us as well as many other teams to change. Agreed there are many other issues - Des not picking the right players in the right positions and the poor effort of players and certainly Des not having a back up hooker. Now with the backup fullback I would love to go back and check which of the Silvertails on here absolutely sledged Brendan Elliott and yet are now slamming Des for not having a backup. Just some facts that can't be overlooked. I gather the Silvertailers who know everything just can't grasp this simple fact or just want to pretend it doesn't exist or it isn't real. This is not aimed at you @Manly76 - just restating facts that people ignore.
You can get rid of players easily. Happens every day. Contracts mean nothing. Tell them they can look elsewhere and they are gone.Another club or super league.
Clubs and players respecting contracts is a joke these days.And the duds he keeps picking are on peanuts in the grand scheme of things for a start. Parker Boyle JetSki Croker etc

In fact with a few of these duds like Parker Boyle JetSki and Croker they were actually extended.at some stage ffs.!!Which genius thought they were the key to our future under any rules.
It’s a cop out in the modern game. You want a player gone they are generally gone, especially the cheap ones.

And most of this is caused by the same weak management / coaching staff paying big overs for a few players to start with so they don’t get to skate on this. The club has nowhere to hide here. We are a laughing stock and it needs fixing.

Last edited:

That's a good point. If Covid hadn't hit and the game was still as it was in 2019, even with Turbo missing and no hooker I don't think we'd be as bad off as we are now. Problem is that when the NRL was looking at being the first major sport anywhere to be back playing live on television, they made rule changes to try and make the game more attractive to those who wouldn't normally watch, but would now because nothing else was on. And those rules have again been changed/evolved to keep the new viewers still interested.

Some teams have adapted very well to the changes. Manly unfortunately have not adapted well simply because the players we have (and coach??) were there for the way it was, not the way it now is. We are stuck in pre-2020 mode and we're getting killed on-field for it.

Come on let the truth be told des thought and still thinks these guys are stars..he saw a hooker in croker but he failed miserably there and even though cust runs rings round croker when he goes on field des will continue with his star hooker croker..he feels dylan walker is our best backup fb..he has failed there to...picks old boy foran over developing schuster in the 6 is another failure..there are many but his biggest and most important that gets overlooked the most is our fitness and agility..massive failure

That's a good point. If Covid hadn't hit and the game was still as it was in 2019, even with Turbo missing and no hooker I don't think we'd be as bad off as we are now. Problem is that when the NRL was looking at being the first major sport anywhere to be back playing live on television, they made rule changes to try and make the game more attractive to those who wouldn't normally watch, but would now because nothing else was on. And those rules have again been changed/evolved to keep the new viewers still interested.

Some teams have adapted very well to the changes. Manly unfortunately have not adapted well simply because the players we have (and coach??) were there for the way it was, not the way it now is. We are stuck in pre-2020 mode and we're getting killed on-field for it.
yes sadly and we have players who are for a pre 2020 game ie Boyle, Jetski, Parker etc

Take a close look.

Parker,Boyle,Croker,Funa,Garrick,Davey,Gosiewski,Cust,Tuipulotu,Burbo,Saab,Foran,Harper,
Koula,Olakauatu,Keppie ,Paseka,Sipley,Taufua.

Three quarters of our team are on or near bargain basement prices.
Pay peanuts ,get monkeys.
How many of these monkeys would be playing first grade at any of the other clubs???
NONE !!!!!

Des apparently not in charge of recruitment and retention.

The person/people who signed Daly,Turbos,Tapau to their contracts is the root of all our evil.
Probably a Fulton/Penn combo..

Last edited:
You

You can get rid of players easily. Happens every day. Contracts mean nothing. Tell them they can look elsewhere and they are gone.Another club or super league.
Clubs and players respecting contracts is a joke these days.And the duds he keeps picking are on peanuts in the grand scheme of things for a start. Parker Boyle JetSki Croker etc

In fact with a few of these duds like Parker Boyle JetSki and Croker they were actually extended.at some stage ffs.!!Which genius thought they were the key to our future under any rules.
It’s a cop out in the modern game. You want a player gone they are generally gone, especially the cheap ones.

And most of this is caused by the same weak management / coaching staff paying big overs for a few players to start with so they don’t get to skate on this. The club has nowhere to hide here. We are a laughing stock and it needs fixing.
That is not correct - you simply cannot get rid of them easily. Contracts yes don't mean much - BUT there needs to be another club to want/take them and then there is the "small" issue of what part of the contract we have to pay which then is included in the cap. If we want to get rid of a player badly and there is not much interest from other clubs and in this 2020 initiated game some of our players would not be wanted by most clubs then we would have to pay a massive part of the contract. Thank goodness Barrett wanted Waddell. Pity he didnt want Jetski, Boyle etc. Also my understanding is that none of them were extended in 2020 well not that I could find. Now Des has almost a fresh slate from here. Des will be held accountable in my mind as to which players he signs and the performance in 2022 and 2023. Of that there is absolutely no doubt.

And as much as I don't want to say this ... you might be able to add Jake to that list. His dominant defensive game has become obsolete in this new order. Once a dominant tackle was revered. Now it just attracts a six again.
hmmmm my sentimentality wants Jake to be that Manly great and I still think (maybe hope) he can be that glue that holds us together.... especially when he has some quality players around him that suit the new game not the dinosaurs like Boyle etc.

What's the average NRL contract length? Less than two years.
If it is three years then 10 of your 30 are never signed for the next year. Every year.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8